So how do we fix the 6 Class System?

They already do that with the schools that aren't co-ed.
And it still doesn't help 6A teams any. There is no perfect system. There is no way everyone ends up a winner at the end of the season. We just need to play with what we have and tweek what we can agree on.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already do that with the schools that aren't co-ed.
Not the same thing. Covington Catholic is a boys-only school, and a multiplier would have had them in 4A the last few years. The same might have been true for Lexington Catholic, too.

I do agree that we do need to give it time to see what happens.

And there will never be a solution for everyone on this issue.

HOWEVER, traveling across one side of the state is a BIG ISSUE in my opinion, for three or four of your district games. How is that being fair to players?

I do agree that we do need to give it time to see what happens.

And there will never be a solution for everyone on this issue.

HOWEVER, traveling across one side of the state is a BIG ISSUE in my opinion, for three or four of your district games. How is that being fair to players?

Who travels across the state for district games? Be specific please as to how far in miles for your example. Also please include the previous district before reclassification and schedule. Thanks.:cool:

Not the same thing. Covington Catholic is a boys-only school, and a multiplier would have had them in 4A the last few years. The same might have been true for Lexington Catholic, too.

Exactly, and with the 6A system we now have CCH jumped up to 5A voluntarily. Who'd a thunk it?:lol:

This topic bores me. We have yet to play the first game under the new system. The opposed, and I was one of them, lost. I got over it and am going to give this a chance.

No matter what happens, you are not going to please everyone and the problem that started this is going to still exist. Mayfield and Beechwood are still 1A so no reprive for the little schools and T and X are still playing football in the state so no reprieve for the larger schools.

The debate will rage on untill somebody figures out a solution for those two issues. Period.

Me, I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes:

I heard someone mention this before and thought it was a great idea IMO.

Keep the 6 class system, with different alignment issues:

6A: top 16 teams enrollment (4 districts), ALL 16 teams makes the playoffs.

1A: bottom 24 teams enrollment (4 districts), 16 teams makes the playoffs.

5A: Top 25% of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

4A: Top 26-50% of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

3A: Next 25% (51-75%) of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

2A: Last 25% (76-100%) of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

I heard someone mention this before and thought it was a great idea IMO.

Keep the 6 class system, with different alignment issues:

6A: top 16 teams enrollment (4 districts), ALL 16 teams makes the playoffs.

1A: bottom 24 teams enrollment (4 districts), 16 teams makes the playoffs.

5A: Top 25% of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

4A: Top 26-50% of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

3A: Next 25% (51-75%) of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

2A: Last 25% (76-100%) of remaining teams about 48 teams(8 districts), 32 teams make the playoffs.

This was one of my proposals back when we hashed this whole thing out on BGP. People still had problems with it too. I doubt there's anything you could say that there isn't someone who would find fault with it, and then we would be right back where we are now.

Leave it a few years and then try again.

yawn.......:sssh:

Eliminate the bye week from the season. Then all the top three from each district make the playoffs, with district champions getting a bye week. In a six-class system, 144 teams would make the playoffs (65%), which is an improvement over the old, but not so drastic as the new.

I like this idea. The idea of the vast majority of teams making the playoffs makes it less of an accomplishment. It is one of the things I like about football, it is (or was) an accomplishment, unlike other sports who hold district tourneys.

I also like Red Dog's idea. Why not have 1a champ play 2a champ,3a champ play 4a champ,5a champ play 6a champ? It would make an interesting ending for a season. As it is now, I think 1a champ would only be champion over about 40 schools. I have thought this would be interesting. You would still be champ of your own class, but why not see who is best of the best. One champion; what a novel concept!:scared:

What kind of multiplier would have put Cov Cath in 4A under the past system? Their population x2 is what I believe was used(as other non-coed schools) and that landed them in 3A.

Assigning a multiplier on private schools' enrollment isn't the same thing as doubling the enrollment of single-sex schools.

Example ... Lexington Catholic's enrollment last year was 867. A 1.5 multiplier would have classified LexCath's enrollment at 1300.5 (867 x 1.5).

Covington Catholic had 515 boys in four grades. The multiplier would be applied to the 1,030 figure (515 x 2) and give CovCath a classification figure of 1,545 (1,030 x 1.5).

3 or 4 public classes

2 private classes

Public and private can schedule each other and play at their own discretion. Also if a private school wants to play in a public division it must play up a class. This is roughly how TN does it to the best of my knowledge...i.e. Knox Cath. has approx. 2A enrollment and plays in class 3A. If KHSAA is intent on keeping 6 classes upon the next census then one and possibly two districts should be eliminated in order to have approx. 6 to 7 teams in a district. It is great that so many can participate, but when it is possible to be 0-10 and still make the playoffs it is a little rediculous.

Oh my Lord...