Pulaski County 12 McCreary Co. 0 (JV)

Maroon Fan

The Maroons kept their undefeated streak alive in JV ball last night(8-0), beating the Raiders 12-0 in the first round of the Conference playoffs. PC had defeated McCreary 42-8 earlier this season. It was strange that MCHS brought several "new faces" to PC field for the rematch, as they dressed over 35 players for this game. Either this school has had an AMAZING influx of new players, or maybe, several Varsity kids just happened to be passing by PC Field at game time & just happened to have all their gear w/ them. Oh well, Congrats to the Maroons!! Good luck next Monday against Lincoln for the Conference Championship!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Maroons kept their undefeated streak alive in JV ball last night(8-0), beating the Raiders 12-0 in the first round of the Conference playoffs. PC had defeated McCreary 42-8 earlier this season. It was strange that MCHS brought several "new faces" to PC field for the rematch, as they dressed over 35 players for this game. Either this school has had an AMAZING influx of new players, or maybe, several Varsity kids just happened to be passing by PC Field at game time & just happened to have all their gear w/ them. Oh well, Congrats to the Maroons!! Good luck next Monday against Lincoln for the Conference Championship!

For the correct facts as usual you can't rely on who is just guessing about the facts! The Raiders have 33 JV players 3 were out of action and 1 SOPHMORE who playes TE for the varsity (#21) dressed for this game to get some work running the ball because he may be needed to do so in the Raiders last 2 games (I am pretty sure that is what the JV is for). He played 1/4th of the time on "D" just to give other players a breather. All the other kids were 100% present in the 1st game of the season. Now for that, the score at the end of the 3rd quater was something like 26-8 and then the Raiders took out every starter and put in an entire new group of kids like they did in every JV game this season so that everyone who practiced the week before got playing time (again that is what JV is for, it is not about going undefeated through a JV schedule.....IMO who cares). My next question is how many of the young Maroons haven't gotten any or very little playing time for the JV this season and that is the most important detail about JV football. I know in the 1st McCreary game after the Raiders put in all their young inexperienced players the Maroons did very little if any substituting and was running reverses and such with under a minute left in the game. I am just trying to figure out what is important here. Now, I will say this; since it is the playoffs the Raiders were definately playing for the win but still managed to play every kid they had somewhere during the game. Their safety was a kid that got overlooked the game before against Oneida TN and to make up for it he got to play the entire game at safety (he is a

4th string safety). Yes, Mccreary played one new face and it was to benifit the varsity program and the kid is just a sophmore. If the Raiders were trying to stack their JV team to win the game they would have played sophmore Aaron Watts and won the thing, but that would not have benifited the varsity program on bit so guess what? he didn't play even though he begged to play. I wish people would just have enough class to say good job Raiders you played a great game and your program is getting better. Now, No one has mentioned the refs and how many penalties McCraery had compared to those of Pulaski and i won't share those numbers either because IMO that is just the way football goes and you learn to play through the game no matter what! Good programs win despite those games where everything seem to go the other way. I hope I cleared up what has started out to be some wrong information from what is probably a devoted fan who just didn't have the facts straight. So, in closing I would like to congradulate the raider JV team for a very hard fought and well played football game and also congradulate Pulaski on a good win to keep their unbeaten season alive and to wish them luck in the championship game. The maroon football program is a great one at every level and I have the greatest respect for coach Hines. I wish the Pulaski football program all the luck in the world.

Great post Bronco:thumb: You are a class act. I agree with everything you posted here. The McCreary coaches have done an amazing job of getting things headed in the right direction down there.

A few years ago Southwestern scrimmaged Wayne Co. and they dressed out 35 players. When we played them down there in a JV game they dressed out 33 players. We lost to Wayne that game by two touchdowns but I believe we got better. I would rather lose by two touchdowns and get better than to win by 50 points and not get challenged.

I talked to Wayne Countys coach after the game and basically he said that he played a lot of his varsity players because he got more out of playing our JV ,than having them practice against his second team. He used his JV schedule to improve his varsity. I dont have any problems at all with that.

Couldn't agree more Bronco JV is about getting experience and giving everyone a chance to play, good to see the coaches are doing that because you honestly never know when the injury bug might hit and that experience for the 4th 5th or even 6th string kid will be a huge benefit.

Of course I do have to say that if you wanted to bank the fact that you could play Watts in the game and win easily you have to admit that Pulaski could have played Muse in the game and I think he would have MORE than negated Watts. McCreary has improved a bunch over the last couple of years but let's not pretend that the presence of a good running back makes them contenders. I've seen Watts and Muse both play and while Watts is impressive on the hardwood and on the gridiron against lesser opponents he doesn't hold a candle to Muse--at least in football.

#21, for McMreary, played over 3/4 of the game on offense, carrying the ball over 15 times. Doesn't sound like he played only on defense. PC played all Fresman & Sophmore players who do not get playing time on varsity team(only 1 player on the JV gets any Varsity time & he's a Freshman). As a matter of fact 80% of this JV team is made up of Freshmen. The 2 TD's scored by PC were by Freshmen.

There were 5 Sophmore players who did not play in this game because they start on the Varsity team: Mikey Shpperd, R.C. White, Chris Muse, Tyler Stone, Brian Barnett.

As for the first game against McCreary, the entire 2nd half was played by the Freshman team, so who else was supposed to be put in? Maybe they should have brought the 8th graders? Just trying to clear up some facts on this end.

#21, for McMreary, played over 3/4 of the game on offense, carrying the ball over 15 times. Doesn't sound like he played only on defense. PC played all Fresman & Sophmore players who do not get playing time on varsity team(only 1 player on the JV gets any Varsity time & he's a Freshman). As a matter of fact 80% of this JV team is made up of Freshmen. The 2 TD's scored by PC were by Freshmen.

There were 5 Sophmore players who did not play in this game because they start on the Varsity team: Mikey Shpperd, R.C. White, Chris Muse, Tyler Stone, Brian Barnett.

As for the first game against McCreary, the entire 2nd half was played by the Freshman team, so who else was supposed to be put in? Maybe they should have brought the 8th graders? Just trying to clear up some facts on this end.

I think you are repeating what Bronco said #21 played mostly offense to work on running the ball and only spot played on defense.

I would have to agree with Bronco....IMO some of the PC players that are on Varsity don't get a lot of playing time, so why not let them play for the JV team... #24 last year scored 9 TD for the freshman and JV teams, and this year he has none, and hardly plays WR...IMO he could be getting a lot more experience if he played both..I have heard he is going to be the best WR they have next year, so its kind of a waste to keep him on the side lines all this year. I know he is a good CB also, but he don't get to play a lot there in Varsity games ethier.

Isn't the whole purpose of the JV team to develop players. To get young players experience and more game situation reps? In some cases kids that play a lot of varsity ball will play JV at a different position to just get practice at another position. I agree if an underclassman is a star on the varsity you would not want to risk injury to him on the JV team, but for the rest of the kids this is a chance to get in more work under game situations, which I think we all will agree can be very very helpful in the development of young players.

I don't put much stock in JV scores and records. I'm not saying I don't like for our teams to win but I feel the opportunity to learn and get experience is as important as the chance to win at the JV level.

I can agree with both, you need to play to win but at sometime you need to give the young guys a chance to play a little. If you are playing a kid Freshman JV and Varsity then you are putting a little to much stock in one player. Football is a team sport and you are always just one play away from losing a player to injury so you better have the other kids ready to play. Pulaski has good talent from senior to freshman for the first time that I can remember and McCreary is much improved over the last few years. Good luck to both !:walk:

Of course I do have to say that if you wanted to bank the fact that you could play Watts in the game and win easily you have to admit that Pulaski could have played Muse in the game and I think he would have MORE than negated Watts. McCreary has improved a bunch over the last couple of years but let's not pretend that the presence of a good running back makes them contenders. I've seen Watts and Muse both play and while Watts is impressive on the hardwood and on the gridiron against lesser opponents he doesn't hold a candle to Muse--at least in football.

My point about Watts was this, the Raiders were not trying to stack their JV team to win the game or they would have dressed watts. I was no way implying that Pulaski didn't have some great young players that play varsity that they could play on JV. I haven't seen muse play but I have heard he is awesome. As for saying one player is better than another, that is just a persons opinion. I grew up being a Dallas Cowboy fan (stop laughing) and have seen Emmitt Smith win the rushing title almost every year that he played. Did that make hime the best running back in the NFL? I have said 100 times that Barry Sanders was better. Barry didn't have the luxury of playing behind an all-american offensive line could you imagine what kind of yards he would have gotten if he played for Dallas. You said Watts was good against lesser opponents but he was on his way to 100 yards against Bell Co. last week (not sure exactly what his stats were) and is one of the top rushers in 4-A this year and Mccreary has a moderately tough schedule and plays in what is considered the toughest district in 4-A (just not getting the lesser opponents statement). Muse may be able to have a 200 yard game against Bell but what is the difference in the line play and with PC's passing game how many more possesion would PC get because of clock stoppages on incomplete passes ect.. There are a lot of variables in football that come into play when you start comparing player, even teams for that matter. As always these statements are just my opinion add 50 cents to it and you can buy a cup of coffee.

PC had defeated McCreary 42-8 earlier this season. It was strange that MCHS brought several "new faces" to PC field for the rematch, as they dressed over 35 players for this game. Either this school has had an AMAZING influx of new players, or maybe, several Varsity kids just happened to be passing by PC Field at game time & just happened to have all their gear w/ them.

So?

At PC , if you start on the varsity team you do not play JV or Freshman, period. The point I was trying to make is the first time these 2 played it was a "true" JV game. McCreary absolutely loaded up for this game. Why do you risk getting a varsity starter hurt in a JV game? And, if the kids who played in this game don't start varsity, where were they the first time around? Just makes it look fishy to show up w/ a competely different team for the playoffs.

#24 and #82 do not start, so why don't they allow them to play JV? #11 gets ALOT of playing time, but he plays JV...IMO it depends on the coach, and who he wants to play..The thing is why not play some of your younger Varsity players for the practice?? I don't see where MC was trying to deceive PC with other players. IMO more coaches should keep there nonstarters playing to get the experiance.....

#24 & #82 both start on varsity. R.C. is one starting corner, Shepperd on offense. As I said, if you start on the Varsity team you do not play JV or Freshman ball. #11(Freshman) does not start on varsity, though he does play alot of Varsity on defense. I don't think you risk getting a Varsity starter hurt in a JV game.