Fantasy Draft

Any suggestions who I should pick in my fantasy football league? I have the 4th, 13th and 20th picks.

I'm not sure who will be available.

4th - Frank Gore is the general consensus

Others to consider:

Shaun Alexander - scares me

Brian Westbrook - would be the guy, IMO, but he always misses at least a game or two

Willie Parker

Joseph Addai - hasn't proven he can carry the load as a feature back, but he might be worth the pick if he can...I think he can

13th and 20th - it's hard to say who'd be left

I'd probably take the best WR left at 13, and it's quite possible you might be the first person to pick a WR. Peyton Manning if he's available would be an option...or you could go ahead and get both your starting RB's out of the way. Personally, I'd go with the best WR and I'd draft Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, in that order.

Thanks guys!, I was thinking Alexander, but didn't think he would be around, why does he scare you 5wide?

I really like Addai also.

He's coming off injury and there have been reports that his foot still isn't 100% right. Plus, he's getting older and at an age when RB's are on the downside of their careers, and he's signed his big contract and made his payday...I just don't think he'll be the guy he was.

Gore is the up-and-comer...my RB rankings would go like this....

At 4 I'd skip Gore, and much of my decision would be based on if you get reception points. Addai would be high on my list as well as Westbrook and Reggie Bush. At 13 I'd still take a RB since this is a 8 team league you'll be able to get plenty of good WR's. At that point you are probably looking at Maroney or a Henry type of back.

At 4 I'd skip Gore, and much of my decision would be based on if you get reception points. Addai would be high on my list as well as Westbrook and Reggie Bush. At 13 I'd still take a RB since this is a 8 team league you'll be able to get plenty of good WR's. At that point you are probably looking at Maroney or a Henry type of back.

It depends on who's available obviously, but I wouldn't lock myself into taking two RB's no matter what. I think a lot of times that's a mistake...there aren't a lot of elite, dependable receivers in fantasy football, so it's a big plus to get one. Of course, it's impossible to tell someone who to pick with the 13th and 20th pick in the draft when it hasn't even started yet. It all depends on who's available...

4th - I would go with Addai if he was available. high scoring offense will give him a bunch of chances to produce. other choices, Gore, willie parker or brian westbrook. Larry johnson has a bad qb & bad o-line & shaun alexander may have lost a step. Reggie bush will lose goaline carries to deuce.

13th - I would go with Parker or Westbrook if they slide, then Bush, peyton manning, rudi johnson, or if want a wr (harrison, chad johnson, steve smith)

20th - depends what you do with the 1st 2 picks.

order to go: HB, HB, WR, QB (carson Palmer)

but if you take peyton go HB, QB (peyton), HB, WR,

I agree on trying to get two RB's first to a certain degree...but if it comes down to picking between guys like Ronnie Brown and Willis McGahee, who people think might break out, or a proven, elite, dependable receiver, I seriously think you're better off getting the wideout. You'll be able to get a productive RB in the third round, who could be just as good as the other guys, but you are far less likely to get a Harrison, Wayne or CJ if you pass...

...just my take. Of course, a lot depends on how the league is set up, and it seems yours is an 8 man show, so with picks 4 and 13, there's a decent chance you'll be able to get two good backs...

It depends on who's available obviously, but I wouldn't lock myself into taking two RB's no matter what. I think a lot of times that's a mistake...there aren't a lot of elite, dependable receivers in fantasy football, so it's a big plus to get one. Of course, it's impossible to tell someone who to pick with the 13th and 20th pick in the draft when it hasn't even started yet. It all depends on who's available...

I have to totally disagree with you here, I'd be happy with any of the top 15-20 Wr's to lead my team.

I have to totally disagree with you here, I'd be happy with any of the top 15-20 Wr's to lead my team.

Once you get past the top 8 or 9 elite RB's the corresponding drop isn't as steep as it is with WR's, so you have a better chance of getting similar production from another RB than you do at WR...

Last year's fantasy RB's per ESPN...

1. Ladainian Tomlinson - 418

2. Steven Jackson - 318

3. Larry Johnson - 317

4. Frank Gore - 251

5. Willie Parker - 249

6. Brian Westbrook - 243

7. Tiki Barber - 234

8. Maurice Jones-Drew - 223

9. Rudi Johnson - 196

10. Deuce McAllister - 177

20. Thomas Jones - 160

30. Mike Bell - 122

Now the WR's...

1. Marvin Harrison - 201

2. Terrell Owens - 195

3. Reggie Wayne - 183

4. Chad Johnson - 180

5. Donald Driver - 179

6. Lee Evans - 178

7. Torry Holt - 174

8. Steve Smith - 173

(tie) Javon Walker - 173

10. Roy Williams - 165

20. Mike Furrey - 135

30. Chris Henry - 115

So, hypothetically, if you had the opportunity to draft a top two receiver at #13, or a RB that was in the teens the point differential would be around +20 at a minimum, and then you'd have a good chance at getting a RB that would give similar production to the guy you passed on...if you went the opposite direction you'd be getting slightly better production with your RB pick, but significantly less with your WR pick because the studs aren't there...

Obviously, it depends on the players availabe at the time and how the guys ahead of you draft, but contrary to popular belief, picking two RB's with your first two picks isn't always the best route to take. :thumb: