So how do we fix the 6 Class System?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn indeed, because the teams that should not be in are in...I am fairly certain only one 2A school won't make it...and with so many 4 team districts out there one could, as I mentioned earlier, go 0-10 and be a playoff team. As supershamrocks mentioned about talent...yes X and T are more talented than many, but it must be stated that they are VERY WELL COACHED!!! Technique will beat talent much of the time.

It must be said that this state hasn't enough teams to support 6 classes...they are barely filling the playoff brackets.

Just read the Lex Hearld and some coaches like the new 6 classes, while some oppose it. So how you would fix it to make everyone happy?
Do away with championship trophies and give out participation trophies.

Go back to 4 classes like it has always been or if we stick to 6A make only 2 teams getting into the playoffs from each district instead of 4.

Maybe you should define "always been". 4A wasn't created until 1975.

Go back to 4 classes like it has always been or if we stick to 6A make only 2 teams getting into the playoffs from each district instead of 4.

Eliminate the bye week from the season. Then all the top three from each district make the playoffs, with district champions getting a bye week. In a six-class system, 144 teams would make the playoffs (65%), which is an improvement over the old, but not so drastic as the new.

4 classes, 32 teams in each class. Divisions or conferences of 8 teams apiece. Teams play a 7 game division schedule and 3 out-of-division games at the start of the year. Football games do not start until the first week of September. At the end of the regular season, 6 teams from each class (the 4 division champs and two at-large berths) are seeded by a committee comprised of coaches, school officials, and media representatives. 2 teams are given a first-round bye, the other 4 play a first-round quarterfinal, followed by a second-round semifinal against the teams who had byes (the day after Thanksgiving), and a state title game in each class at either PJCS or Commonwealth stadium the week after.

Shorten the pre-season and post-season, emphasize performance during the year.

Why not have 1a champ play 2a champ,3a champ play 4a champ,5a champ play 6a champ? It would make an interesting ending for a season. As it is now, I think 1a champ would only be champion over about 40 schools.

Then why classify at all? Or why not a 3 class system?

FWIW I didn't favor expanding BUT now that's it's happened we all need to sit back and see how it plays out for a few years before changing anything.

I think a 5 class system would have been a good idea. 6 state champs in a state the size of Kentucky is too many. 5 classes would have been a good solution.

Put a multiplier on private school enrollment. The privates all move up one or two classes.