"We Don't Play As A Team"

gametime

Taken from Mo Egger's blog over at 1530.

From January 8, 2006

"We've got to play as a team," Thornton said. "We still have to learn that. We're not a complete team. ... We imploded."

From December 31, 2006

"We don't play as a team; Coach will tell you that," Steinbach said. "Teams that go to the Super Bowl, they play together as a team. We do it for a week and then don't do it the next week."

"To be honest with you, it's the same fight that a 2-14 team fights," Anderson said. "We have enough talent to win games. Marvin says it all the time. We as a team will never get over the hump with the selfishness."

From October 1, 2007

"I'm worried about the maturity of this team," Anderson said. "We can't play like kids when the other team has grown men."

"This is a game of greed. But you have to play it within the scope of what you are asked to do," Lewis said in his post-game news conference. "It's not all about you every play and we have to understand that."

"I think the main thing is not playing as a team right now and that's what he meant. It definitely is evident playing against a team that plays as one and doesn't play as individuals," Palmer said. "hey play as a unit and as a group. And that's where we need to get to. We're not there right now.

I think those looking at Chad and only Chad as the target for this are taking the easy way out. It's much deeper than that and seems to describe the roster top to bottom. Sure does sound a lot like the old days...

Taken from Mo Egger's blog over at 1530.

From January 8, 2006

"We've got to play as a team," Thornton said. "We still have to learn that. We're not a complete team. ... We imploded."

From December 31, 2006

"We don't play as a team; Coach will tell you that," Steinbach said. "Teams that go to the Super Bowl, they play together as a team. We do it for a week and then don't do it the next week."

"To be honest with you, it's the same fight that a 2-14 team fights," Anderson said. "We have enough talent to win games. Marvin says it all the time. We as a team will never get over the hump with the selfishness."

From October 1, 2007

"I'm worried about the maturity of this team," Anderson said. "We can't play like kids when the other team has grown men."

"This is a game of greed. But you have to play it within the scope of what you are asked to do," Lewis said in his post-game news conference. "It's not all about you every play and we have to understand that."

"I think the main thing is not playing as a team right now and that's what he meant. It definitely is evident playing against a team that plays as one and doesn't play as individuals," Palmer said. "hey play as a unit and as a group. And that's where we need to get to. We're not there right now.

I think those looking at Chad and only Chad as the target for this are taking the easy way out. It's much deeper than that and seems to describe the roster top to bottom. Sure does sound a lot like the old days...

What are players going to say when the team struggles? "I suck!"??? I don't think so. They go to their cliche bag of quotes and pull out the "we're not playing as a team" or "we're not executing" lines that some fans lap up like a long-lost treat.

They go to their cliche bag of quotes and pull out the "we're not playing as a team" or "we're not executing" lines that some fans lap up like a long-lost treat.

Which is what you are doing in using it to attack Chad...

You are lapping up cliches to drive home your dislike for 85's "act"...

What? Chad is a showboat who has shown a proclivity to showboat and show up his qb at inopportune times. Is that cliche? His coach hasn't had the cajones to tell him to shut up and play ball and he's taking it way past the point of "having fun" to the point of embarrassment. Cliche? His lack of ability to control his emotions has given people like me more ammo to say he's a "look at me, everyone" guy. Cliche?

His talent is undeniable. However, don't make yourself look like a fool (I'm sure Big Willie thinks he is) and expect people to say "aww, he's just having fun."

Take off your 85 jersey for a second and admit that his guy, as talented as he is, needs to shut up and play ball.

What? Chad is a showboat who has shown a proclivity to showboat and show up his qb at inopportune times. Is that cliche? His coach hasn't had the cajones to tell him to shut up and play ball and he's taking it way past the point of "having fun" to the point of embarrassment. Cliche? His lack of ability to control his emotions has given people like me more ammo to say he's a "look at me, everyone" guy. Cliche?

His talent is undeniable. However, don't make yourself look like a fool (I'm sure Big Willie thinks he is) and expect people to say "aww, he's just having fun."

Take off your 85 jersey for a second and admit that his guy, as talented as he is, needs to shut up and play ball.

I just don't see the need to pigeon hole him in to a stereo type that clearly isn't who he is. He toned it down last year for several weeks. He was awful. The guy works as hard, if not harder, than anyone on the team 7 days a week. He was upset that he tripped up and should have scored? What an awful teammate.

Arguing with Carson was much ado about nothing. From every replay I saw Chad made the right read. Samuel had his eyes in the backfield and jumped the route. Chad ran the option route and Carson didn't see it.

Just another Adam Dunn type target for a bad sports town...

I just don't see the need to pigeon hole him in to a stereo type that clearly isn't who he is. He toned it down last year for several weeks. He was awful. The guy works as hard, if not harder, than anyone on the team 7 days a week. He was upset that he tripped up and should have scored? What an awful teammate.

Arguing with Carson was much ado about nothing. From every replay I saw Chad made the right read. Samuel had his eyes in the backfield and jumped the route. Chad ran the option route and Carson didn't see it.

Samuels "jumped the route" after CJ ran the wrong way. CP threw it to where CJ was supposed to be IMO. We'll never know because CJ will let CP fall on the sword no matter what.

No one questions his talent or his work ethic. Its never come up other than his apologists bringing it up. Heck, I don't even mind his dances in the end zone after he scores. I just don't want to hear him talking about it and building it up. Surprise us when you get there. Don't pout. Don't show up your qb when he makes a bad pass. Don't blow up at halftime of a playoff game.

Just play. Catch the ball. Score TDs. THEN have fun as long as its done properly and in the right situation.

The "sorry sports town" is appropriate because too many of us are worried about stats for our geek leagues and wondering "what will CJ do next" instead of watching the game and seeing what's right and what's wrong.

There are plenty enough players and coaches to blame on this Bengals team for the lousy start and Yes.....for the Lousy team :irked:.

As for the elite Mr. Chad Johnson.....You are a great and talented reciever so please Just Shut Up and play football and when you score please act like you have done it before! :irked:

Samuels "jumped the route" after CJ ran the wrong way. CP threw it to where CJ was supposed to be IMO. We'll never know because CJ will let CP fall on the sword no matter what.

Samuels was all over the route because his head was in the backfield the whole time. Carson didn't look him off and didn't make the proper read. I watched it at least 10 times and kept seeing the same thing. And if it makes you feel better I don't have 85 on either of my fantasy teams and prefer the work of 84 as a fan. Piling on Chad is taking the easy way out, and it's very similar to this town's hate for Adam Dunn...

Chad is not the only me player on this team..I mean Chad, TJ, Levi, Henry, Deltha, Thurman are people who are pretty obvious as people who you might say dont play as a team, and I sure there are a few others that aren't so obvious. People can blame it all on Chad, but this team is full of people who dont play as a team. However even though some of these guys dont play much as team, they still perform atleast on the offensive side of the ball usually..The whole blame goes on the defense, because I think the quote for not playing as team fits best with the defense, because apparently none of them do what they are suppose to do, which definitely qualifies for not playing as a team...

:thumb::ylsuper:

Someone explain this to me. If Chad works harder than anyone in the NFL, which is ridiculous because who really knows, then why did he have a horrible end of season last year? Can anyone honestly say, with a straight face, that he played bad because he couldn't 'run his mouth'? Seriously, talk about a mental midget.

I think Chad's a great receiver and obviously he works hard at it. But, I always refer back to what Michael Irvin used to say. Even if he was mad at Aikman, he didn't show him up or make him look like a fool because he needed Aikman to have confidence in himself and Irvin, to make the throws.

I don't care about celebrating, I don't care that he drops to his knees because he was a yard short of the end zone, I don't care that he celebrates after every touchdown or even the fact that he promotes it for two weeks. However, showing up you QB the way he does is inexcusable. There's not a person on the planet that could convince me other wise and anyone that does, quite frankly I'd question if they've ever played team sports.

As for the rest of the team, for the life of me I don't understand how a coach knows that his guys aren't sticking to their assignments and he continues to let it happen. I know pro coaches can't do a lot like if it were high school or college but quit giving everyone the 'keep it all in house' treatment and start calling guys out. They'll respond or get ticked, but they can't get any worse...