Shot clock in high school games?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 1920 seconds in a regulation high school game. If a team had to shot every 45 seconds that would be little over 42 shots for both teams combined if each team held the ball until the end of the shot clock. I can not recall seeing many high school games were both teams did not put up a combined 42 shots.

Last year the team I followed played 28 games. That is 53,760 seconds. The team attempted 1246 FGs. That averages 43.14 seconds per their shots. Throw in the other teams attempts and you most likely would average 20-25 seconds per shot. BTW, this is not a team know for a run and gun style, if anything this is one of the more patient teams on offense.

I see no need for the added expense at the high school level. Until you start to see a large number of games where there are less than 42 shots attempts why change the game.

I am sure if you look at the shot attempts compared to the amount of time played for most high schools the average time to shot would be less than the proposed time limit.

There are already enough rules and things that can go wrong in a high school basketball game with the officials, timer, and scorer. Why add another issue.

Good work PupleMustang, very informative and educational. A very good argument as to why a shot clock is not needed. I would have been for it, until I read your post.

The one positive that it would have is what I see going on a lot in women's college basketball. It makes teaching defense easier if you are using a 35 second shot clock.

Put one guard up pressuring the point guard and have them take off 5-6 seconds before they can get the offense setup. Now you only have to play hard defense for about 25 seconds before there is 5 or less seconds on the shot clock and teams start going 1 on 1 and you have forced a hard shot.

I am a defensive-minded coach, though and think you could get kids to buy in to a commitment to defense more. Goals of getting that horn to sound defensively and a shot clock violation could be exciting for a team just like when a teammate takes a charge.

I didn't see the need for a shot clock during the Sweet 16 at Rupp this year, the biggest stage in Kentucky high school basketball. No one held the ball for extensive amounts of time. This is not a big issue at the high school level, and probably wouldn't be a big deal at the college level if not for Dean Smith.

No shot clock. Possession is a big part of the game. If you don't have the ball you can't score. If teams want to slow it down, so be it. I guess I'm from the old school, but I liked Dean Smith's four corner offense. It took discipline and good ball handlers to run that offense. If the defense wants the ball, force the offense to turn it over or foul them.

No. You have places that can't run a normal clock right, let alone a shot clock. There's nothing wrong with working the clock. Nothing.

I have to agree with you. It's hard enough to have someone that can run a regular clock alone. I've been to so many games and the clock person is sitting there no paying attention to the game. The clock gets started late and / or is running when it should have been stopped. A shot clock would then require a school to have additional people needed to run a game and for most schools it's hard enough to get someone to help unless you pay them.

I have thought a lot about it over the years. At times, I think high school should have one. But it would complicate the clock keeper. Most of them are just parents or other volunteers and have enough trouble with basic clock operation. I kept scorebook a lot over the years, but never had the nerve for the clock.

But then you don't see a lot of high school kids hold the ball, even with a big lead late.

So I don't know. A 45-60 second shot clock might be good, but will probably never happen.

My son played his first two years of high school basketball in NY which has a shot clock. It completly changes the complextion of games. They are much faster and players have to be in far greater shape. Why shouldn't one of three classless states at least experiment with a shot clock to see how it impacts games. In the last few minutes of a game, coaches really have to work hard instead of waiting to get fouled. Think how much better the offensive numbers would be for our KY kids when it comes to scholarships.

I dont think there is a need for a shot clock. The longest I may have ever seen a team hold the ball for possesion is maybe a minute, and thats either before half time or to get the last shot in the quarter. Most teams are run and gun now a days so until holding the ball becomes a state wide problem I dont see a call for a shot clock.