Top 20 States-HS Football

born2reign

Saw this thread started on another website and thought it mught be cool to start here. IYO, what are the top 20 states in HS Football, taking into account:

Talent

Atmosphere

Coaching

Competitive Balance

Here's my list;

1. Texas

2. Florida

3. Ohio

4. California

5. Pennsylvania

6. Georgia

7. Alabama

8. New Jersey

9. Illinois

10. Mississippi

11. Virginia

12. Kentucky

13. Indiana

14. Louisianna

15. Michigan

16. Tennessee

17. Arizona

18. Washington (State)

19. North Carolina

20. South Carolina

Let's see others!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this thread started on another website and thought it mught be cool to start here. IYO, what are the top 20 states in HS Football, taking into account:

Talent

Atmosphere

Coaching

Competitive Balance

Here's my list;

1. Texas

2. Florida

3. Ohio

4. California

5. Pennsylvania

6. Georgia

7. Alabama

8. New Jersey

9. Illinois

10. Mississippi

11. Virginia

12. Kentucky

13. Indiana

14. Louisianna

15. Michigan

16. Tennessee

17. Arizona

18. Washington (State)

19. North Carolina

20. South Carolina

Let's see others!

For starters, Tennessee football is considerably stronger overall than Ky, Ill football is weak and shouldn't sniff the Top 20. NCarolina and SCarolina are also very strong at the HS level and have many more athletes than Ky and more quality teams. I agree with Florida, Texas, Ohio being the Top 3...

Agree to disagree on Kentucky's strength...having had the great fortune to travel and see football in some of these other states, I think KY in underrated.

I'll take Wheaton North and some of the Chicago schools against any programs in the country. Ill is another underrated state.

S.Car and N. Car are two of the more overrated states-everytime Byrnes (SC) plays an out of state school, they get handled. That is the flagship program in the state. I was unimpressed with Independence as well when I saw them this year, another flagship. X, T and Highlands handle those schools, IMO.

Kentucky doesn't have as many kids or schools, but the ones we have are pretty quality. Beechwood, NCC, Belfry and Danville can handle themselves against any small program in the country year in and year out.

Agree to disagree on Kentucky's strength...having had the great fortune to travel and see football in some of these other states, I think KY in underrated.

I'll take Wheaton North and some of the Chicago schools against any programs in the country. Ill is another underrated state.

S.Car and N. Car are two of the more overrated states-everytime Byrnes (SC) plays an out of state school, they get handled. That is the flagship program in the state. I was unimpressed with Independence as well when I saw them this year, another flagship. X, T and Highlands handle those schools, IMO.

Kentucky doesn't have as many kids or schools, but the ones we have are pretty quality. Beechwood, NCC, Belfry and Danville can handle themselves against any small program in the country year in and year out.

I agree, Kentucky football has come a long way, and would be very competitive with many other states.

Of course, your top three are very solid states for football.

As for atmosphere and fan bases, I see a lot more people at Kentucky high school football games then I do at Kentucky high school basketball games, so much for that "basketball state" stuff.

Louisiana is top 10 or very near the top 10.

Katrina has really hurt the atmosphere and talent level over the last couple of years, papi. It is unfortunate. JC and Evangel are always tough, but even they are down. JC got handled in Texas this year. West Monroe was supposed to be the next big thing (ESPN even did a TV show based on the team!) and they got handled in the first round of the state playoffs. It has lead to an upswing in Arkansas football (another underrated state) with kids moving north from Louisianna.

Louisiana is top 10 or very near the top 10.

Took the words out of my mouth.. Louisiana and Alabama both have very good brands of football. John Curtis Christian and Evangel Christian alone are two of the nations best programs, let alone when you throw in a team like West Monroe (as featured on ESPN).

I also agree with the poster who said North Carolina, on the whole, is overrated. I am pretty familiar with NC football and it is nowhere near as good as some think. Independence is no better than X, T, Highlands, and in some years Male. Independence has proven to be on another plane compared to the rest of the state.

SC football produces some great, great athletes and college players. But, I also feel it is a bit overrated in the scheme of things.

Another state that I feel is vastly top heavy is Virginia. Virginia's bigger school's are very good, but their smaller division teams couldn't hold a candle to Kentucky. Take for instance this year, Clintwood made the state championship game. Clintwood would probably not even be a Top 10 1A team in KY.

Also, as bad as I hate to admit it, Tennessee football is better than KY.

Maybe it is just foolish pride, but I really believe, having seen both, that Kentucky can hang talent-wise from top to bottom. The small programs in Kentucky can go blow for blow with Tenn. Tenn is top heavy, but any given year Highlands, T and X can compete.

Coaching and atmosphere are pretty even as well.

What about some other lists? I am curious where some states shake out in other people's minds (namely California).

Talent

Atmosphere

Coaching

Competitive Balance

Here's my list;

1. Texas

2. Florida

3. Ohio

4. California

5. Pennsylvania

6. Georgia

7. Alabama

8. New Jersey

9. Illinois

10. Mississippi

11. Virginia

12. Kentucky

13. Indiana

14. Louisianna

15. Michigan

16. Tennessee

17. Arizona

18. Washington (State)

19. North Carolina

20. South Carolina

Let's see others!

No disrespect intended and it is strictly editorial, but you have the state of Kentucky rated at least 20 spots too high in your ratings.

Overall, this state has poor high school football.

Trotwood Madison was a team of individuals who ran up against a "TEAM" in Fort Thomas Highlands.

Kentucky has always had some good individual players, but overall level of competition is poor.

NOTE: Just as an example, put Maryland ahead of Kentucky. DeMatha High School places more D-I players each year, than the entire state of Kentucky does. Other states ahead of Kentucky, in my opinion.........Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Trotwood Madison was a team of individuals who ran up against a "TEAM" in Fort Thomas Highlands.

Kentucky has always had some good individual players, but overall level of competition is poor.

NOTE: Just as an example, put Maryland ahead of Kentucky. DeMatha High School places more D-I players each year, than the entire state of Kentucky does. Other states ahead of Kentucky, in my opinion.........Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Okay, now we are overstating it a bit. I played in New York...we are not even close because basketball gets the best athletes in the state. I have seen football in Ok., Mz, Ks, Ia, Co, Ut and they are not in there (although each have their great programs like Jenks, Colombine, Union, etc.). I have not seen Oregon but I have had west coast coaching buddies that have agreed that Kentucky could come out west and do quite well.

Incidently, DeMatha plays in DC, not Maryland...neither of which can compete top to bottom with Ky (T, X and Highlands all beat DeMatha this year...I've seen them in person).

Just my opinion. :thumb:

Hey, give me your list. I want to see where other states shake out!

I think I'd put Florida over Texas. Sure, Friday Night Lights doesn't overstate football's importance in Texas, but it's my understanding that Florida produces the most as far as football goes. I could very easily be wrong on this.

I think, if you take into account the five criteria listed in the begining of the post, Texas easily trumps everyone (especially on the atmosphere and coaching).