Top 20 States-HS Football

born2reign

No disrespect intended and it is strictly editorial, but you have the state of Kentucky rated at least 20 spots too high in your ratings.

Overall, this state has poor high school football.

Having coached in NC, SC, Tn., and Ky at both the HS and College level I would agree. You can say what you want about Independence and Byrnes, but overall speed is greater in NC and SC than what I have seen in Ky. And yes Tn. (even though KY has won a couple of all star games recently) is better, deeper, and faster on an overall basis.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having coached in NC, SC, Tn., and Ky at both the HS and College level I would agree. You can say what you want about Independence and Byrnes, but overall speed is greater in NC and SC than what I have seen in Ky. And yes Tn. (even though KY has won a couple of all star games recently) is better, deeper, and faster on an overall basis.

I spoke with a coach buddy of mine this morning that coached in NC, TN and KY and he echoed this sentiment, but he said interior play is better in KY (his exact words were much better, but I think he is over-stating it).

I don't know what area of the state everyone is from, but some of the statements just give me pause.

I do not claim to be an expert on football in other states, but I have seen my share of football from Ohio, and Virginia. I have seen and played in several games with Raceland playing teams from Ohio and Virginia. I played in a game versus a Virginia team that only lost one game all season, and that was to Raceland. I have seen several games where Raceland has beaten Ohio teams. I have also seen several other teams from North-Eastern Kentucky play and beat Ohio teams.

As for the Criteria:

Talent - I think Kentucky has a great deal of talent. Maybe not as much as the top states, but I have seen many talented players. Do they all get D1 scholarships? No. And the major reason for that is size. Many of the very talented players do not have the size to play D1.

Atmosphere - I think all in all, most of the venues in Kentucky that I have been to have a great football atmosphere. Not necessarily the best facilities, but a great atmosphere.

Coaching - I have seen and know many great football coaches in the state of Kentucky. Are all the coaches in Kentucky better then all the coaches in Florida? No, but I think most of the coaches in Kentucky could hold their own.

Competitive Balance - I would say that Kentucky could improve here. There are quite a few quality programs in Kentucky in their respective classes, but a cross the board this could improve.

Reputation - this could improve as well, and has somewhat. But, more coaches are coming to recruit in Kentucky then there used to be.

Perhaps my glasses are rose colored, but I do not see the despair in Kentucky football that some of you see. I see large crowds at football games, and small crowds at basketball games. I see schools who are putting a lot of resources at the hands of the coaches to make their programs competitive. I see many schools improving their facilities. I see football becoming bigger in football in Kentucky.

I'm with you Ram.

Ky has underrated atmosphere, talent and coaching. Incidently, all states have wide ranges in the talent top to bottom. Ky's is more obvious only because there are fewer schools.

I love this debate! There are a lot of great opinions and expertise on this site!:ylsuper:

I haven't seen any FB in other states, unless you count the fact that Fort Campbell's field is geographically in Tennessee, yet still considered Kentucky for bureaucratic reasons. So I can't really draw comparisons in that regard, except for observation at a distance.

What I have seen in Kentucky is a wide variety of environments at varying school sizes and demographics, with alternately outstanding facilities and run-down ones. Irrespective of the aforementioned characteristics, I've seen fantastic crowds and weak turnout. It ain't all great, but it ain't all bad either. On the whole, football seems to be taken a lot more seriously in the last 5-10 years at many places where hoops has always ruled the roost, often to football's detriment.

There's a lot to be proud of in football's growth in Kentucky, but there's still a lot to do. A good indicator will be when 15K-20K show up for each session of the football finals and continued growth seems a safe bet, because fans of football should show up and watch the best football in their state, rather than whining about their team losing. You think it's fans of the teams on the floor filling up Rupp Arena for that Wednesday afternoon session?

I haven't seen any FB in other states, unless you count the fact that Fort Campbell's field is geographically in Tennessee, yet still considered Kentucky for bureaucratic reasons. So I can't really draw comparisons in that regard, except for observation at a distance.

What I have seen in Kentucky is a wide variety of environments at varying school sizes and demographics, with alternately outstanding facilities and run-down ones. Irrespective of the aforementioned characteristics, I've seen fantastic crowds and weak turnout. It ain't all great, but it ain't all bad either. On the whole, football seems to be taken a lot more seriously in the last 5-10 years at many places where hoops has always ruled the roost, often to football's detriment.

There's a lot to be proud of in football's growth in Kentucky, but there's still a lot to do. A good indicator will be when 15K-20K show up for each session of the football finals and continued growth seems a safe bet, because fans of football should show up and watch the best football in their state, rather than whining about their team losing. You think it's fans of the teams on the floor filling up Rupp Arena for that Wednesday afternoon session?

Very well said, "Jim Shue".

Fwiw, born and raise right here and I played four years of hs football in Ky (along with college)... So I'm very proud of our football tradition, and it appears to be moving in a positive direction in many aspects. With that said, I have a geniune question: It has been a few years, but I would think they have grown at a relative pace...so did we really make up that much ground?

I have only seen one game in Texas and one in Louisiana so I'm not pretending to know what I'm talking about...but, we weren't even close to the games I saw in terms of overall talent, atmosphere, etc. These where like college games. I'm talking 10K people for a regular season ho hum game...and for every 1 kid we have at 6'3" 220 running a 4.7; there were 6. Kids played offensive OR defense..and there where lots of them..My uncle told me that the game in Texas was pretty much a normal high school game.

Honestly, we have a handful of programs that could compete well in the big football states like Tex, Flor, Louisiana, etc..right? From what I saw and hear from relatives in both states, the typical senior hs in their area is 11th and 12th grade only with 2k to 3k students.

I think it's a curious question, and I don't really know the answer.

Just surprised by some of the answers and ranks mentioned above?

Trotwood Madison was a team of individuals who ran up against a "TEAM" in Fort Thomas Highlands.

Kentucky has always had some good individual players, but overall level of competition is poor.

NOTE: Just as an example, put Maryland ahead of Kentucky. DeMatha High School places more D-I players each year, than the entire state of Kentucky does. Other states ahead of Kentucky, in my opinion.........Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

I see MD high school football every Friday and KY hands down is heads and shoulders above MD, period.

Fwiw, born and raise right here and I played four years of hs football in Ky (along with college)... So I'm very proud of our football tradition, and it appears to be moving in a positive direction in many aspects. With that said, I have a geniune question: It has been a few years, but I would think they have grown at a relative pace...so did we really make up that much ground?

I have only seen one game in Texas and one in Louisiana so I'm not pretending to know what I'm talking about...but, we weren't even close to the games I saw in terms of overall talent, atmosphere, etc. These where like college games. I'm talking 10K people for a regular season ho hum game...and for every 1 kid we have at 6'3" 220 running a 4.7; there were 6. Kids played offensive OR defense..and there where lots of them..My uncle told me that the game in Texas was pretty much a normal high school game.

Honestly, we have a handful of programs that could compete well in the big football states like Tex, Flor, Louisiana, etc..right? From what I saw and hear from relatives in both states, the typical senior hs in their area is 11th and 12th grade only with 2k to 3k students.

I think it's a curious question, and I don't really know the answer.

Just surprised by some of the answers and ranks mentioned above?

I don't think anyone would argue that Kentucky is up there with Texas. I see Texas football on a regular occassion because I live here and coach here. Texas is number one.

I just think Kentucky is getting short-changed. The first 9 states on my list, I believe, are head and shoulders above everyone in the nation. I think Kentucky definitely belongs in the second tier of schools.

I don't know what area of the state everyone is from, but some of the statements just give me pause.

I do not claim to be an expert on football in other states, but I have seen my share of football from Ohio, and Virginia. I have seen and played in several games with Raceland playing teams from Ohio and Virginia. I played in a game versus a Virginia team that only lost one game all season, and that was to Raceland. I have seen several games where Raceland has beaten Ohio teams. I have also seen several other teams from North-Eastern Kentucky play and beat Ohio teams.

Maybe you didn't see the best teams in VA play? :thumb:

Maybe you didn't see the best teams in VA play? :thumb:

Like I said I am no expert, but they look pretty good to me. I was talking about Liberty Christian Academy, Another undefeated season with a state championship. Does Virginia have a team that is better then undefeated and state champion?

Liberty Christian Academy

Date....................Opponent.......................Time..................Result

Aug. 31...........vs. Dan River H.S..................7:30.................W 41-7

Sep. 7.............vs. Christchurch School.........7:30..................W 42-0

Sep. 14...........at St. Anne's Belfield.............7:00..................W 24-14

Sep. 21...........vs. Covenant School **.........7:30..................W 52-12

Sep. 28...........vs. Kiski Prep........................7:30..................W 56-12

Oct. 6.......at Atlantic Shores Christian School.2:00..................W 43-7

Oct. 12.....vs. Fork Union M.A. (Homecoming)..7:30..................W 32-20

Oct. 19.....at Hargrave Military Academy **....7:00..................W 44-0

Oct. 26...........vs. Flint Hill...........................7:30.................W 14-12

Nov. 3.......at Virginia Episcopal School **.......2:00.................W 37 -12

Nov. 9/10 VISFA State Semifinals vs. #4 St. Stephens TBA........W 45-7

Nov. 16/17 VISFA State Finals vs. #2 Bishop Ireton TBA............W 34-14

Like I said I am no expert, but they look pretty good to me. I was talking about Liberty Christian Academy, Another undefeated season with a state championship. Does Virginia have a team that is better then undefeated and state champion?

Liberty Christian Academy

Date....................Opponent.......................Time..................Result

Aug. 31...........vs. Dan River H.S..................7:30.................W 41-7

Sep. 7.............vs. Christchurch School.........7:30..................W 42-0

Sep. 14...........at St. Anne's Belfield.............7:00..................W 24-14

Sep. 21...........vs. Covenant School **.........7:30..................W 52-12

Sep. 28...........vs. Kiski Prep........................7:30..................W 56-12

Oct. 6.......at Atlantic Shores Christian School.2:00..................W 43-7

Oct. 12.....vs. Fork Union M.A. (Homecoming)..7:30..................W 32-20

Oct. 19.....at Hargrave Military Academy **....7:00..................W 44-0

Oct. 26...........vs. Flint Hill...........................7:30.................W 14-12

Nov. 3.......at Virginia Episcopal School **.......2:00.................W 37 -12

Nov. 9/10 VISFA State Semifinals vs. #4 St. Stephens TBA........W 45-7

Nov. 16/17 VISFA State Finals vs. #2 Bishop Ireton TBA............W 34-14

They play in the Privates Class. There are some very good and very bad teams in that Division. As for Liberty I didn't see where they played Raceland this year. Is it a past year you saw them?

Of the power teams I saw this year in Virginia Amherst was a very good football team with a lot of talent. They went undefeated and Won AA Group 2 State Title 56-10 over Sherando. Salem (usual power in the area and the state was only 13-1 and lost a close one to Amherst in the semi-finals but they weren't too bad considering they had less than their usual talent.

Gretna won A Division 2 with a very fast team. Like I said before, I'm a KY guy and have seen some great Danville and Boyle teams even after I moved to Virginia. Those kinds of teams; along with a Ft Thomas, ST X and Trinity types can compete with most any team from any state. My point was that Virginia has more talent by virtue of population and you can't judge a state by seeing one team vs. another KY team that happens to be on their schedule. The privates here have talent but most of the league is top heavy and not as good as the publics I mentioned in the other post.

BTW, Gretna and Amherst were both undefeated as was Westbridge.

They play in the Privates Class. There are some very good and very bad teams in that Division. As for Liberty I didn't see where they played Raceland this year. Is it a past year you saw them?

Raceland played Liberty in 1990, I looked but could not find past schedules for the teams in Virginia. We played them at Liberty University.

I understand that you can not compare the states by one game, I was just providing some information. I honestly think that Virginia football is probably better then Kentucky as a whole, I just don't think that Kentucky football is that bad.

I think from a regular season perspective KY High School football has trumped basketball in some places where it would have been previously unthinkable at some point...however, football has nothing that creates anything close to the overall atmosphere that you get at a regional basketball tournament.

As for the state finals, I really think KY High School football is missing the boat by not moving the finals to Commonwealth Stadium on an alternating basis. Or, maybe they could have 3 classes in Louisville and 3 in Lexington on an alternating basis...something like that. They really need to change it up instead of having it in Louisville every year. JMO...there have been times when I know that I personally would have made the trip to Lexington to watch some of the state final games, but not Louisville.

Raceland played Liberty in 1990, I looked but could not find past schedules for the teams in Virginia. We played them at Liberty University.

I understand that you can not compare the states by one game, I was just providing some information. I honestly think that Virginia football is probably better then Kentucky as a whole, I just don't think that Kentucky football is that bad.

I keep coming back to this as well. I always go by the old eye test. There have been some top notch teams around the country that I have seen and I honestly believe that Kentucky teams can hang with them. Our top notch programs (I believe our flagship big programs are Trinity, X and Highlands) can beat a lot of highly ranked teams that I have seen.

Again, I know there are some superior states, especially in my top 10, but I truely believe Kentucky football is much better than it is given credit for being. We have some of the most underrated high school coaching in the country (Beatty,Glaser, Mueller, Rash, Schneider, Letton, Rains, Simpson...). I also know that more college coaches are recognizing this talent and more kids in the state are going to legit college programs and going D1.

Again, I know there are some superior states, especially in my top 10, but I truely believe Kentucky football is much better than it is given credit for being. We have some of the most underrated high school coaching in the country (Beatty,Glaser, Mueller, Rash, Schneider, Letton, Rains, Simpson...). I also know that more college coaches are recognizing this talent and more kids in the state are going to legit college programs and going D1.

I agree, I think Kentucky has come a long way, and has gotten a lot better. It will just take time for most people to recognize it. And I know that you are right about the college recruiting. It used to be rare for players in North-Eastern Kentucky to get scholarships, of any kind. Now, I see many players getting football scholarships from North-Eastern Kentucky. I have seen several D1, and quite a few D2, D3, and NAIA.

It has become normal now to see several players from one team getting scholarships, where 5 years you only saw one player getting a scholarship.