Meeks with sports hernia, done for year?

letabrotherspeak

Does anyone know for sure what the percentage of games you can play before u can apply for a medical reshirt? I've always thought is what 10%. If this is the case, then the argument whether BCG ruined a year of Meeks eligibility is a non issue. Besides, doesn't the doctors have to have a say so whether Meeks plays or not. If anyone on this board was a coach and the doctors clear him to play and the player says he can play, then you're going to play him. Ricky Boy was faced with the same situation and he didn't play Anderson. Everyone blamed Ricky for not winning the championship because he didn't play DA. Bottom line, this is just another opportunity for some people to take a shot at BCG.

You just made the perfect case for why playing him only late in blowouts a few times is an issue. He was obviously cleared to play the entire game. Agreed?

I believe the standard cut line is 20% of the teams games, but there have been rulings on either side.

It's a risk/reward issue, and right now all you have is risk...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just made the perfect case for why playing him only late in blowouts a few times is an issue. He was obviously cleared to play the entire game. Agreed?

I believe the standard cut line is 20% of the teams games, but there have been rulings on either side.

It's a risk/reward issue, and right now all you have is risk...

He only played one game that was a blowout that I can recall.

I don't get what you're saying here. Yes he played in games where they lost by double digits,but he played quality mins in those games. The only game that doesn't make sense of him playing is the Vandy game. Maybe the LSU game also even though he played in the first half and contributed.So if 20% is the line then playing in the Vandy and LSU game doesn't help him in getting a redshirt anyway.

Has anyone considered whether Meeks wanted to play? Maybe the idea of redshirt season didn't appeal to him for whatever reason. Maybe he want's to be done in four years, and is happy to get as much out of this season as possible. Just a thought.

I don't get what you're saying here. Yes he played in games where they lost by double digits,but he played quality mins in those games. The only game that doesn't make sense of him playing is the Vandy game. Maybe the LSU game also even though he played in the first half and contributed.So if 20% is the line then playing in the Vandy and LSU game doesn't help him in getting a redshirt anyway.

Thats not true. There was one other game this year, when Billy G only put him in during the second half. Billy G said Meeks became availabable to him or something like that. The fact of the matter is twice now this year Billy G has had a weird substitution pattern for him, with only playing him in the second half. Thats the only real problem I have with it. I mean if Meeks is good enough to play, then he should be able to play first half as well. Now I not sure, but those two games he got put in for in the second half, could cost him a a whole year of eligibility.

Has anyone considered whether Meeks wanted to play? Maybe the idea of redshirt season didn't appeal to him for whatever reason. Maybe he want's to be done in four years, and is happy to get as much out of this season as possible. Just a thought.

Fair argument. Kid are wrong a lot more often than coaches...

My point in posting the link is to look at the whole picture. There were games he played only late for no reason. There were also 5 games out of 12 that he played over 30 minutes. Only once did he return for the next game.

My thoughts on Meeks aren't a shot at Gillispie other than to say I think the situation was handled wrong. You take a risk when one of your best players is hurt. Sometimes it goes horribly wrong. Meeks and BCG are there on this one...

Thats not true. There was one other game this year, when Billy G only put him in during the second half. Billy G said Meeks became availabable to him or something like that. The fact of the matter is twice now this year Billy G has had a weird substitution pattern for him, with only playing him in the second half. Thats the only real problem I have with it. I mean if Meeks is good enough to play, then he should be able to play first half as well. Now I not sure, but those two games he got put in for in the second half, could cost him a a whole year of eligibility.

If the cutoff line is 20%, then he would only be able to play in 6 games. He has played in 11. So the two games of playing him in the second half for only a few mins. has no bearing on him being able to redshirt. I'll even give u the LSU game as one that seemed a little strange,but still people need to find 2 more games after these 3 that completely makes no sense of why he played.

Some of you are acting like if he had played in the first half instead of the second you wouldn't have a problem with it. Playing is playing and I think he put him in the Vandy game just to see how hard he could go. Again there's alot more people involved in these decisions than BCG.

Some of you are acting like if he had played in the first half instead of the second you wouldn't have a problem with it. Playing is playing and I think he put him in the Vandy game just to see how hard he could go. Again there's alot more people involved in these decisions than BCG.
If he had only played when healthy, and not while clearly convalescing, perhaps is a better way to frame it...

I just find it hard to believe BCG would've deliberatly done anything to further the injury. Between trainers, doctors, and Jody saying he could play. What's the longest period he went without playing two weeks I think. Maybe we should be questioning a missed diagnosis instead.

I just find it hard to believe BCG would've deliberatly done anything to further the injury. Between trainers, doctors, and Jody saying he could play. What's the longest period he went without playing two weeks I think. Maybe we should be questioning a missed diagnosis instead.
There are several sustained whispers that even the original injury was a result of Meeks being roughly told to man up and finish workouts and scrimmages despite pain... can you then be surprised when the players grimly tell their coach that they can play through?

Teach a lesson, and your players learn.