Cincinnati: Withrow 19 Taft 18

mcguirdt

This game involved two non-Kentucky teams, but I believe the story is worth telling. Just hours before the game between Taft and Withrow, a suspicious fire burned all of the Taft uniforms. The uniforms are kept in a locked room that is only used on gamedays. Fortunately, several schools offered to let the Senators borrow their uniforms. They took 2004 Division I state champ Colerain up on the offer, so they took the field in their own green helmets, white jerseys with red numbers and "COLERAIN" in Red, and red pants. During halftime, an unspecified community group made a donation to help replace the uniforms. Also, local restauranteur Jeff Ruby pledged to pay for new uniforms. A disturbing story, that someone would do such a thing, but it was nice to see the support of others to help them out.

As for the game, Withrow led 19-0 before the Senators made a furious rally that came up one point short.

I should also mention Taft is an "inner city" school that just started their football program back up about 5 or 6 years ago.

By the way, I found their bright yellow jerseys with green numbers and bright yellow pants to quite gaudy and ugly, but whoever did this is still wrong!

I'd be much more impressed if Ruby did this without the publicity that goes along with it.

With that said, good for him for stepping up.

If he did it with no publicity you wouldn't be impressed. B/c we wouldn't know.

I have no problem with a successful guy stepping up to help inner city kids and getting a little pub for it.