Headed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg...any tips?

Cades Cove can take upwards to a day because of the drive to get there and once you're in, you're at the mercy of the cars in front of you. Still a good time and the picnic area at the entrance is a must.

Buy your liquor before you go. If I'm not mistaken, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are moist. And the prices in Gatlinburg are steep. So I've been told....

The aquarium is OK. I liked Chattanooga's better.

Hotel rooms are cheaper in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville.

Be prepared to walk.

G'burg is wet 6-7 stores that I can remember seeing. I have always found G'burg as cheap as the other two, you just have to be willing to "negotiate" at some of the smaller hotels (not the chains)

Talking about where you are staying there are some pretty good deals right now on Chalets. We have stayed in one the last 4 or 5 times we have went and it is great, not much more than a room at a chain motel.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone has the "must-see's" covered, such as: Cades Cove, The Old Mill, and The Apple Barn.

Go up to Clingman's Dome - if you're not afraid of heights. It's the top of the Smokeys, and the view is unbelievable.

If you're into crafts, check out The Great Smoky Mountains Arts & Crafts Community. It's an 8 Mile Loop of Shops, Studios and Galleries that starts in downtown Gatlinberg. Fair warning though: If you're not into crafts...and your wife really is...you'll be coating yourself in honey and whistling for bears by about mile three! :creepy:

Check out this site for information on road and other closures going on in May.

Take the sky tram up to Ober Gatlinburg. There is skating, shopping and some really unhappy penned up bears up there. The trip up is spectacular!

The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is awesome. It takes you on a slow, one-lane/one-way tour up into the mountains above Gatlinburg. It starts by the Convention Center.

The Comedy Barn (in Pigeon Forge) puts on a great family show.

And my all time favorite "little piece of heaven" on the planet - Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail (.5 mi. east of the Sugarlands Welcome Center)

If you decide to do some hiking go to the visitirs center when you enter the park and pick up some info. There are several waterfalls you can hike to. If you want something easy. After you pass the visitors center on the left is a nice concrete path/ loop you can take. It's a nice and relaxing walk

If you want something easy. After you pass the visitors center on the left is a nice concrete path/ loop you can take. It's a nice and relaxing walk.
That is the Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail that I was talking about. :thumb:

You HAVE to eat at the Smokey Mountain Brewery. The pizza there is probably the best I have ever eaten! :

Great place to eat. I had the chicken cheese steak. It was very good.

The aquarium is great.

We liked going to the top of Clingman's dome.

That is the Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail that I was talking about. :thumb:

Yeah, I couldn't remember the name. Thanks. If you get off the trail near the beginning and go back to the river there's a nice pool of water. I've seen trout rise in the pool on occasion.

Go to the Comedy Barn in Pigeon Forge it is a must. Good clean humor and family fun.

I AGREE TOO!!!

The Comedy Barn is a hoot!! We went with a group of cheerleaders and we all had a BLAST. Since we were with a large group, they took all the girls up on stage and had them participate in the antics. BTW . . . the parents enjoyed it just as much!!

Of course . . . you should also go to the Ripley's Aquarium. Depending upon the ages of the kids you can purchase a multiple ticket for all three of the Ripley activities (aquarium, museum and haunted house). The museum was kinda cool (really liked the floating ball that was outside on the street for everyone to see) and the haunted house was kinda cheesy but the kids (12-14 year olds) really liked it.

Definately find a trail to walk. Most places have brochures telling you how long each trail is and if there is a waterfall. There was one relatively short one that we took our kids on when they were young. Ends up at a waterfall. They loved it. It doesnt cost a thing. God knows you can spend money like crazy downtown.

Horseback riding is also fun. There is a stable in Pigeon Forge, but the better trails are at a stable in Smokey Mountain State Park.

Hope you have a nice chalet with a view.

Great place to eat. I had the chicken cheese steak. It was very good.

The aquarium is great.

We liked going to the top of Clingman's dome.

I ate the chicken cheese steak one night too. Definitely a winner!

You HAVE to eat at the Smokey Mountain Brewery. The pizza there is probably the best I have ever eaten! There is one in Pigeon Forge and in Gatlinburg. Also, if you're a fan of BBQ, hit up Bennet's. It's good stuff! The Ripley's Aquarium is a must see. Also, the wax museum is pretty cool too! And while you're walking through Gatlinburg, stop by Fanny Farkle's and get a corn dog! You won't regret it! :thumb:

Totally agree. My wife and I went there last time. 8 different MicroBrews (If you are into beer) and a great menu.

Don't forget the Smoky Mountain Candy Shop in Pigeon Forge and Huck Finns for the All you can eat chicken.