Fastest Players?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highland's doesn't usually time player's but I saw one of the coach's time former player Mike Mitchell at 4.48 at Highlands scrimmage Friday. I'm not real sure why the Bird's don't time their players?

I don't know, but I guess it's for the same reason they don't keep track of tackles and sacks.

Highland's doesn't usually time player's but I saw one of the coach's time former player Mike Mitchell at 4.48 at Highlands scrimmage Friday. I'm not real sure why the Bird's don't time their players?

I saw the same timing, He didn't run like that in High School. Don't get me wrong, he was pretty fast in High School. But the other night was stupid fast.

...could it be that there is no "I" in team?????:banana:

Bingo. Their defense is pure assignment football and having the most tackles is pretty meaningless. D linemen's primary job is to consume offensive linemen to permit the lbers to make tackles. Even certain lber stunts are designed to free up other lbers. Thus the number of tackles a player makes is pretty irrelevant in their scheme.

As for timing 40's, other than to attract college interest (and Highlands gets plenty of college interest as it is, plus the college scouts do their own timing when it comes crunch time), its not real meaningful. Dale knows who his fastest kids are without needing to record 40 times.

• 2 weeks later...

How fast are these kids in full pads? Fully padded makes a difference. Some kids might run a 4.3 or 4.4, but padded a 4.7,4.8 or alot slower. IMO it depends on how strong the kid is. I heard there's a kid at Scott that runs a 4.4. Friday in the scrimmage, a HC receiver ran by him like he was standing still and ran away from the pack. So again, IMO the 4.3's, 4.4's are only a number.

40 times are one of the biggest jokes in football stats. Like one scout said you might have two to three guys on each pro football team that run a 4.4 yet there are over 7000 in college and 300,000 in HS around the country.

I agree with MH.. It's funny how EVERY high school has at least 1 kid with 4.3 or 4.4 speed yet the NFL combine only has 5 to 10 each year? But I know that every one of you will say that they were "timed" and it's legitimate. So I guess they all get slower in college?

40 times are one of the biggest jokes in football stats. Like one scout said you might have two to three guys on each pro football team that run a 4.4 yet there are over 7000 in college and 300,000 in HS around the country.

Boy Howdy!!! How true that statement is. Last year a Mercer faithful claimed that they had three kids that ran in the 4.3 range. He later recanted that.

I agree with MH.. It's funny how EVERY high school has at least 1 kid with 4.3 or 4.4 speed yet the NFL combine only has 5 to 10 each year? But I know that every one of you will say that they were "timed" and it's legitimate. So I guess they all get slower in college?
Welcome to BGP jude and be sure to visit the New Member forum....:thumb:

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=34

Read the "Everything a Rookie" thread and it will answer, any questions.

Cecil is QB... the others are running backs. Yes, Austin Collinsworth is the son of the former Bengal. I'd like to see him at a wide out this year and move to the backfield in the following years...but I AIN'T the coach! Right now, he's probably better on D. Great instincts, (duh!), and a great kid!

Austin Collinsworth has tremendous speed and quickness. But doesn't most of The Highlands Football team have that?:laugh: