Reds Most Valuable Pitcher in the first half

Most Valuable Reds Pitcher so far this season is ....  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Most Valuable Reds Pitcher so far this season is ....

• Harang
    • Weathers

Here's my contention and I'm not comparing them as, who stats are best but the role they are in.

Harang is a starter, whose role is to give his team a chance to win, give them 6-7 innings and bring in relief. He's done that this year and last, with certainly some bumps.

Weathers is a closer, whose role is to not allowed inherited runners to score, keep his batter from reaching and preserve the win.

Ask yourself, who has done a better job, with their role....Harang, in my book.

On a team where the bullpen is decent and I agree with you. But with THIS bullpen, Weathers has been the ONLY consistent decent pitcher. At one point, did he not lead the majors in saves in which he had to come into the 8th inning?

Without Weathers, I shudder to think how horrible this bullpen would be.

I posted this thread because I thought it would be an interesting debate and it seems to be one.

On a team where the bullpen is decent and I agree with you. But with THIS bullpen, Weathers has been the ONLY consistent decent pitcher. At one point, did he not lead the majors in saves in which he had to come into the 8th inning?

I posted this thread because I thought it would be an interesting debate and it seems to be one.

He might have but how many teams use their closer in the 8th inning? He couldn't have had much competition in that department. Reds starters have a grand total of 28 wins this season, Harang has 10 of them. He's averaged almost 7 innings a start and his ERA and WHIP are right with Weathers in spite of the fact that Weathers has pitched 101 less innings. Sure, Weathers has 19 saves but without Harang he'd only have a total of 18 chances........

W/O Harang how horrible would the starting rotation be? Would Weathers get as many chances with the game on the line? Harang leads the NL in K's and innings pitched. I'd go w/ that.

I agree with you, on the debate discussion and either could be selected. Justifiable reasons for selecting either.

Good to finally have some positive discussion on Reds pitching.

W/O Harang how horrible would the starting rotation be? Would Weathers get as many chances with the game on the line? Harang leads the NL in K's and innings pitched. I'd go w/ that.
Even with Harang the rotation is horrible. Same as even with Weathers the bullpen is horrible.

I'd have to go with Weathers at this point in the season. Harang has been really good, but he has had a few starts where the offense has bailed him out where he wasn't his usual dominat self. His last two outings since his grandfather died have been just lights out.Weathers has been the only person that has kept the bullpen from being just a total disaster. Without Weathers I would hate to think what the Reds record would be. He leads the NL, if not the majors in saves that involve more than 3 outs. Stormy gets the nod over Harang because of that IMO.