Will Bowling Green matchup as well with T as they have with X?

theguru

BG had tough luck last year vs. X. They lost their QB and center right before the season started. Had to take a stud WR to play QB (please correct me if I am wrong). Still gave the Tigers a good game on one leg.

I could be wrong but the talent level may be down a tad this year since they are all playing college ball! Even so, I see BG a very worthy opponent that will have a game under their belt before visiting T. The huge T victory predictions are premature.

Good memory. BG put forth a valiant effort with a gerrymandered team. That said, a lot of talent left town last year for college. X played away at BG, and the Purples will be at Marshall Stadium. The Rocks don't stumble often at Harry Jansing Field. Trinity by 17.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason, the Purples have simply laid an egg in the finals the last two years. Turnovers killed Bowling Green against Lexington Catholic in 2005 ... I didn't see last year's game, but evidently it was decided early.

One theory has been advanced that Bowling Green is very good, sometimes dominant, against run-oriented teams but has trouble stopping multi-faceted offenses, which takes away their ability to play field position and control the ball.

Sounds as good as anything else to me.

That is absolutely the best explanation of the Purples that I have read thus far. Hopefully, that will change this year. Regardless of what happens in the Trinity game, I wish they played more teams with multi-faceted offenses so they would be better prepared if they make it to the finals against CC or Highlands. Even though Boyle County isn't as dominant as before, they could give BG fits because they include a good mixture of pass and run also.

The no challenging playoff games doesn't exactly hold water. For the most part, no not many challenging games. But in '05 they only beat Hoptown 3-0 in the region finals and in '06 Louisville Central gave them all they wanted in a 21-14 game. If they had a false sense of security by the time they got to the state finals, they were just writing off the close games as flukes instead of the very real challenges they were.

IMO, Bowling Green just ran into better teams. They're a great team, but there are other great teams as well. Trinity is one of those teams.

I understand what you are saying, but I think the Hoptown game was before the East Bullitt game when we were all making preparations for the game vs. LexCath in Louisville. I remember Warren Central was playing St. X at the same time and cell phones were chirping all night with updates from across town. I had forgotten about the close calls vs. Hoptown and Louisville Central though.

I really like the way we match up against BG because of the comments above. I notice that there still aren't a ton of teams that can attack from any angle, anywhere on the field. With that, it gives us the luxory of not "worrying" about a field position type of game. Other teams that play us, tend to worry about field position and getting us off the field, then they get sloppy, be it with penalties, posession of the ball, or even a ball control offense to speed the clock. Either way, it gets them out of their game, and allows us to enhance ours....

That said, game one we will have some lumps....but I think we win 31 - 13

But I'm not talking about how good the team that challenged Bowling Green was, just simply that they were challenging to Bowling Green. Both games, especially the Hoptown game, were games Bowling Green could have lost. I'm just trying to dispel the myth that Bowling Green walked over every team they faced until the finals.

Again, Bowling Green ran into two teams that were simply better than they were, which is why they lost to them (in the finals). We're saying the same thing really.....

I can deal with that.

In reference to BGHS's 3-0 win over Hoptown in 2005, you must understand that this rivalry has been an old WKC rivalry that started in 1927. Both teams really get up for each other. Back in 2002 (a 5-6 season for the Purples), Hoptown only beat BGHS 9-0. However, the Tiger coaching staff were the first to sing the praises of the Purples' effort that night...they knew going in that they were in for a tough fight that night. Not too many people outside the west know it, but BGHS/Hoptown is an old and storied rivalry!

Flashing back to this season, it is refreshing that the Purples are getting much more respect than they did for the first tilt with St X two years ago. Most people (including some very knowledgable folks) thought that the Purples were going to get beat as badly as 56-0. As a matter of fact, the only folks not predicting a blowout were Ox, Mrs PH, and me that I can remember. Last year, admittedly, the X Men shot themselves in the foot a few times, but the Purples showed their character in playing the Tigers tooth and nail despite the injury losses.

BGHS, hopefully, will have an injury free team this year. Playing Boyle Co in the first game will be a great test for the Purples D. To those saying that the Purples don't face a balanced attack very often: I think you are right. But sometimes it's very tough to make out a decent schedule at BGHS. Being saddled with a weak district doesn't help either (though it is now VERY interesting with Warren Central back in the district chase!). Maybe now the Purples will have the room on the schedule to schedule more teams like this and be better prepared for the rigors of the playoffs.

Soph DB Jay Beard's father and I were on the only other BGHS team to play Trinity (we lost on Homecoming Night 26-0 in 1974). We would love to see the Purples tie the series at one win each. Do I think it will happen? Likely not. Is there a chance of it happening? Absolutely. It can happen if the guys want it bad enough and they play at their peak best and they play very close to mistake free football. Plus I'm sure that the Rocks will not want to lose their home opener to the Purples. In any event, win or lose, it is a great opportunity for BGHS. Kudos to the folks not predicting a blowout...I agree with you all. It would not surprise me to see the game not decided until late in the fourth quarter. I think that the winner will have earned it.

If any of you Rock fans want to meet us at the game, you can spot me easily...I'll have my 1976 vintage BGHS gold jersey (#57) on that night, plus I will be in my wheelchair. Mrs PH and I will look forward to meeting as many as we can...and seeing a few that we already know! Best of luck to both squads in Week Two!:D :thumb:

In reference to BGHS's 3-0 win over Hoptown in 2005, you must understand that this rivalry has been an old WKC rivalry that started in 1927. Both teams really get up for each other. Back in 2002 (a 5-6 season for the Purples), Hoptown only beat BGHS 9-0. However, the Tiger coaching staff were the first to sing the praises of the Purples' effort that night...they knew going in that they were in for a tough fight that night. Not too many people outside the west know it, but BGHS/Hoptown is an old and storied rivalry!

Flashing back to this season, it is refreshing that the Purples are getting much more respect than they did for the first tilt with St X two years ago. Most people (including some very knowledgable folks) thought that the Purples were going to get beat as badly as 56-0. As a matter of fact, the only folks not predicting a blowout were Ox, Mrs PH, and me that I can remember. Last year, admittedly, the X Men shot themselves in the foot a few times, but the Purples showed their character in playing the Tigers tooth and nail despite the injury losses.

BGHS, hopefully, will have an injury free team this year. Playing Boyle Co in the first game will be a great test for the Purples D. To those saying that the Purples don't face a balanced attack very often: I think you are right. But sometimes it's very tough to make out a decent schedule at BGHS. Being saddled with a weak district doesn't help either (though it is now VERY interesting with Warren Central back in the district chase!). Maybe now the Purples will have the room on the schedule to schedule more teams like this and be better prepared for the rigors of the playoffs.

Soph DB Jay Beard's father and I were on the only other BGHS team to play Trinity (we lost on Homecoming Night 26-0 in 1974). We would love to see the Purples tie the series at one win each. Do I think it will happen? Likely not. Is there a chance of it happening? Absolutely. It can happen if the guys want it bad enough and they play at their peak best and they play very close to mistake free football. Plus I'm sure that the Rocks will not want to lose their home opener to the Purples. In any event, win or lose, it is a great opportunity for BGHS. Kudos to the folks not predicting a blowout...I agree with you all. It would not surprise me to see the game not decided until late in the fourth quarter. I think that the winner will have earned it.

If any of you Rock fans want to meet us at the game, you can spot me easily...I'll have my 1976 vintage BGHS gold jersey (#57) on that night, plus I will be in my wheelchair. Mrs PH and I will look forward to meeting as many as we can...and seeing a few that we already know! Best of luck to both squads in Week Two!:D :thumb:

PH I have read many of your comments in the past and once again you are on target. I love when the better programs in the state play each other it only makes KYHSF that much better. Good luck in your openning game see you in the Ville week two.

Flashing back to this season, it is refreshing that the Purples are getting much more respect than they did for the first tilt with St X two years ago. Most people (including some very knowledgable folks) thought that the Purples were going to get beat as badly as 56-0. As a matter of fact, the only folks not predicting a blowout were Ox, Mrs PH, and me that I can remember.
I think I was in that group, too. ;)

Thanx, westsider, for jogging my memory! You're right...I remember now. Hey, wasn't macdon part of our select group,too? I do remember that you and Mrs PH and I had a great time at the game!:D

I really appreciate the props, Biotech! See you at the game!:D

Believe me, people on this side of the state have a healthy respect for Bowling Green. I just wish they had made a better showing in Louisville the last two years to earn it from the rest of the state.

And yes, macdon was among us, too. I watched the game with him ... we were laughing at how amazed some posters would be when they saw the final score.

Believe me, westsider, the support from the far west was *greatly* appreciated! I know that the guys were disappointed not just for themselves, but for wky as well. Our guys will do their level best to try to get back there again for a third try at the Brass Ring!

I'm waiting for macdon's take on here!

Do you envision yourself coming back to the bowl soon? We will have Henry Clay next year and Warren Central will have Boyle Co. We will host Trinity at the Big El next season.:D

PH, the bolded part may be your greatest understatement of the year. BG, like Highlands, benefits greatly from playing teams like T and X in the first game each year, as BG and Highlands generally return a decent number of starters. Programs like X and T however, are generally senior laden teams that do not return a lot of starters. As a result, the first game of the year for T and X are not what I'd call well executed games by them. I saw the BG and X game last year and it was a very, very sloppy game by X. Lots of penalties by X last year (particularly drive killing holding calls, which are particularly devastating to a run oriented, ball control offense like X's) and I think a couple of turnovers. When X played Highlands two games later, they didn't have a turnover and I don't remember any penalties called against them other than a pass interference call when they were on defense. A partner of mine likes to say about the Cinti GCL teams (which are a lot like X and T from a returning starter standpoint) that the greatest improvement is made between the first and second game and I think that's applicable to X and T. I think its why those programs do start out pretty rough, but once they get some game experience, they come on gang busters. I think that factor will play a greater role in the outcome of this game than the fact that T has a more multi dimensional offense than X has had in the past. BG certainly has the athletes to defend a multi dimensional offense.

If Trinity has a game the week before to give their first time starters (like the qb) a chance to shake things out, then I think its T by 2 or 3 tds. If not, its a one touch down game win by T.

PH, the bolded part may be your greatest understatement of the year. BG, like Highlands, benefits greatly from playing teams like T and X in the first game each year, as BG and Highlands generally return a decent number of starters. Programs like X and T however, are generally senior laden teams that do not return a lot of starters. As a result, the first game of the year for T and X are not what I'd call well executed games by them. I saw the BG and X game last year and it was a very, very sloppy game by X. Lots of penalties by X last year (particularly drive killing holding calls, which are particularly devastating to a run oriented, ball control offense like X's) and I think a couple of turnovers. When X played Highlands two games later, they didn't have a turnover and I don't remember any penalties called against them other than a pass interference call when they were on defense. A partner of mine likes to say about the Cinti GCL teams (which are a lot like X and T from a returning starter standpoint) that the greatest improvement is made between the first and second game and I think that's applicable to X and T. I think its why those programs do start out pretty rough, but once they get some game experience, they come on gang busters. I think that factor will play a greater role in the outcome of this game than the fact that T has a more multi dimensional offense than X has had in the past. BG certainly has the athletes to defend a multi dimensional offense.

If Trinity has a game the week before to give their first time starters (like the qb) a chance to shake things out, then I think its T by 2 or 3 tds. If not, its a one touch down game win by T.

Leatherneck great point about T and X. MBA caused us great problems in the fisrt game for the past two seasons because they are a very good program which had already played one game and more importantly for the very reasons of which you just gave. This would be more true of the 05 season then last year. We got out coached in the forth quarter as our D did not make the ajustments needed to finish the game. Point is your analysis is right on. Good luck with the up coming season Go Birds.