Shot clock in high school games?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look for it any time soon. If any state makes a change to the game without the approval / sanctioning by the NFHS (National Federation of High School) which governs high school sports nationally that state WILL NOT get any vote or input for that sport. In Kentucky that body is the KHSAA... and they will not forfiet that right.

I think so... I hate watching games where an inferior team holds the ball for a minute. t is boring and outdated. It is not how the game is played anymore.

You play to win the game. Whatever it takes. And, with schools like Scott Co. getting so many "transfers", limiting possessions and shortening games is one way to give your team a shot.

I am beginning to like it because it would make my job as a coach, much, much, much easier.

You're a coach and still find time to post 26K times???!!!! Most of the coaches I know work year round, and don't have time to post on message boards. WOW!!!!!:jump:

I have to agree. Many programs are already financially challenged. This just adds costs for argueable benefit.

I believe its becoming more and more reasonable for programs to have shot clocks. New gyms have gone up and a lot of smaller and poorer schools have been consolidated. Its a great idea.

You're a coach and still find time to post 26K times???!!!! Most of the coaches I know work year round, and don't have time to post on message boards. WOW!!!!!:jump:

They are just not as good.:D:cool:

Presently, coaching a baseball team and two basketball teams as well as working with my daughter, couple or three times a week in golf.

There are 1920 seconds in a regulation high school game. If a team had to shot every 45 seconds that would be little over 42 shots for both teams combined if each team held the ball until the end of the shot clock. I can not recall seeing many high school games were both teams did not put up a combined 42 shots.

Last year the team I followed played 28 games. That is 53,760 seconds. The team attempted 1246 FGs. That averages 43.14 seconds per their shots. Throw in the other teams attempts and you most likely would average 20-25 seconds per shot. BTW, this is not a team know for a run and gun style, if anything this is one of the more patient teams on offense.

I see no need for the added expense at the high school level. Until you start to see a large number of games where there are less than 42 shots attempts why change the game.

I am sure if you look at the shot attempts compared to the amount of time played for most high schools the average time to shot would be less than the proposed time limit.

There are already enough rules and things that can go wrong in a high school basketball game with the officials, timer, and scorer. Why add another issue.