Headed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg...any tips?

The family is going to take a short weekend trip to Gatlinburg next weekend.

Haven't been there in well over 15 years. I was told I am in for a shock as to the changes there.

The kids will be with us...

Looking for must sees and places we should eat.

Not going to do the Dixie Stampede.

Things that I have been told thus far are:

The Old Mill Restaurant, Apple Barn, and to drive through Cades Cove (sp?) in the early morning or in the evening to see wildlife.

Any advice? I know traffic is an issue, but I had heard in May it is not that bad.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripleys aquarium in G'burg is awesome. IMHO much better than No. KY Aquarium.

We enjoy going down on Sunday or Monday and leaving before the weekend, that helps traffic a bunch. If that is not an option, do your driving EARLY. Go out and work your way back to where ever you are staying. There are tons of putt putts and race tracks for the kids and a couple of really good arcades.

Cades cove drive is not for the week of stomach. Very winding drive for about 30-45 minutes to get there and many a kid has tossed his breakfast on the way out. A friend of mine was there last week however and they saw around 75-100 deer before 9:00am. but his son also upchucked on the way out.

Fudruckers (across the street from Wal-Mart) is a great place to eat. My kids love it. It's basically burgers with a large toppings bar so you can build your own burger. (ps get a few cookies before you leave from the counter by the door)

About all of the pancake places in Pigeon Forge are good, we just tried Red Rooster Pancakes last trip and liked it.

Hardrock in G'burg is good. Damons Grill in PF is good.

Don't know if it is open yet but DOLLYWOOD was surprisingly nice (Think Mini-Kings Island). Some great rides, (Mountain Slidewinder is awesome) good prices, plenty of shage and in May probably not overly crowded.

The Old Mill Restaurant, Apple Barn, and to drive through Cades Cove (sp?) in the early morning or in the evening to see wildlife.

All are good choices. The Sugarlands visitor center at the park entrance is a place where we always stop as well, even if only for a half hour or so.

Dollywood (I'm old enough to have gone there when it was Silver Dollar City) used to have a deal where if you got there after 3:00PM, the next day was free.

Last time I was there, Calhoun's was great for ribs and steaks.

I second the motions for Old Mill, Apple Barn and Cades Cove.

We went through some caves once, I think it was called "Forbidden Caverns" or something like that. It was located back beyond Sevierville, maybe 30 minutes out of town. It would be fun for kids.

I could never get my crew up early enough to do Cades Cove in the morning, but we sure enjoyed evenings there. Pack a cooler or stop at the camp store. Grill some 'burgers or hot dogs or just eat sandwiches in the picnic area at the beginning of the loop. Many times I've seen bears, deer, skunks, squirels and other wildlife right at the picnic tables. Let the kids cool their feet in the streams then try to time your drive so that you finish the loop just after dark. You'll see anything from dozens of deer to wild turkeys, bears, coyotes, raccoons, and many other critters. Be prepared for the "bear jams" and don't plan on being in a hurry. On the way back, take the Gatlinburg bypass and stop at one of the pulloffs overlooking Gatlinburg. Absolutely beautiful view at night.

I guess it's a matter of taste. I know many people who never venture into the park while visiting the area and are content with the attractions and shopping of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and while I enjoy that aspect also, probably 75% of our time is spent in the mountains or Cades Cove.

You HAVE to eat at the Smokey Mountain Brewery. The pizza there is probably the best I have ever eaten! There is one in Pigeon Forge and in Gatlinburg. Also, if you're a fan of BBQ, hit up Bennet's. It's good stuff! The Ripley's Aquarium is a must see. Also, the wax museum is pretty cool too! And while you're walking through Gatlinburg, stop by Fanny Farkle's and get a corn dog! You won't regret it! :thumb:

Others ave mentioned the top restaraunts that I would have ....Old Mill, Apple Barn, Peddler's. I might suggest that there are a few very good pankacke houses in the area but jmo by far the beast is the Log Cabin Pankacke house in Glatlinbug. This one is located toward the upper end of town on the left as you are going towards the National Park. I am trying to remember the nearest stop light # that is close but can't. They do have a very long "Front Porch" with several rocking chairs and the restaraunt is made and decorated on the "log cabin" theme, inside and out.

That place's Balckberry Pancakes are awesome, you have not lived untill you have ad a plate of them ;)!. All of their breakfast meals are great.

Have a great time, my wife and I love that area, the drive to and around Cades Cove is a must, like you hav mentioned very morning or late evening. Dollywood is also a "given", especially if you have kids. There are also some very good eatery's in Dollywood as well. Get the impression that my favorite theme is eating??:D