Underrated Programs in the State of Kentucky

born2reign

I don't want to freeze out the Trinity, St. X and Highlands fans because I am a huge fan of all of those programs and everyone that follows high school football nationally recognizes these programs as the best in the state, no questions asked.

I do want to know, however, what are some of the programs that don't get the attention, but are solid programs throughout the state? I tend to think of the little guys when I think of underrated. Russell probably is the most underrated, in my opinion. All the Red Devils do is win. They are very solid and are probably the best program in the eastern part of the state.

Who else is out there? Who you got?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on who is doing the ranking, and what you are ranking teams on. Obviously, the teams that win many State Championships are great programs. Such as: Trinity, St. Xavier, Beechwood, Highlands, and the such. However, there are many teams that I believe have great programs, but do not win many State Championships, either do to having a perennial power house on their side of the state, or just has not had the ball to bounce their way in the playoffs.

Of course, I think Raceland has a great program. Raceland has not won a State Championship, and they have never won a Regional Championship, but they have won 17 District Championships and are competing for the District Championship every year. For many years, when Raceland would have to play the Northern-Kentucky Champion, Raceland would lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, to the eventual State Champion, and many times that was the closest anyone came to the Northern-Kentucky team until the State Championship game. I am sure there are many other teams around the state that have the same kind of stories. Two years ago, Raceland lost to NCC in the third round of the playoffs, NCC won the State Championship. This year Raceland lost to LCA in the District Championship, and that was the only game that LCA had in the playoffs with a margin of victory under 21, until the Championship game.

With all that explanation, there are several teams that I think have a great program, and these are the teams that I think of when I think of Kentucky High School Football:

1A

Mayfield, Beechwood, Frankfort, LCA, Raceland, Hazard, Pikeville.

2A

Bardstown, Danville, NCC, Prestonsburg.

3A

Paducah Tilghman, Breathit Co, Mason Co, Russell.

4A

Boyle Co, Lexington Catholic, Lawrence Co.

5A

Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Highlands, Ashland, Bryan Station, Johnson Central.

6A

St. Xavier, Male, Ballard, Trinity, Simon Kenton, Henry Clay.

All of these are not perennial powers, but they are the programs that I think have a quality program. I do not know a lot about every school and I am sure there are people who will disagree with me, but this is my list.

It depends on who is doing the ranking, and what you are ranking teams on. Obviously, the teams that win many State Championships are great programs. Such as: Trinity, St. Xavier, Beechwood, Highlands, and the such. However, there are many teams that I believe have great programs, but do not win many State Championships, either do to having a perennial power house on their side of the state, or just has not had the ball to bounce their way in the playoffs.

Of course, I think Raceland has a great program. Raceland has not won a State Championship, and they have never won a Regional Championship, but they have won 17 District Championships and are competing for the District Championship every year. For many years, when Raceland would have to play the Northern-Kentucky Champion, Raceland would lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, to the eventual State Champion, and many times that was the closest anyone came to the Northern-Kentucky team until the State Championship game. I am sure there are many other teams around the state that have the same kind of stories. Two years ago, Raceland lost to NCC in the third round of the playoffs, NCC won the State Championship. This year Raceland lost to LCA in the District Championship, and that was the only game that LCA had in the playoffs with a margin of victory under 21, until the Championship game.

With all that explanation, there are several teams that I think have a great program, and these are the teams that I think of when I think of Kentucky High School Football:

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Highlands, Ashland, Bryan Station, Johnson Central.

6A

All of these are not perennial powers, but they are the programs that I think have a quality program. I do not know a lot about every school and I am sure there are people who will disagree with me, but this is my list.

Just be thankful you dont have to play in the same conference as them, like my team Ludlow does. I mean we use to also have to deal with NCC and Holy Cross in the conference as well before we moved to 6 classes. There were some VERY GOOD teams from the smaller schools in Ludlow, Belleve, and Dayton that not many people across the state didn't get to hear about, because of these schools being in the same district as Beechwood and NCC and would get knocked out early because of it. I mean a couple of times a few of those teams probably were good enough to make a serious run to the state championship if it wasn't for having to be in the same conference as those teams...

Just be thankful you dont have to play in the same conference as them, like my team Ludlow does. I mean we use to also have to deal with NCC and Holy Cross in the conference as well before we moved to 6 classes. There were some VERY GOOD teams from the smaller schools in Ludlow, Belleve, and Dayton that not many people across the state didn't get to hear about, because of these schools being in the same district as Beechwood and NCC and would get knocked out early because of it. I mean a couple of times a few of those teams probably were good enough to make a serious run to the state championship if it wasn't for having to be in the same conference as those teams...

Your exactly right. Many people gage a "great program" by the number of State Championships that they win, and if you win State Championships that is great and proves that your team is great, but as you and I have pointed out, sometimes a great team is beaten by another great team. There are many great programs around the state that do not win State Championships year after year, but they are still quality programs. As you stated Ludlow, Belleve, and Dayton have very good programs, but often could not get out of their district because they were in the district with, at least, the eventual state finalist. And I think you could hear several stories similar to this around the state.

Mason Co has had some quality teams over the last three years, but they were in the district with Russell, who won a State Championship, then has State runner-up performance. Just bad luck for some really good Mason Co teams.

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

6A

SK? Was that based on the Pioneers beating Russell this year? Interesting. I agree with most of your list, but would have gone with a Ryle or Boone over SK. And added Bell to the 4A listing.

Your exactly right. Many people gage a "great program" by the number of State Championships that they win, and if you win State Championships that is great and proves that your team is great, but as you and I have pointed out, sometimes a great team is beaten by another great team. There are many great programs around the state that do not win State Championships year after year, but they are still quality programs. As you stated Ludlow, Belleve, and Dayton have very good programs, but often could not get out of their district because they were in the district with, at least, the eventual state finalist. And I think you could hear several stories similar to this around the state.

Mason Co has had some quality teams over the last three years, but they were in the district with Russell, who won a State Championship, then has State runner-up performance. Just bad luck for some really good Mason Co teams.

Good point Ram, you don't have to use state championships as the only measure of a good team. Championships are great and are the ultimate accolade, but they don't always tell the whole tale and there are many many good teams who didn't win it all.

One thing, though, Mason Co was in a different class than Russell during both those years ('04 and '05). The Royals were 3A and the Devils were 2A.

SK? Was that based on the Pioneers beating Russell this year? Interesting. I agree with most of your list, but would have gone with a Ryle or Boone over SK.

It was more on history. I don't live in Northern Kentucky, that is just a program that I have heard a lot about. A have heard a lot about Ryle and Boone, but just of late. They may be great programs, I just don't hear as much about them. This list is just what come to my little mind when thinking of high school football. Lawrence Co is having trouble, but I still remember the LC of old, and I know they will get it together again. Just my opinion, I am sure that people from across the state will have different teams in mind.

One thing, though, Mason Co was in a different class than Russell during both those years ('04 and '05). The Royals were 3A and the Devils were 2A.

You are absolutely correct, my mistake. A forgot that they were in 3A at the time. Mason still has had some good teams, as of late, though.

BTW, I noticed Belfry wasn't on your list and it made me wonder about the view of the Pirate program from a North-Eastern Kentuckian's perspective. Where do you rate them along with the old 2A and new 3A programs you listed?

Belfry should have been on my list. I knew that I would forget someone. I wholeheartedly did mean to put them on my list. Belfry does have a great program and is one of the first "Far East Teams" that I think of. I would put them in a category with Russell, Danville, and NCC, as far as tradition and quality of program.

LOL, I went back and edited that part of my question out because I thought it sounded self serving to ask about Belfry when you explained well that you were just listing your "first thought" teams. I didn't realize you had already quoted me. :D

Mason Co has had some great teams, they were even one of the favorites in 3A when they first moved up from 2A out of Russells district. Great, great program under a head coach that is doing things the right way.

To me, in the west, Trigg Co is an underrated program. They've had some outstanding teams the past 5-6 years, but, had to get thru Owens Cath when they had some really good teams and Ft Campbell, when they had some really good teams. Caldwell Co had a team or 2 in there as well that was solid.

Mayfield is another program that has 7 championships, but, had the unfortunate task of having to face off with Danville in the late 80s and early 90s, when they had excellent teams. The Cardinals could easily have 10-11 rings otherwise.

Marshall Co is another program from the west that has really taken great strides in the past 5 or so years. They have had some very quality teams but have had the dubious task of having to compete with a St X or Male in the 3rd round so alot of folks don't know alot about them, but, I'd consider them underrated.

LOL, I went back and edited that part of my question out because I thought it sounded self serving to ask about Belfry when you explained well that you were just listing your "first thought" teams. I didn't realize you had already quoted me. :D

I don't think it is self serving, I like to know what people think around the state of my local teams. I think there have been some really good teams and programs from North-Eastern Kentucky, but sometimes when I say that on BGP, people from around the state think that I am smoking something, because they do not have much contact with those teams.

If you are from the East, unless you go deep in the playoffs, then most people from the West have not heard that much about you, and vise versa. I am sure that there are some other great teams from the West, but I just do not see them or hear much about them.

To me, in the west, Trigg Co is an underrated program. They've had some outstanding teams the past 5-6 years, but, had to get thru Owens Cath when they had some really good teams and Ft Campbell, when they had some really good teams. Caldwell Co had a team or 2 in there as well that was solid.

Mayfield is another program that has 7 championships, but, had the unfortunate task of having to face off with Danville in the late 80s and early 90s, when they had excellent teams. The Cardinals could easily have 10-11 rings otherwise.

Marshall Co is another program from the west that has really taken great strides in the past 5 or so years. They have had some very quality teams but have had the dubious task of having to compete with a St X or Male in the 3rd round so alot of folks don't know alot about them, but, I'd consider them underrated.

There are a lot of good western Kentucky programs. The get less publicity, but teams like Mayfield, Bowling Green, Tilghman are well respected. Good, solid footbal being played out west.

Breathitt has a underrated program. With three state titles under their belt, they still dont get what respect they deserve. Breathitt has had winning year after winning year.

I personally think you are wrong. Any team that plays Breathitt knows what they can do to you. I saw them beat aguable the best team Russell (2002)fielded in the past ten years in O/T. Then go on to beat Corbin 52-0. I think when people talk about great teams Breathitt is in the conversation.