Meeks with sports hernia, done for year?

letabrotherspeak

There are several sustained whispers that even the original injury was a result of Meeks being roughly told to man up and finish workouts and scrimmages despite pain... can you then be surprised when the players grimly tell their coach that they can play through?

Teach a lesson, and your players learn.

The message was toughen up to a whole team that needed a lot of it. There is always a line between being "hurt" and "injured". Sometimes there is a fine line between this. Too me, this isn't the coaches responsibility as much as it is the players and the Doctor's. I would be willing to bet that each time Meeks played, he had been cleared to play by professionals (trainers, Doctors ect..). Now that there is a specific diagnosis, we can play the hind site game, but if my best player was cleared to play, I would play him whether it be 2 minutes of 35 minutes.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from the SEC teleconference.

Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks has missed five of the Wildcats' last seven games with a hip injury. He's played 18 minutes in the month of February.

But UK coach Billy Gillispie is holding out hope that Meeks can return to the court this season.

"I know that he's trying real hard, and he's spending the proper amount of time (rehabilitating), probably more time than anyone one," Gillisipe said today on the SEC coaches' teleconference. "He hasn't given up, and I definitely haven't given up on having him available."

Gillispie noted that when Meeks was able to play 12 first-half minutes in UK's win at Louisiana State, he made two three-pointers that "really gave us a great deal of momentum."

"He means a great deal to us," Gillispie said.

For now, Gillispie said, there's no sense that Meeks is in need of surgery in the short term.

"They reevaluate on a daily basis, and they're thinking that treatment is the proper way to go right now," Gillispie said. "If it comes to something else at a later time, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

link

Some of you are acting like if he had played in the first half instead of the second you wouldn't have a problem with it. Playing is playing and I think he put him in the Vandy game just to see how hard he could go. Again there's alot more people involved in these decisions than BCG.

I just find it hard to believe BCG would've deliberatly done anything to further the injury. Between trainers, doctors, and Jody saying he could play. What's the longest period he went without playing two weeks I think. Maybe we should be questioning a missed diagnosis instead.

For the first part I bolded, that is exactly what I am saying. I mean if he is good enough to play, then he should be able to play first half as well. Because I mean even a not 100 percent Meeks, is still better than a few other guys we have to play. Also in that Vandy game, we were really struggling to score. So if he was able to play, then why not put him in the game in the first half because he is someone who could help on offense. The whole playing him in meaningless games in 2nd half is not that smart IMO and it could end up costing him a year possibly. It just really don't make much sense at all, and if it was a smart thing to do. Then why don't we ever see any other coach do that when bring a good player back from injury?

As for the second part I bolded, I don't think at all Billy G. was trying to hurt Meeks on purpose or anything. I mean I sure Meeks probably has even said a few times he can play, and that is why he get to play sometimes. So as I said the only problem I have, is if Meeks is able to play. Then you should be able to play in the first half, because he can help the team out. It makes no sense to throw him out there in a meaningless game for no reason, and risk getting him more hurt in a game that is already over and he wont be much help in.

Update from the SEC teleconference.

Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks has missed five of the Wildcats' last seven games with a hip injury. He's played 18 minutes in the month of February.

But UK coach Billy Gillispie is holding out hope that Meeks can return to the court this season.

"I know that he's trying real hard, and he's spending the proper amount of time (rehabilitating), probably more time than anyone one," Gillisipe said today on the SEC coaches' teleconference. "He hasn't given up, and I definitely haven't given up on having him available."

Gillispie noted that when Meeks was able to play 12 first-half minutes in UK's win at Louisiana State, he made two three-pointers that "really gave us a great deal of momentum."

"He means a great deal to us," Gillispie said.

For now, Gillispie said, there's no sense that Meeks is in need of surgery in the short term.

"They reevaluate on a daily basis, and they're thinking that treatment is the proper way to go right now," Gillispie said. "If it comes to something else at a later time, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

link

:thumb:I know I really hope he can play for the UT game because we will need him if we want to beat UT. However I think it is most important to get him back for the Florida game. Because if we can take care of business and beat Ole Miss and USC. Then that Florida game might be the game to decide if we make the tournament.