5wide's 2007 NFL Predictions

5wide

Manning has been a bit inconsistent, but he's been better than the average QB in the NFL. His last name brings a lot of hype, and a ton of critics as well.

Strahan is considering retirement, but I do not feel that he will retire.

Burress and Shockey have been considered "me" guys by media. Ask any of their teammates and I'm sure you'll hear different. Shockey and Burress were in mini camp this year, instead of in Miami the whole time.

Jacobs will be a beast. Droughns has ran well for a couple of teams (Denver, Cleveland) he's a great #2 option.

I agree with almost everything you said here. I don't think Strahan will retire yet but he's got a real bad taste for the way they have done him. Eli is above the midline for Qb's but he is very inconsistant IMO. I think this is the year that he has to start taking that next step. There's no way to predict and I hope he does well. I really like Jacobs and it's scary how good that Auburn team was at the skill spots!

Shockey and Burress are ME guys! There's no way around it! The simple fact that it's taken them this long to actually work out with their QB instead of live it up at South Beach is just another brick in the wall with those two. I love watching Shockey play as he is passionate but he can be a whiner too. Burress is just garbage IMO. I sure as heck wouldn't want him on my team! Shockey I could live with becasue he's passionate but I think he runs his mouth too much sometimes especailly when he isn't playing a full year.

I've accused Chad Johnson of being a me guy before but at least he jumped in the pickup with Carson to drive to Indy so they could learn from watching Manning and Harrison workout!

Toomer was a big loss for the GMen last year I thought. He is everything that Burress isn't.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with almost everything you said here. I don't think Strahan will retire yet but he's got a real bad taste for the way they have done him. Eli is above the midline for Qb's but he is very inconsistant IMO. I think this is the year that he has to start taking that next step. There's no way to predict and I hope he does well. I really like Jacobs and it's scary how good that Auburn team was at the skill spots!

Shockey and Burress are ME guys! There's no way around it! The simple fact that it's taken them this long to actually work out with their QB instead of live it up at South Beach is just another brick in the wall with those two. I love watching Shockey play as he is passionate but he can be a whiner too. Burress is just garbage IMO. I sure as heck wouldn't want him on my team! Shockey I could live with becasue he's passionate but I think he runs his mouth too much sometimes especailly when he isn't playing a full year.

I've accused Chad Johnson of being a me guy before but at least he jumped in the pickup with Carson to drive to Indy so they could learn from watching Manning and Harrison workout!

Toomer was a big loss for the GMen last year I thought. He is everything that Burress isn't.

About Shockey not playing a full year...

He's only missed significant time one season. He's played at least 5 full seasons.

Burress works hard on and off the field. He gets frustrated from time to time when he doesn't get a lot of catches, but...what big named WR doesn't? Chad does, TO does, etc.

Burress and Shockey being in New Jersey this year should have shut up a lot of the "me" talk. They are sort of darned if they do, darned if they don't. It's a little hypocritical to call them "me" guys for training away from Eli and still claim that their "Me" guys when the do the opposite.

Eli is above the midline for Qb's but he is very inconsistant IMO. I think this is the year that he has to start taking that next step. There's no way to predict and I hope he does well.

What do the Giants do if Eli doesn't pick it up this year? Do they start to look for the next franchise QB or give Eli one more year?

About Shockey not playing a full year...

He's only missed significant time one season. He's played at least 5 full seasons.

Burress works hard on and off the field. He gets frustrated from time to time when he doesn't get a lot of catches, but...what big named WR doesn't? Chad does, TO does, etc.

Burress and Shockey being in New Jersey this year should have shut up a lot of the "me" talk. They are sort of darned if they do, darned if they don't. It's a little hypocritical to call them "me" guys for training away from Eli and still claim that their "Me" guys when the do the opposite.

You just aren't seeing it. How long have they been in the league? This is the FIRST year they have made the commitment to the team to stay around and work with their QB so they can get better. How many years have guys like Manning and Harrison been working out together? Toomer is a class act but Burress chaps my rear.

I've said before that Chad Johnson goes overboard too much sometimes wanting attention. He still works out with Palmer to get better. I think CJ and Shockey are a little alike in that they are both passionate about the game.

You compared him to TO for goodness sakes! That should tell you something right there! TO is Mr. Me and if you asked his teammates in Dallas the majority of them would go to bat for him just like the guys on the Giants would go to bat for their guy or the Bengals for their guy.

As far as Manning goes, that's a tough one. I just can't hardly see them bailing on him if things go bad because of what they gave up for him. The only way would be if they could pull off a major trade but I really don't see that happening. I think they are patient with him. He is still better than over half the league. I think he starts to turn the corner some this year.

You just aren't seeing it. How long have they been in the league? This is the FIRST year they have made the commitment to the team to stay around and work with their QB so they can get better. How many years have guys like Manning and Harrison been working out together? Toomer is a class act but Burress chaps my rear.

I've said before that Chad Johnson goes overboard too much sometimes wanting attention. He still works out with Palmer to get better. I think CJ and Shockey are a little alike in that they are both passionate about the game.

You compared him to TO for goodness sakes! That should tell you something right there! TO is Mr. Me and if you asked his teammates in Dallas the majority of them would go to bat for him just like the guys on the Giants would go to bat for their guy or the Bengals for their guy.

As far as Manning goes, that's a tough one. I just can't hardly see them bailing on him if things go bad because of what they gave up for him. The only way would be if they could pull off a major trade but I really don't see that happening. I think they are patient with him. He is still better than over half the league. I think he starts to turn the corner some this year.

No way they bail on Manning if he doesn't have the "big" year. He's still a solid QB, just inconsistent. He'll be the starter for a few more years. And if he stops the inconsistency...another decade.

No way they bail on Manning if he doesn't have the "big" year. He's still a solid QB, just inconsistent. He'll be the starter for a few more years. And if he stops the inconsistency...another decade.

I agree. They've got too much invested in him to not continue to grow him.

:thumb:

They expect better and rightfully so. His talent level and pedigree along with the flashes of greatness he has shown justify those expectations. But, he isn't bad enough to ditch. As you say, he's still in the top half of the QB's in the league and there are quite a few teams who'd love to have him, I'd say.

Personally, I think they need to get rid of Coughlin and get a good OC in the fold and everything else will fall into place. I think Jacobs will be the answer at RB, so they should be alright there. I would like to see them improve the WR's after Burress and Shockey. If Sinorice Moss and Steve Smith work out, they should be alright, but if it were me, I'd prefer to have someone besides Burress as my go-to guy. That may not be possible to work out though, so they may just have to stick with him.

The defense is a bigger concern. I expect Strahan to play this year, but he's not going to be around much longer and unless they get some replacements ready, his departure will be a big blow. Strahan presence is huge for Umenyiora. The secondary has to be strengthened as well.

Like most NFL teams, they have some good pieces and with the right additions and some good fortune, they're looking pretty good. Just goes to show how slim the margin is in the NFL these days...there are only a few teams who have no hope of making the playoffs in the NFC (Atlanta comes to mind).

You'd bench a guy who's averaged

55.1%, 3503 yds, 24 TD, 17.5 Int

in his first two full seasons as a starter.

Sure, he's had bouts of inconsistency, but it's not uncommon for young QB's, especially on teams like the Giants who always seem to have distractions surrounding them.

You'd bench a guy who's averaged

55.1%, 3503 yds, 24 TD, 17.5 Int

in his first two full seasons as a starter.

Sure, he's had bouts of inconsistency, but it's not uncommon for young QB's, especially on teams like the Giants who always seem to have distractions surrounding them.

QB rating 77.0 tied for 27th

Interceptions 18 4th highest

Completion % 57.7% tied for 34th

My biggest complaint is that the Giants would leave Manning in when he was completing more passes to the defense.

QB rating 77.0 tied for 27th

Interceptions 18 4th highest

Completion % 57.7% tied for 34th

My biggest complaint is that the Giants would leave Manning in when he was completing more passes to the defense.

There have certainly been times when I'd have probably sat him down during the game. But, I wouldn't bench him. I think the constant turmoil and bickering and egos in New York haven't really helped Eli as far as developing some consistency. Not to shift all the blame from him, because he most definitely deserves some, but I'm not a big fan of some of his supporting cast...they have talent, but questionable motivation or decision-making at times.

Personally, I think the Giants should have sent Coughlin packing and tried to make a fresh start this season. They need a better coach and a good OC.

If Eli's last name wasn't Manning, he'd be sitting the bench.

I disagree. While he has had some rough times...what young QB hasn't? Rex Grossman has struggled, Brett Favre struggled at times. Tons of young QB's struggle, that doesn't mean you have to bench them.

I have one question for those of you who think the Giants should bench Eli. Who should they bench him for? A young undrafted QB who's thrown absolutely zero passes in a regular season NFL game? (Lorenzen) Or a career back up who has proven to be nothing more than a good clipboard holder. (Hasslebeck) Eli is by far the best QB on the roster...

And don't forget he's been to the playoffs two years in a row, and his record in the past two years is 19-13.

• 1 month later...

After 3 weeks, I'd probably make a few changes...

Like picking New England to go 16-0 instead of 14-2...:lol:

I'd drop Cincy below Baltimore and Pittsburgh...

I'd move Tennessee ahead of Jacksonville...

I still like my NFC predictions...other than the Saints. Obviously I'd probably adjust some projected win totals, but all in all, I still feel pretty good about pre-season picks 3 weeks into the season.