Best Big Men in the 16th Region

lilj

Selby isnt really a big man but he plays the postion and plays it well. I would say he is the best in the region at the center postion. But the best big man, who doesnt play center would definately have to be Dakotah Eauton. He can shoot the ball great, and will be among the states elite in a couple of years.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about him being the overall best, but Jacob Sparks from Raceland can hold his own with anybody in the region. He is very athletic for a tall kid and has really stepped up for the rams lately. Him and Boyles are really the driving factors behind the Rams, if they have a big post-season then the Rams will have a shot at making it to the regional championship IMO.

Euton is probably the all-around best "big man" in the region because of his abilities to shoot from the outside and work the post. But like I said, Sparks is right up there with him and the other good big men in the region.

The only "big guy" in the 16th playing center would be Blake Pettit. Compared to other regions, the 16th is very small. I wouldnt consider someone 6'4 playing center to be a "big guy", so Pettit, being 6'9, would have to be considered the best "big guy". There might be better centers within the 16th, but nobody with "big guy" size. Going away from center, Dakotah Euton has to be the best within the 16th and in years to come, might be one of the best in the state.

What size do they have to be before you actually consider them a big guy? Just curious as to how you look at this.

Heights for prospective big men:

Pettit- 6-8, 6-9

Euton- 6-7 range

Selby 6-4 or 6-5 range

Barnhill- 6-6

Barker 6-3

Sparks 6-5

All bring different qualities to the floor. Pettit is tall and is good for about 16 and 8 a night, but i think he isn't as fundamentally sound as the rest. Euton is obviously highly touted, and has been impressive since adding post play to his game. Selby is a near mismatch for all post men because of his strength and he is surprisingly athletic for his size. Barnhill is young and tenative at times, but by his senior year he will absolutely own the block. Barker is the best post defender of the group, he has the lead the region in blocks, and if he catches the ball near the basket its gonna be two points and the foul. I have only seen Sparks play once this season and i think he was sick, but he is very athletic and is a different type of matchup in the post. Overall, size doesn't matter because this is high school basketball, big men in the sixteenth are discribed as who is on the block. As Cooter said, East is the best team at guarding the post in the region, I would say most big men have a subpar night against them for the most part. That said that has more to do with strategy than personel, imo. They are able to front with good backside help, while still closing out on the shooters.

The only "big guy" in the 16th playing center would be Blake Pettit. Compared to other regions, the 16th is very small. I wouldnt consider someone 6'4 playing center to be a "big guy", so Pettit, being 6'9, would have to be considered the best "big guy". There might be better centers within the 16th, but nobody with "big guy" size. Going away from center, Dakotah Euton has to be the best within the 16th and in years to come, might be one of the best in the state.

My gosh, Selby is 300 lbs...How much bigger do you have to be to be considered a "Big Guy"!!!!:thumb:

By the way, he is also around 6-5, not really short:thumb:

There's a difference between a "big man" and a "tall man". He couldn't guard Selby, Pettit, or Barker. Good player, but not the best when you consider all aspects. IMO.

I'd reconsider the Selby thing, check the numbers in the 2 matchups.

Best big man in the Region, not playing Center, is Dakota Euton.

Best big man, playing Center, is Selby.

I would have to go with Barnhill and Sparks as the next two, Pettit is good but needs some experience.

Barnhill and Pettit will be tough in the years to come.

I agree Selby is the best big man in the post, but Euton is the best big man overall.

To be consider a true "big guy" and have a post presence when it comes to playing outside the 16th region and competeing with the best, I think you would need to 6'6 or taller with strength. Just having heighth will not make you a good "big guy". Some of the men people are describing would probably need to be guards or forwards for other teams because they simply dont have the size to match up with other centers. Granted, all these men are good ball players but cant match up heighth wise with other centers outside the region.

I'd reconsider the Selby thing, check the numbers in the 2 matchups.

That is a true statement, but due to what everyone said, hard for a Center to score when you dont get the ball past half-court:thumb:

Also, cant compare Selby playing defense on Euton either, because he stands outside and shoots threes, so most Centers do not guard Euton.

Just a couple of reasons why the numbers are not a good comparison.

To be consider a true "big guy" and have a post presence when it comes to playing outside the 16th region and competeing with the best, I think you would need to 6'6 or taller with strength. Just having heighth will not make you a good "big guy". Some of the men people are describing would probably need to be guards or forwards for other teams because they simply dont have the size to match up with other centers. Granted, all these men are good ball players but cant match up heighth wise with other centers outside the region.

:confused:

My vote would have to be for Pettit. For who ever was asking about offers I know he has offers From West Virginia, Morehead, Pikeville, Northern KY, Milligan, Eastern and Western, Transy, Shawnee State and Shawnee Community, Wittennburg, Georgetown, Ohio Dominican, Bridge Water, Centre, Cumberland, and Taylor. He also got invited to an Gatorade/Adidas All-star game.

Are the big offers (WVU, Morehead, WKU, EKU) walk-on or full ride? I could see him developing into a nice college player, but I don't think he has the athleticism at 6-8 to play in the OVC or Sunbelt, let alone the Big East. Remember he is a giant in Eastern KY, but would be undersized or average sized in college especially in the Big East. That said if whereever he plays college basketball i wish him the best of luck, he seems like a pretty good kid.