Prestonsburg 42 Lawrence County 12

UKBLUE1964

I have bit my tongue on this situation because I am not a LC fan (I root for them though when not playing Belfry).

There has been alot of chatter on numerous sites about replacing the coaching staff... if you replace the coaching staff then you are going to continue to feed the monster. The Bulldogs are trying to overhaul their program in terms of their offensive/defensive philosophy and it takes time....

Even when the Bulldogs were at their prime under Chuke Williams, running the ball down teams throats, they still were nowhere near a legit state title contender because they didn't have the balance to compete with the bigger schools. Look at Johnson Central, Coach Matney has devoted himself to improving his passing game and limiting the number of two-way players.

If you change coaching regimes right now, then all those kids in the feeder system will be put a severe disadvantage as they try to change what they have been taught. All the kids who are underclassmen right now, also will be put at a severe disadvantage, and all this for the uncertainty that the coach they bring is becomes the "Golden Boy" that the LC fanbase will automatically assume. Expectations in Louisa are high, as well they should be, but sometimes they are borderline rediculous! In the relative sense, this is still a very young LC team, but this LC team has been the by-product of Goldsmith's system... give them time to mature into Senior's. If at this time you don't see a positive difference, then it becomes reasonable debate as to whether it is time to make changes at the top. But until this point, HAVE PATIENCE.

Just my two cents...hope this doesn't offend someone.

I have bit my tongue on this situation because I am not a LC fan (I root for them though when not playing Belfry).

There has been alot of chatter on numerous sites about replacing the coaching staff... if you replace the coaching staff then you are going to continue to feed the monster. The Bulldogs are trying to overhaul their program in terms of their offensive/defensive philosophy and it takes time....

Even when the Bulldogs were at their prime under Chuke Williams, running the ball down teams throats, they still were nowhere near a legit state title contender because they didn't have the balance to compete with the bigger schools. Look at Johnson Central, Coach Matney has devoted himself to improving his passing game and limiting the number of two-way players.

If you change coaching regimes right now, then all those kids in the feeder system will be put a severe disadvantage as they try to change what they have been taught. All the kids who are underclassmen right now, also will be put at a severe disadvantage, and all this for the uncertainty that the coach they bring is becomes the "Golden Boy" that the LC fanbase will automatically assume. Expectations in Louisa are high, as well they should be, but sometimes they are borderline rediculous! In the relative sense, this is still a very young LC team, but this LC team has been the by-product of Goldsmith's system... give them time to mature into Senior's. If at this time you don't see a positive difference, then it becomes reasonable debate as to whether it is time to make changes at the top. But until this point, HAVE PATIENCE.

Just my two cents...hope this doesn't offend someone.

I think this is a great post!!!

That's always the first thing people want to say, but the bottom line is if you have better players your team wins.

A coach can make a difference in preparation, stamina, gameplan, etc., but he doesn't fumble, throw INTs, jump offsides, drop passes, or prepare for a game all week long with a goal of losing.

Sometimes the talent just isn't there. The good thing is these things go in cycles and good times at LC are in the mist. Keep your heads up!

I disagree. If the kid jumps off sides, drop passes, etc, then the coach should take him out and put someone else in. That will either drive that player to step up his game and make the replacement keep on his toes to take over anytime. IMO, it is a win-win situation. Fumbles and interception will happen, but there has to be a limit as well. The coaches have to be able to make those tough decisions and sometimes I don't think that if necessarily in their overall plan. :sssh:

Chuke, come what may, would jerk a kid out if he made a mistake. You kinda felt sorry for the kid but believe me, he did not make the same mistake twice. Some of these kids don't feel that pressure of another kid may replace them. I have also seen some "stupid" moves by the coaching staff that have hurt the team as a whole and I am not just talking about this year (but the same staff). Maybe it is not intentional but how many times can we say "what was he thinking?" :eek: as an excuse. These kids are talented and believe me they need a win to get their confidence up. By the way, I really don't think that these kids prepare all week to lose the game :rolleyes: A good coaching staff by the way can make even average players above average.

I want to go on record to clear up the previous response. I totally support the DAWGS and I understand that sometimes the team does not necessarily have the depth to address these issues such as fumbles, jumping off sides, etc. These are often mental mistakes and can occur because of fatigue. Since many of our kids play both sides, this can easily happen. I guess that it just got to me when the person stated that these kids practice all week to lose. Really:rolleyes: I do not think so. These kids practice hard and have sacrificed their summer and could easily be getting into trouble. These are a bunch of great young men. I LOVE THE DAWGS!!!! We have all got to stay positive and support the team. These boys really need all of the confidence that they deserve from us. :ylsuper: If I gave the impression otherwise, I apologize. By the way if anyone wants to see some pictures from the game, go to http://www.blackcatfootball.com Looks like he took some good pictures of both teams.

Keep your heads up LC. Three years ago Sheldon Clark only won 2 games. The next year they lost their first 3 (may be wrong) and came back and made it to the regional final. Also did Prestonsburg start out last year losing their first 4 or 5 games? You have great kids keep working hard, it'll pay off.

I don't have a DAWG in this fight. I enjoyed the Mason-Lawrence games the past few years when they were in the same district. Lots of tradition in Louisa, nice facility. Local (Maysville) connection with the head coach.

My question - how has Lawrence County had a young team for four years running (post #8)? If that really is the case, it sounds like there's an attrition issue.:confused:

I don't have a DAWG in this fight. I enjoyed the Mason-Lawrence games the past few years when they were in the same district. Lots of tradition in Louisa, nice facility. Local (Maysville) connection with the head coach.

My question - how has Lawrence County had a young team for four years running (post #8)? If that really is the case, it sounds like there's an attrition issue.:confused:

Mostly because alot of kids have either quit or have transferred out and this is not a coach issue but school adminstration issue and I will leave it at that.

LC numbers in general the last 3 years prior to this year were way down with only about 35 - 40 kids at varsity level. The statement about LC being young has been said for the past couple years mainly because alot of people kept referring to the feeder programs and middle school. There is alot of young talent at skill positions at LC this year than there has been in several years but the problem is most of them are either Sophomores or Freshmen.

I have known Billy since he came to LC back in the early 80's and he is working hard to bring back the excitement to LC football. Alot of people say he doesn't jump around and dance like he did when they played over 15 years ago. Well all I can say is of course not. :D I don't do that either, it is called growing old, :D