Heisman Race

buzzer beater

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Brennan is putting up big numbers, but let's be honest, ... both Woodson and Brohm have already faced better teams than he will face this entire season. Brennan has one decent team on their schedule and that is the last game against Washington. That should have some bearing on his candidacy as well as the fact that Hawaii does NOT belong in the top 25 right now. They could have a great record, he can continue to put up huge numbers against Cupcake University and Creampuff State but what Brohm and Woodson are doing is much more impressive. Let's all hope they both keep it up. I would LOVE to see them both in NYC.

My list at this point is........

McFadden - Arkansas

Hart - the school up north:D

Woodson - Kentucky

Booty - USC

Tebow - Florida

Laurinitis - Ohio State (see below)

Also one that will not be listed that I think should be is J. Laurinatis - Ohio State LB. Defensive players rarely get any mention but I believe that he is one of the best football players in the nation.

If the season ended today, I think Woodson would be the guy. I think the Heisman is more wide open this year than I can remember.

First of all, I thought Booty was the guy before the season, but not now. USC is relying heavily on it's defense and it's stable of running backs, which means Booty is doing more game management than highlight reel work. I don't think he'll win it, unless SC's passing game explodes.

After that, most of the top contenders are on teams that have lost a game or two, or probably will lose a few.

Woodson - If UK does something spectacular like go undefeated, or win the SEC or SEC East and make a BCS Bowl, then I think he'll probably win...if they finish 9-3/10-2, don't win the SEC East, I still think he'll be right in the mix.

Many of the rest of the big names are either playing on teams who probably won't be in the title mix....Brohm, McFadden, Hart, Brennan, Rice, Slaton, White, and Tebow...

I really think this could be a year when the Heisman doesn't go to the "best player on the best team."

If the season ended today, I think Woodson would be the guy. I think the Heisman is more wide open this year than I can remember.

First of all, I thought Booty was the guy before the season, but not now. USC is relying heavily on it's defense and it's stable of running backs, which means Booty is doing more game management than highlight reel work. I don't think he'll win it, unless SC's passing game explodes.

After that, most of the top contenders are on teams that have lost a game or two, or probably will lose a few.

Woodson - If UK does something spectacular like go undefeated, or win the SEC or SEC East and make a BCS Bowl, then I think he'll probably win...if they finish 9-3/10-2, don't win the SEC East, I still think he'll be right in the mix.

Many of the rest of the big names are either playing on teams who probably won't be in the title mix....Brohm, McFadden, Hart, Brennan, Rice, Slaton, White, and Tebow...

I really think this could be a year when the Heisman doesn't go to the "best player on the best team."

Yeah I watched Booty throw 2 really bad interceptions against Washington, 1 was returned for a TD. He did not look that good to me, and definitly not like a Heisman trophy candidate. Unless he really takes off soon the 2 best teams in the country in most people's eyes neither one will have a Heisman candidate.

I think Hart, Woodson, and McFadden are the top 3 right now.

Yeah I watched Booty throw 2 really bad interceptions against Washington, 1 was returned for a TD. He did not look that good to me, and definitly not like a Heisman trophy candidate. Unless he really takes off soon the 2 best teams in the country in most people's eyes neither one will have a Heisman candidate.

I think Hart, Woodson, and McFadden are the top 3 right now.

I would pick Jackson, Woodson, and McFadden.

I would pick Jackson, Woodson, and McFadden.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Jackson after I've been touting him as a dark horse all year...his odds are definitely better now.

If Cal wins out, and Jackson can have similar strong performances in their biggest games (USC, UCLA, etc.)...I think he'll be a front-runner because...

1) He'll be the best player on a top 2 team.

2) He'll have big time performances when it matters most.

3) The rest of the candidates will likely be from lower rated teams (teams with multiple losses).

So far things are going exactly as they need to for him to win...Cal is undefeated, and Jackson had a huge game in their biggest test (@ Oregon).

Jackson finally had a big game numbers wise, but he is going to have to be more consistent to really be a strong candidate.

While Hart is carrying Michigan right now.

Jackson has a huge advantage over Hart right now though...he's the best player on a title contender...Hart is the best player on a 2-loss team. And Jackson delivered big in Cal's toughest test to date, a huge win @ Oregon.

For Woodson his time to shine will be the LSU game...if he plays great and finds a way to throw 250+ yards, couple of TD's and keeps the Cats close then he will be a legitimate Heisman candidate...but if he comes out and does not move the ball...throws a couple of INT's and the Cats get stomped...then probably not. The next three games is what will either engrave Woodson a seat at the table, or make him a nice story but not invited to NYC.

If Woodson can throw for over 2 TD's and not INT's and win against South Carolina and keep it close with LSU and UF then he should be in the hunt for sure. But Woodson is 0-5 against USC, LSU and UF, going 0-3 last year. In last years games Woodson was 58 of 105 with 650 passing yards and 2 TD's and 2 INT's. Woodson will have to play a lot better in this years game for Kentucky to come close to beating LSU ( 49-0 loss last season ) UF ( 26-7 loss last season ) and USC ( 24-17 loss last season ).

Jackson has a huge advantage over Hart right now though...he's the best player on a title contender...Hart is the best player on a 2-loss team. And Jackson delivered big in Cal's toughest test to date, a huge win @ Oregon.

Jackson is a sensational athlete, but I believe he has to be consistent from here on out in order to win.

What makes him a better candidate than Keenan Burton right now? Burton has put up much better numbers on an undefeated team. At Arkansas he had 2 huge 2nd half TD catches.

Really the running back from Cal at this point IMO has a better Heisman resume.

For the record

Desean Jackson 5-0 312 recieving yards 2 TDs

101 rushing yards 1 TD

95 Punt Return yards 1TD

Keenan Burton 5-0 422 recieving yards 5 TDs

204 Kick Return yards

Burton also caught 2 TD passes when he was obviously not 100% against Arkansas on the road.

Its the return TDs that make the difference.