So how do we fix the 6 Class System?

Just read the Lex Hearld and some coaches like the new 6 classes, while some oppose it. So how you would fix it to make everyone happy?

I would like to see something like this:

1. Keep the 6 Classes - But each team must stay in the Class that they were assigned. (They cannot move up to another class) Teams are assigned to a class based on the schools population.

2. All teams in the state are assigned to a "Conference" that they will play in. Each Conference may be made up with teams from different classes, but they would be competative and would save time and money from traveling such long distances (Like today we have some teams traveling 3 hours to play a district game)

2a. For Example: A conference could be made up with these teams based on their location from each other: Pulaski County, South Western, Russell County, Somerset, Wayne County, McCreary Central, and RockCastle County. Teams from different classes would be represented, but each playing to try and win a Conference Championship. (Winning a conference title would automatically put you into the playoffs in your class, placing 2nd, 3rd, etc... would only mean that you placed 2nd, 3rd, etc... in that Conference)

There would no longer be just the top four teams from each district going to the playoffs - you would only be going into the playoffs based on your seasons record and a ranking system.

3. A ranking system would be in place to rank all teams in each class. Only the top 32 teams from each class would be heading to the playoffs. The playoffs would be set in relation to location for regional games in each class. This would change each year of course depending on how each team does.

The ranking system would take into account the strength of schedule and the number of wins above .500. The strength of the conference would have a small percentage for ranking a team.

OK... I know that this may not be perfect, but at least I am throwing out an idea here... if you have something better or can add something to this, then lets hear it!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we overhaul the system again, can we at least see how this one works first?

Just what I was thinking.

The earlier ideas make the system much, much too complicated. If you aren't going to use the districts to determine the playoff teams, there's no point in having districts.

3 or 4 public classes

2 private classes

Public and private can schedule each other and play at their own discretion. Also if a private school wants to play in a public division it must play up a class. This is roughly how TN does it to the best of my knowledge...i.e. Knox Cath. has approx. 2A enrollment and plays in class 3A. If KHSAA is intent on keeping 6 classes upon the next census then one and possibly two districts should be eliminated in order to have approx. 6 to 7 teams in a district. It is great that so many can participate, but when it is possible to be 0-10 and still make the playoffs it is a little rediculous.

3 or 4 public classes

2 private classes

Public and private can schedule each other and play at their own discretion. Also if a private school wants to play in a public division it must play up a class. This is roughly how TN does it to the best of my knowledge...i.e. Knox Cath. has approx. 2A enrollment and plays in class 3A. If KHSAA is intent on keeping 6 classes upon the next census then one and possibly two districts should be eliminated in order to have approx. 6 to 7 teams in a district. It is great that so many can participate, but when it is possible to be 0-10 and still make the playoffs it is a little rediculous.

I hate the idea of dividing the public and private schools. I want all teams to be able to play each other. I'd hate to see the argument "this team may have won their championship but that was only for public schools, the private schools would beat them easy, blah, blah". Too many round robins to worry about anyway. Plus, personally, as a Louisville native, the good rivalries for the public schools are always going to be against X or T. If we seperate them, we seperate tradition and a sense of community. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I feel.

They can certainly play, just for seperate championships through districts and playoffs. Obviously one must realize that Trinity et al. will be in 6A etc. regardless...so they are going to continue to dominate...because they are at the top...so if they chose to remain public they would still be in the highest class.

As I said the option to stay public is there...with the playing up stipulation.

Plus, personally, as a Louisville native, the good rivalries for the public schools are always going to be against X or T. If we seperate them, we seperate tradition and a sense of community. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I feel.
I'm with ya' all the way! :thumb:

You don't fix anything, for the sake of fixing it or because some are unhappy.....the 'ole saying, you can't please everyone, is accurate for 6 Class Football.

It will take time and not 1 season of time, but perhaps 3-5 years. Most schools are playing up, in bigger Class and must adjust to the competition, size, travel and everything associated with being competitive.

Give it time and no matter what, some will applaud and some will loath.

Get rid of the KHSAA...because they are clueless to this whole matter.

Im sick of hearing how much of an advantage Trinity or X has because of thier superior talent.

Folks, Trinity and St. X combined have not had as many D1 players as Male in the last 5 years. So who's complaining about Male?

The four class system was fine. Doing the 6 class thing, only gets teams who normally wouldn't make the playoffs, into the first round against an opponent who will likely lay a 60-0 shalacking on them and run the clock in the second half.

Im with the guru on this one....YAWN:sleep: