How do you say Appalachian?

KY Thorobred

How do you pronounce Appalachian?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce Appalachian?

• "Appa-layshin"
    • "Appa-latchin"
    • Something Else and Explain

After seeing the "Pop" Debate...I thought about starting this one. I used to say it like you would see most news folks in Lexington. But after meeting my fiance, she quickly corrected me and everyone else that says it the "wrong" way. So how does the rest of Bluegrass Preps pronounce Appalachian?

A little bit of history:

While exploring the northern coast of Florida in 1528, the members of the Narváez expedition, including Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, found a Native American town which they transliterated as Apalachen [a.paˈla.tʃɛn]. This name and its pronunciation were applied to the Apalachee Indians, as well as a nearby body of water, now spelled Apalachee Bay, to the Apalachicola River, Apalachicola Bay, and the Apalachicola Indians, and to the city known as Apalachicola, Florida.

The word "Apalachen" was also applied to an inland mountain range, and through the course of time it became applied to the entire range and its spelling was changed.

Pronunciation

In northern U.S. and Canadian dialects, the mountains are pronounced the [æ.pəˈleɪ.tʃənz], or [æ.pəˈleɪ.ʃənz]. The third syllable is like "lay".

In Southern U.S. dialects, the mountains are pronounced the [æ.pəˈlæ.tʃənz], and the cultural region of the mountain South is pronounced [æ.pəˈlæ.tʃ(i)ə]. The third syllable is like the "la" in "latch"..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains#Pronunciation

A little bit of history:

While exploring the northern coast of Florida in 1528, the members of the Narváez expedition, including Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, found a Native American town which they transliterated as Apalachen [a.paˈla.tʃɛn]. This name and its pronunciation were applied to the Apalachee Indians, as well as a nearby body of water, now spelled Apalachee Bay, to the Apalachicola River, Apalachicola Bay, and the Apalachicola Indians, and to the city known as Apalachicola, Florida.

The word "Apalachen" was also applied to an inland mountain range, and through the course of time it became applied to the entire range and its spelling was changed.

Pronunciation

In northern U.S. and Canadian dialects, the mountains are pronounced the [æ.pəˈleɪ.tʃənz], or [æ.pəˈleɪ.ʃənz]. The third syllable is like "lay".

In Southern U.S. dialects, the mountains are pronounced the [æ.pəˈlæ.tʃənz], and the cultural region of the mountain South is pronounced [æ.pəˈlæ.tʃ(i)ə]. The third syllable is like the "la" in "latch"..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains#Pronunciation

That is interesting !