3-year-old girl finds gun, shoots self in head

jwstum00

I wonder if a intruder come's into your house an intends on doing you harm, would they wait while you unlock your gun an load it so that you could defend your self. I don't think so. I don't think to have a gun an put it under lock an key with the shells in another place all to gether is the best thing, I just think you should have it in a place where kids can not get there hands on it.
If it's not locked up, or locked out, it's not safe.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a loaded gun in my night stand for mine and my family's protection at night. Am I criminally negligent for the storing of my gun? I think not, the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to keep and bear arms.

Again this is a tragic story but no crime here.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

As soundly as I sleep, keeping a loaded gun on the nightstand would only provide the intruders a weapon to shoot me with.

HT721, if you have small children around the home, remember that young ones love to come in to the parent's bedroom after a nightmare or if not feeling well. Are you sure you will awaken before she can get to your gun?

For perspective, I am pro gun ownership. I have several. None are kept loaded nor with the ammo in the same drawer.

well I would and will keep my bedroom door locked during the day where they won't be pilfering around through the dresser to find the gun. I do feel there is responsibility to prevent this I'm just not sure it deserves jail time for the parents of this tragedy. Most of you that are so quick to lock these people up think about if you kid took a kitchen chair stood on it got on the counter and got in to your pills. Like my grandparents always kept their medicine in one of those containers with a SMTWTFS letters on it for each day of the week, should we throw a grandparent in jail if their grandchild climbed up on the counter via the kitchen table chair and got in the pills and died?

I don't want to say the parents aren't at fault here but I don't think it's the type of fault the warrants jail time.

:thumb:

With ownership comes responsibility.

:thumb:

I keep a loaded gun in my night stand for mine and my family's protection at night. Am I criminally negligent for the storing of my gun? I think not, the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to keep and bear arms.

Again this is a tragic story but no crime here.

:thumb: Absolutely, you are not a negligent criminal. I would make sure that I had the gun where a child could not get to it but I easily could if needed. There are quite few in Washington that want to ban guns all together, they say they don't and sugar coat it with their explanations but what people like Kennedy, Clinton, Schumer, Boxer and others want nothing more is a controlled society. That reminds me of another form of government:rolleyes:.....:sssh:

I wonder if a intruder come's into your house an intends on doing you harm, would they wait while you unlock your gun an load it so that you could defend your self. I don't think so. I don't think to have a gun an put it under lock an key with the shells in another place all to gether is the best thing, I just think you should have it in a place where kids can not get there hands on it.
I will say that I do store my guns (unloaded) and ammo in separate places except for one that can be acsessed by me or my wife easily if needed.

I pray that I would never have to make the decision to shoot anyone but if it came down to protecting my family you can bet the farm that I would.

I've never had a gun in my home and I never will.

I hope that you have not just told any criminals this by them reading this or by word of mouth when you have told others. If so, you have given them an open invitation to come in to take what they want and harm who they want, they know that they will have no resistance.

Just something to think about.

I respect your decision and choice not to have any guns in your home, I mean that and this is certainly everyones individual choice and right :thumb:.

My problem is with the ones that do not respect my right to own and keep guns if I so choose to do so, these people can't seem to realize that we have this right. They want to push their views on me and tell me that I shouldn't have the same right to decide on guns as others. As another has said, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America gives us this right.

I personally don't own a gun but do certainly support those that do. I know many people that own guns, especially police officers. Most I know have those guns under lock and key. An officer I know IMMEDIATELY disarms his gun and puts it on top of the refrigerator as soon as he enters his house.

In short, I support the right to own guns, as long as the RESPONSIBILITY goes along with it.

I suspect that out forefathers had a lot more common sense. I doubt many let their three year old children shoot themselves in the head.

Somehow the "right to bear arms" has lost something in today's selfish world.

except for one that can be acsessed by me or my wife easily if needed.
If you have children, or the possibility of even being visited by children, this is where you're making your terrible mistake. We can only pray that you don't have to experience what this family did because of it.

I personally don't own a gun but do certainly support those that do. I know many people that own guns, especially police officers. Most I know have those guns under lock and key. An officer I know IMMEDIATELY disarms his gun and puts it on top of the refrigerator as soon as he enters his house.

In short, I support the right to own guns, as long as the RESPONSIBILITY goes along with it.

I suspect that out forefathers had a lot more common sense. I doubt many let their three year old children shot themselves in the head.

Somehow the "right to bear arms" has lost something in today's selfish world.

Amen to that! With rights, come responsibilities.

I travel to Europe from time to time. I always find that Europeans are facinated with the USA, especially taking the EURO value here. I often hear about how violent the USA is and how fearful they are about traveling here. They seem to be always willing to take the "risk" and love it here.

I recently traveled to Europe where I felt, and WAS totally safe. They insisted it was because guns were forbidden, not like in the USA.

Perhaps this is for a different forum, but as a non gun user, who supports those that do........what IS right?

I personally don't own a gun but do certainly support those that do.

As I respect the ones that chooses not to own or keep guns in their home. I also 100% agree on the bolded part. :thumb:

I travel to Europe from time to time. I always find that Europeans are facinated with the USA, especially taking the EURO value here. I often hear about how violent the USA is and how fearful they are about traveling here. They seem to be always willing to take the "risk" and love it here.

I recently traveled to Europe where I felt, and WAS totally safe. They insisted it was because guns were forbidden, not like in the USA.

Perhaps this is for a different forum, but as a non gun user, who supports those that do........what IS right?

I feel totally safe here in the USA, can't say I'd feel that way in Europe. Did they explain why their burglary rate went up after their gun ban?

I will say that I do store my guns (unloaded) and ammo in separate places except for one that can be acsessed by me or my wife easily if needed.

If you have children, or the possibility of even being visited by children, this is where you're making your terrible mistake. We can only pray that you don't have to experience what this family did because of it.

Bf you failed to include the rest of that statement in my post, I highlighted in in red, I said......""that can be acsessed by me or my wife", meaning and not any children. ( I failed to add that and just noticed it :thumb:)

I also in no way wanted to get away from the tragedy that occured here, prayers from the Rambler family go out for this family.

I hope that you have not just told any criminals this by them reading this or by word of mouth when you have told others. If so, you have given them an open invitation to come in to take what they want and harm who they want, they know that they will have no resistance.

Just something to think about.

I respect your decision and choice not to have any guns in your home, I mean that and this is certainly everyones individual choice and right :thumb:.

My problem is with the ones that do not respect my right to own and keep guns if I so choose to do so, these people can't seem to realize that we have this right. They want to push their views on me and tell me that I shouldn't have the same right to decide on guns as others. As another has said, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America gives us this right.

I don't worry about my home being invaded. Not to say that it can't or won't happen, it's just not something I obsess about.

I have no problem with the ones that choose to have guns in their homes. That is their right and I respect that, but I choose not to have any in mine. Now I do have some pretty nice ball bats from my old playing days.;)

Bf you failed to include the rest of that statement in my post, I highlighted in in red, I said......""that can be acsessed by me or my wife", meaning and not any children. ( I failed to add that and just noticed it :thumb:)
I'm not anti-gun (any more ;)), I'm just really pro-safety.