5wide's 2007 NFL Predictions

5wide

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shockey has only missed a significant amount of games 1 season...that was his 2nd season. How is he injury proned? He's been banged up some, but he plays through a lot of pain.

Their OL is nothing great? How you think Tiki gained all those yards?

Eli is a bit inconsistent, but what has Jason Campbell done? Tony Romo? Romo hasn't played an entire year, yet he's already crowned as a top notch QB? :lol: Most overrated player in the NFL for 2006 = Tony Romo.

Burress actually plays very inspired. Go back and look at some of Tiki's longest runs and see who's out there lead blocking. I guarantee you see #17 out there a lot.

Strahan isn't the best player on the D anymore. He's probably top 3...but not the best. I'd give that to Pierce, or Umenyiora.

I never said you should expect the Giants to win the superbowl. I don't predict them to at this point. I do think they're a much better team than the Redskins.

They're very comparable to the Redskins. We know what to expect from Eli Manning...he looks like Peyton one week and Tim Couch the next. I give credit to Shockey for playing through pain, but when he's always injured he isn't 100% = injury prone. Burress is like houdini...now you see him, now you don't. I may have been too harsh on the o-line, so I'll give you that one.

In any case, your arguments are the same ones I use...you see things as a Giants fan, I don't. You see Toomer back...I see an old receiver coming back from an ACL injury. As for Eli...you see the Peyton games, I remember the Couch games...

You have a right to think the Giants will be good. They might. They have potential. But, there are a lot of ifs that I don't think will go their way, so I'm fully justified in expecting less from them.

Bottom line - They were 8-8 with Tiki Barber at his peak. Why should I expect them to even reach that win total without him? If you can give me a satisfactory answer, I might change my mind.

They're very comparable to the Redskins. We know what to expect from Eli Manning...he looks like Peyton one week and Tim Couch the next. I give credit to Shockey for playing through pain, but when he's always injured he isn't 100% = injury prone. Burress is like houdini...now you see him, now you don't. I may have been too harsh on the o-line, so I'll give you that one.

In any case, your arguments are the same ones I use...you see things as a Giants fan, I don't. You see Toomer back...I see an old receiver coming back from an ACL injury. As for Eli...you see the Peyton games, I remember the Couch games...

You have a right to think the Giants will be good. They might. They have potential. But, there are a lot of ifs that I don't think will go their way, so I'm fully justified in expecting less from them.

Bottom line - They were 8-8 with Tiki Barber at his peak. Why should I expect them to even reach that win total without him? If you can give me a satisfactory answer, I might change my mind.

Tiki Barber, as much as I hate to admit it, was a distraction to the team last year. That was obvious. The retirement talk got old after 1 week, and it lasted an entire season.

I've seen Toomer running on videos at camp. I've seen reports that Toomer looks as good as always and is out there returning punts even in practice at camp. You haven't. I said Eli was inconsistent. Did you not read that? Even with his inconsistency, he's an above average QB. If his inconsistency problems are solved, then he'll be a pro bowl QB every year.

The Redskins were a TERRIBLE team last season. Their defense isn't as good as it once was, and their offense isn't very good either. The Giants only key loss really was Tiki Barber. So what if Brandon Jacobs turns out to be what many Giant fans expect him to be?

I'll admit the Giants have questions. But every team does. The Cowboys have a young QB with less than a year's experience, and a nut case at WR along with an aging WR (Terry Glenn). They can't seem to figure out who they want to start at RB. They're defense was solid under Parcells, but a new coaching regime may change things. They have a re-tread coach who hasn't really been successful anywhere...what makes Cowboy fans optimistic about that.

The Eagles have an injury proned QB, an inconsistent running game, and no WR's worth mentioning. LJ Smith was injured in camp earlier, not sure how bad it was and they're defense is full of aging guys (Trotter, Dawkins, Kearse).

The Redskins have a young QB with little experience and an injury proned RB. They have one consistent WR and a few that show flashes, but nothing consistent (randel el, lloyd). Their offensive line isn't anything great, is it? They also don't have the top notch defense they once had.

Every team has questions...not just the Giants.

*About Shockey: He does get hurt a lot, but that's because of his style of play. He plays hard each and every down. I can understand calling McNabb injury proned, or Portis. They miss time when they're injured. Shockey gets HURT. Being hurt and being injured are different. Shockey has had over 600 yards every year in the NFL aside from the one he had to sit out a few games. He had almost 900 yards 2 seasons ago and 7 TD's each of the past two seasons. He's a top 3 TE in the NFL even when he's "hurt".

You see it your way, I see it mine. It's fair enough. I don't think the Giants will have a good season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them switch places with the Redskins in my predictions, but I would be surprised to see them finished any higher than 3rd in the East, or make the playoffs.

Yes, they will...:madman: :D

No, they won't. They have no QB. Quinn is not a savior and the other two aren't any better than he is.

The only way they don't end up at the bottom of the North is if Lewis has a career year. Not likely.:thumb:

AFC North

1. Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)

Additions: DT Kenderick Allen, LB Ed Hartwell, DT Michael Myers, C Alex Stepanovich

Losses: DT Sam Adams, CB Tory James, S Kevin Kaesviharn, LB Brian Simmons, DT Shaun Smith, G Eric Steinbach, TE Tony Stewart, WR Kelley Washington, LB Marcus Wilkins, QB Anthony Wright

Offense

One of the best in the league. Period. Carson Palmer is probably the third best QB in the league behind Manning and Brady, and should be even better this year with another year of experience and a full year on his surgically repaired knee under his belt. Rudi Johnson provides the type of consistency, durability and stability that is rare for an NFL running back. His numbers are virtually the same every season. He's not a game breaker, but more like a battering ram pounding out tough yards between the tackles and keeping the chains moving. He also keeps defenses honest and keeps the Bengals in favorable down and distance situations which makes the passing game even more explosive and the Bengals even tougher to defend. The team hoped to find a backup to ease his load, but haven't had any luck due to injuries (Chris Perry, Kenny Irons). The Bengals have the best receiving unit in the league when it's at full strength. Chad Johnson is an elite receiver, one of the four best in football. His quickness makes him hard to press cover and allows him to get deep. He has great hands and is a big play receiver. T. J. Houshmandzadeh is one of the best #2 receivers in the league and a perfect complement to Johnson. He's a big, physical possession receiver who catches the ball well and is tough over the middle. He's a great red-zone target. Chris Henry is the enigma, the most physically gifted receiver on the team, but his off-field issues threaten to derail his career. When he's playing, it adds a new gear to the Bengal offense. Henry is big and fast and can get deep and catch the jump ball. He's a nightmare matchup for defenses as a third receiver. TE Reggie Kelly is an excellent blocker and a dependable receiver, but he isn't targeted often. The offensive line is an elite unit with two excellent tackles (Willie Anderson and Levi Jones).

Overall, this is one of the two best offenses in the league along with Indianapolis. Expect more of the same this year.

Defense

The best player on the defensive line is DE Justin Smith. He's a good all-around player, but he isn't a big playmaker. The rest of the line is filled with guys who are solid at times, but no real difference makers. Edge rusher Robert Geathers broke through with 10.5 sacks last year, so they're hoping he can emerge as a consistent pass rusher, but stopping the run remains a major concern. At LB, the Bengals are banking on Ahmad Brooks to be the answer in the middle. He has the tools to do it, but he's inexperienced. Free agent pickup Ed Hartwell could be a big boost if he can regain the form before injuries side-tracked his career. The group has some potential, but there are a lot of questions to be answered. The secondary could finally be a strength if they stay healthy and play to their potential. Johnathan Joseph is a star in the making and Deltha O'Neal is a solid playmaker. If rookie Leon Hall can emerge the Bengals should have a solid trio of corners. Madieu Williams has shown promise and they need him to step up this year. Dexter Jackson will be a solid guy if the rest of the unit plays up to par.

Overall, don't expect any miracles from this group, but they don't have to be great. If they can show some improvement and force some turnovers, the offense can take care of the rest.

Kicker Shayne Graham is the star of the special teams and one of the best in the league. After that, the special teams are so-so.

Bottom line: Anything less than a playoff berth will be a disappointment and the Bengals have the talent to make a run if the defense can become respectable.

2. Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

Additions: RB Willis McGahee

Losses: NT Aubrayo Franklin, RB Jamal Lewis, FB Ovie Mughelli, G Edwin Mulitalo, OT Tony Pashos, LB Adalius Thomas

Offense

Steve McNair isn't the player he once was, but he's still a solid QB and the best the Ravens have had. He can't carry a team, but with the proper talent around him he can win. He's excellent at managing games, poised and a clutch player. As long as he's healthy, the Ravens should be in good hands. Backup Kyle Boller played well in McNair's absence last year, so he may be better if he's forced into action for a second go-round. Willis McGahee was a nice upgrade at RB. He should give a more inspired effort than he did last year in Buffalo. He's younger, faster and more versatile than the departed Jamal Lewis. He should upgrade the ground game and allow the offense as a whole to be more dynamic. Mike Anderson and Musa Smith are solid backups. Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton give the Ravens a solid tandem at WR. Mason is a veteran and has a good chemistry with McNair, but Clayton is younger with a huge upside. Second year receiver Demetrius Williams has a big upside as well and should give the team a solid third receiver. Todd Heap is an elite TE and an excellent red-zone and third down receiver. The line is aging and not what it once was, but it should still be solid. Jonathan Ogden is still the anchor and one of the best tackles to ever play the game, so he gives them some stability. The rest of the line is composed of young up-and-comers or aging veterans on the downside of their career. If rookie Ben Grubbs emerges, this line could turn into a strength.

Overall, the offense has the tools to be more dynamic and consistent than before, but they need to become more aggressive with their play calling.

Defense

The best in football. Period. The line great. End Haloti Ngata is a star in the making. The other end, Trevor Pryce, is an elite player as well with 13 sacks in 2006, and is tough against the run. NT Kelly Gregg isn't the most physically gifted player, but he more than makes up for it with his effort. He never stops and does exactly what they need from him on this defense. Work hard and stop the run. The linebackers, like every other unit on this defense, are elite. The loss of Adalius Thomas will hurt, but they have enough talent to absorb it. Ray Lewis is still arguably the best LB in the game. He makes plays from sideline to sideline and is a great tackler. He's a smart player and is also solid in pass coverage. Bart Scott is a very good LB and his star is rising. Terrell Suggs is an elite pass rusher and is slowly, but surely developing into a complete player. They'll need to find someone to replace Thomas, but his job will be easier with the talent around him. The secondary is, you guessed it, elite. Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle form probably the best CB duo in the league. McAlister is a big, physical shutdown corner. Rolle hasn't played up to his potential in Baltimore, but when he's on his game, he can't be an elite player as well. Ed Reed is a big, time playmaker and a ball hawk. He may be the best safety in football as he excels in pass coverage and can deliver big hits in run support. He also makes things happen when he gets the ball in his hands. Dawan Landry is a second year safety with good tools and excellent potential. If he plays smart, he should be solid in this defense.

Overall, this group should once again be the best in football and with Rex Ryan's attacking scheme expect them to make a lot of big plays and score a few TD's.

Matt Stover is a solid kicker. He doesn't have great range, but he is accurate. Sam Koch is a solid punter. B. J. Sams showed some big promise as a kick returner before breaking his ankle. If he returns to form, the return game could be dangerous.

Bottom line: The Ravens expect to be in the playoffs and they should be. After a 13-3 season last year and a flame-out in the playoffs, they feel like they have unfinished business. This team has the pieces to win the Super Bowl if things break their way, namely McNair staying healthy and the offense becoming more dynamic to complement the defense.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-7)

Additions: RB Kevan Barlow, G/C Sean Mahan

Losses: C Jeff Hartings, RB Verron Haynes, WR Sean Morey, LB Joey Porter

Offense

Expect Big Ben to play better than last year. Don't expect him to return to Super Bowl form this year with a new coach and OC. Willie Parker is a great RB. He is game breaking threat and durable. He proved last year that he can carry the load. Najeh Davenport or Kevan Barlow should emerge as a guy who can give Parker a break and pound the ball in short yardage. Dan Kreider is an excellent blocker at FB. Hines Ward is solid and steady at WR. You know what you're going to get. Santonio Holmes started to emerge late last season and should continue to play better. He could become a big weapon for the Steelers and a guy who stretches the field. They need someone to step up and give them a dependable third receiver. Heath Miller has the tools to be an elite TE and should become one if the Steelers target him as they should. He's a real weapon. The offensive line is big and nasty and should be very good once again. The loss of Hartings will hurt, but this unit should still be a strength of the team.

Overall, expect more Steeler football. Pounding the rock behind a big, physical line. They'll need Big Ben and his passing cohorts to make some plays through the air though, and there could be some bumps in the road with the coaching changes. This team has the talent and if things gel quickly could be a major factor in the AFC. More than likely, I think there will be an adjustment period to Tomlin and the new offensive coordinator and 2008 could be more realistic for a big year.

Defense

Mike Tomlin is a 4-3 guy, so you have to wonder if he'll tinker with the defense and if so, how much? And you have to wonder when he will start the transition to the 4-3. In any case, the line is solid with guys who work hard and make plays. Casey Hampton is the star at tackle. He anchors the defense by stuffing the run and occupying blockers. The linebacking group is very good. The loss of Joey Porter shouldn't hurt them much, if any. James Farrior, Larry Foote, Clark Haggans, and James Harrison are all solid, and sometimes more than that. If rookies Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley can make an impact, they'll have an elite unit. They need CB Ike Taylor to play at a high level and he should. If he does, the secondary should be pretty good. Bryant McFadden is on the rise and if he emerges as a stud, this defense could be among the best in football. Troy Polamalu is generally regarded as the best safety in football as he wreaks havoc no matter where he plays. He excels in coverage and is even more dangerous in the box. They need a solid guy to cover the back end and free Polamalu to roam and they hope Anthony Smith can get that job done.

Overall, expect the defense to be good, but if things click, it could be great.

Jeff Reed is a solid kicker, but the special teams are average.

Bottom line: There are some questions, but the talent is there and they've proven they can win with these players (2006 Super Bowl). I expect the coaching changes to affect them some this year, so I think they'll likely be a bigger threat next season.

4. Cleveland Browns (4-12)

Additions: CB Mike Adams, WR Tim Carter, RB Jamal Lewis, OL Seth McKinney, DE Antwan Peek, FB Alan Ricard, DT Robaire Smith, DT Shaun Smith, G Eric Steinbach, CB Kenny Wright

Losses: G Joe Andruzzi, RB Reuben Droughns, DL Nick Eason, DT Alvin McKinley, WR Dennis Northcutt, S Brian Russell, FB Terrelle Smith

Offense

Big questions at QB. Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson aren't going to be the answer. They need Brady Quinn to step up and be the man at QB and I think he will. Just not this year. They need to put him in at some point this year and let him take his lumps, so they can get some stability at the position. If Quinn can get it done, they may have a pretty good offense by season's end. The addition of Jamal Lewis should help the running game, but don't expect a miracle. This isn't the same guy who gained 2,000 yards...besides, he can't play against the Browns anymore. The WR's should be a strength. Braylon Edwards is an elite talent if the Browns can get some good QB play. Joe Jurevicius is a solid veteran who is steady and dependable. Tim Carter has nice speed and could be a solid #3 if he can mature and become more reliable. Kellen Winslow is an elite talent at TE, but injuries have prevented him from fulfilling that promise. You also have to wonder if he has the same potential now that he once did. The offensive line should be better, especially if Joe Thomas proves himself worthy of the #3 pick. It will probably take some time for the line to develop chemistry though, so don't expect great things early.

Overall, they are starting to get some pieces on offense, but they aren't quite there. Don't expect a lot early, but if Quinn and Thomas develop, everyone stays healthy, and the line gels, the offense could start to blossom at some point.

Defense

The line isn't very good. The best players, Orpheus Roye and Ted Washington are 12 and 17 year veterans, respectively. There isn't a lot of promise on the horizon either. They need to draft some talent on the D-line or sign some. The linebacking group has a lot of talent and potential, lead by Kamerion Wimbley. He's on his way to becoming an elite player. Andra Davis and D'Qwell Jackson are very good performers who should get better. Willie McGinest is on the downside of his career, but he's still worth having on the field. He may have lost a step, but his smarts helps offset that. His leadership and example for the younger guys is invaluable. Leigh Bodden is an underrated corner and could continue to get better. Eric Wright is a huge talent, but he's a rookie and there are questions about his character. They really need him to deliver, or else the CB position will be a disaster again this year. Safety Sean Jones is an excellent young player, and if Brodney Pool develops, they could have a solid pair of safeties.

Overall, they have an excellent group of LB's, and a few good pieces in the secondary, but not enough depth. The line is weak and will ultimately make the rest of the defense look worse if it doesn't overachieve.

Phil Dawson is one of the most reliable kickers in the league. The rest of the special teams is nothing to write home about.

Bottom Line: The Browns are finally starting to get some pieces in place, but they still have some work to do. The best case for Browns fans is to see the young guys start to emerge and click as the season progresses and show some promise. They'll likely struggle a lot early, but if things go well, they could become much more competitive as the season goes on, especially on offense.

You see it your way, I see it mine. It's fair enough. I don't think the Giants will have a good season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them switch places with the Redskins in my predictions, but I would be surprised to see them finished any higher than 3rd in the East, or make the playoffs.

I won't be surprised at all if the Giants win the division. I won't be surprised if they finish 3rd either. If they finish worse than 3rd, I will be surprised.