Manual 20 Louisville Central 13

ram95

Good game.

Courtesy of two blocked extra points, one for each team, the game was tied 13-13 with 6 minutes to play. A failed fourth-down conversion attempt, and endzone interception and several other close calls later, Manual sealed the deal with a 1-yard touchdown run.

What's the name of the small running back for Manual? He was fun to watch... bounced off a lot of guys and managed to get lost in the shuffle then break for a few yards.

This was the first time I've seen a game at Central High Football Stadium... nice facility except for the lack of elevation in the visitor-side bleachers. I didn't necessarily see the things from the Yellowjackets that I thoght I might, but time and an entire season will tell. Good luck to both.

Watched the game with PepRock, Rockmom and RowdyRedRam. To all of you: it was a pleasure. :thumb:

The play on the field was not as crisp as I'm accustom to from Manual, however the following may have had an effect on the game. A. It was the first game of the season. B. IT WAS HOT. C. Central may have had a lot to do with it.

Neither side did anything extremely impessive, with the possible exception of Manual's defense that didn't allow Central to get into any real rythym.

Offensively Manual got beat by the defensive line that penertrated all night long. This was a major detrimient to our running game. How much of this was Central's talent or how much was Manual's poor blocking is a looming question, but they clearly made it hard to run the ball.

I was impressed with Central, they played clean ball and clearly have the talent to do well, even if they were in 6A. I think a fundamentally sound team can beat them in 3A, but after watching them I don't discount thier #1 ranking. They will overwhelmmost teams in there class. First time at there stadium, the atmosphere is 1000% better than it was before. They had a large and energetic crowd. Not enough seating for the vistors and dangeorusly narrow walkways were a minus, but still much better than thier old digs.

I was impressed with Central, they played clean ball and clearly have the talent to do well, even if they were in 6A. I think a fundamentally sound team can beat them in 3A, but after watching them I don't discount thier #1 ranking. They will overwhelmmost teams in there class. First time at there stadium, the atmosphere is 1000% better than it was before. They had a large and energetic crowd. Not enough seating for the vistors and dangeorusly narrow walkways were a minus, but still much better than thier old digs.

To see what Central will do against a team in their own class will better tell where they stand in relation to that #1 ranking. We won't find out until their district game against Bullitt East on Sept. 14, which follows a Sept. 7 game against Male (their schedule is brutal).

I agree with you on the atmosphere at the stadium. The band played loudly, the fans cheered loudly and the team was noticeably excited to be playing again. Should be a fun year for the Yellowjackets.

I would have liked to have seen this game with the temperature abut 10 degrees cooler. Both teams were showing serious wear from the heat as the game went on.

The first and most of the second quarters were exciting but as the game wore in it looked like both teams seemed to be running on empty. The Central defensive line is impressive, Manual had a hard time running up the middle most of the night. In fact I think Central spent almost as much time in the backfield as the running backs did n a few occasions.

Manual looked really good early, but as I said the heat really wore them down. They're very fast and their passing game is excellent. If the defense could improve on their tackling then they will be very successful this season.

Scoring:

1st 9:44 MHS Rhayven Smith 1yd run, Matt Burnett kick

1st 00:45 CHS Stephan Robinson 24 yd pass from Leland Banks, Josh Shea kick

2nd 10:36 MHS Rhayven Smith 17yd run, kick failed

4th 9:53 CHS Darrel Taylor 5 yd run, kick failed

4th 00:23 MHS Rhayven Smith 1 yd run, Matt Burnett kick

For Manual Rhayven had 13 carries for 56 yds and 3 TD's, Chantez Bates 6 for 43, DJ Hawk 13 for 39, Joey Harness completed 6 of 16 passes for 104 yds, with 1 INT (and several drops). Gerry Cooper had 2 catches for 50, Chantez Bates 1 for 24.

Central was led by Darrel Taylor's 19 carries for 92 yds and 1 TD, Terrance Wadlington had 5 carries for 14, Leland Banks completed 10 of 23 passes for 108 yards, 1 TD. Stephan Robinson had 3 catches for 60 and 1 TD, Tarrence Holstein had 3 for 21.

Sometimes I wanna stangle those guys. Some of them act like Manual football was invented the season they started playing wether it was 1950 or 1980, newsflash Manual played a football game in 1892. I've told them and anyone else that mentions that to check the book "That Old Rivalry" by Eustace Williams written in 1940's covering Male/Manual rivalry from 1893-1940. The 1893 Manual football team lists its colors as Red, BLACK, and White. So we're doing throwbacks and they can whine all they want. Looks good.

I don't like our homes, plain jane Red jerseys with simple white numbers no other trim colors or outlines, boring.

Sometimes I wanna stangle those guys. I've told them and anyone else that mentions that to check the book "That Old Rivalry" by Eustace Williams written in 1940's covering Male/Manual rivalry from 1893-1940. The 1893 Manual football team lists its colors as Red, BLACK, and White. So we're doing throwbacks and they can whine all they want. Looks good.

I don't like our homes, plain jane Red jerseys with simple white numbers no other trim colors or outlines, boring.

Pete, it's Ves. I like 'em too, saw several on my school bus today.

When you gonna be a guest on my radio show??:lol:

Wow, if Central can play that way against the "4th Best team in 6A", what will they do against teams in their class. I was one of the few who thought Central would win. I think Central has a very good chance of beating a few other 6A teams on their schedule. Time will tell.......

Wow, if Central can play that way against the "4th Best team in 6A", what will they do against teams in their class. I was one of the few who thought Central would win. I think Central has a very good chance of beating a few other 6A teams on their schedule. Time will tell.......

Technically we (Manual) are 5th.

I love the new jerseys. Manual was originally Cardinal red, Black ,and White. Crimson and White came later and lets face it we haven't really ever worn the shade of red that is technically Crimson, we have always worn a shade like Scarlet. And with the addition of YPAS whose student Jackets were black and silver back in the day, we have for all intents and purposes added black as a detail color on all school jerseys.

Sometimes I wanna stangle those guys. Some of them act like Manual football was invented the season they started playing wether it was 1950 or 1980, newsflash Manual played a football game in 1892. I've told them and anyone else that mentions that to check the book "That Old Rivalry" by Eustace Williams written in 1940's covering Male/Manual rivalry from 1893-1940. The 1893 Manual football team lists its colors as Red, BLACK, and White. So we're doing throwbacks and they can whine all they want. Looks good.

That's pretty funny, Pete. I have a copy of that book, but I never researched the question of Manual's colors. I found on page 5, the Manual football team roster from 1892, which says their colors were "Cardinal and Black" (no white/cream at all! :scared: ). How's that for irony--the "Old Goats" are old school, but not old school enough to remember their school's original colors!

Now what I saw at Fairdale last night, I'm pretty sure, was a major deviation from tradition: Male in all black visitor unifoms! Looked good, but weird. :creepy: