Can fans really motivate or help a team come game time?

Unequivocally, yes. That is primarily what gives you the home field advantage. I can speak as a former player, father, and fan. Young men, and women, love to hear the fans cheer for them and get behind them. All young players want to have acceptance from their coaches, parents, and fans; by cheering they feel as if they are getting this.

A high school football game is a big event for the players, coaches, parents, and fans. The parents and fans want to be a part of the team, and they can be by cheering and helping to motivate the team. The players want to have an interaction with the crowd, and they do, the crowd cheers for them, and you hear the oohs and ohhs for big plays, and the players love knowing that the crowd appreciates the play they just made.

I have read post on BGP, where people say things like: "If you have to hear the crowd cheering to play better, then you are not ready to play" "If you have to have bulletin board material to get motivated to play then you have bigger problems" But these are young men and they like have people to cheer for them and will play better because of it".

Not only do I think it motivates the team and indivsual players, I also think it deters the opposition, most teams do not like to play in front of a hostile crowd.

Every heard of the "12 Man"?

When i played i absolutely loved the fact that the fans got into the game and went crazy, one of the things i also liked was when the student section came up with theme nights and dressed up. It fired me up and i wanted to play good to keep the fans going at the rate they were going.

I really think fans can keep a team motivated! Even when things aren't going well, if the fans (Parents, Students, people who only come to be seen....) let the players know how much they are appreciated can make a huge difference.

I can tell you from first hand experience when you walk out on the field and see your side packed otu with fans their to support you it gives you chills.

I wasnt on this team bu in 03 when Belfry went to Middlesboro, you have to get dressed and then arrive on the buse, when the players arrived Belfry side was completely filled and theyw ere all on their feet cheering like crazy, I could only imagine how it made them feel, Middlesboro fans were intimidated by it also, they looked over all warmups.

It means a lot to know that your playing for more than just a team or your brothers, but your playing for a whole community.

Great fan turnout to support their student athletes is the best motivation! Sometimes I feel I can predict the outcome of a game by the fan turnout of the opposing team. Especially when we are competing against another school for the first time.

Nothing better than Friday night football - go support your local team! If your team is not playing, go to a neighboring game. :thumb:

Yes it can. NCF you have proof in the tape I sent you of the Lawrence County/Breathitt County game in 1998 when LC broke the streak. I have never seen a crowd that big and crazy at LC to that point. It was the best atmosphere I have been involved with at a High School football game.

Without a doubt fans can have huge impact on a game. The kids get into it and the teams feed off of it. This also works in revers - whenthe fans "sit on their hand" leave early and yell nothing but critisizm the players can certainly feel that as well.

Just something to think about. IMO there is NO high school that goes out there to lose and not to try. These kids deserve respect.