High School Softball or AAU B-ball???

cshs81

I was surprised today when a parent of a player on a fastpitch team told me that one of their better plays did not come to the games this weekend because she was playing AAU basketball. I was told that she had leverage in that if the softball coach didn't let her do both that she would quit and only play b-ball.

What do you do as a coach?

Something a little different...

What about this? Your team plays at 11am Saturday morning and wins in the ALL A Tournament... 4 starters leave immediately because PROM is that night at 8.

Your team has to play again at 3:30 and they dont show up and you lose to a team that you would normally beat to go to the finals of the ALL A..

Opinions?

Something a little different...

What about this? Your team plays at 11am Saturday morning and wins in the ALL A Tournament... 4 starters leave immediately because PROM is that night at 8.

Your team has to play again at 3:30 and they dont show up and you lose to a team that you would normally beat to go to the finals of the ALL A..

Opinions?

IMO you're talking about two completely different situations. The prom issue is a toughie. If this is just a weekend invitational tourney, I'm somewhat OK with them leaving. IF its the state All A that's a tough pill to swallow. I still think the AAU b-ball scenario is worse and completely unacceptable.

I was surprised today when a parent of a player on a fastpitch team told me that one of their better plays did not come to the games this weekend because she was playing AAU basketball. I was told that she had leverage in that if the softball coach didn't let her do both that she would quit and only play b-ball.

What do you do as a coach?

Since the player was upfront with her priorites........the coach has two options.

1. Say no thanks, wish her well on her basketball career, and play the season with players who will be there full time.

2. Say okay I understand your priorites, lets sit down and look at the schedule and see how many games you will be here for and how many you will miss.

Since it is high school if I were the coach I would probably go with Option 2. Further discussion with the players might be required to explain that Player A most likely has a chance to earn a college scholly playing basketball but would like to play softball and help the team when possible.

Since the player was upfront with her priorites........the coach has two options.

1. Say no thanks, wish her well on her basketball career, and play the season with players who will be there full time.

2. Say okay I understand your priorites, lets sit down and look at the schedule and see how many games you will be here for and how many you will miss.

Since it is high school if I were the coach I would probably go with Option 2. Further discussion with the players might be required to explain that Player A most likely has a chance to earn a college scholly playing basketball but would like to play softball and help the team when possible.

So now Player C wants to work and miss a day or two to work and help support the family.

And Player D wants to participate in the school play and miss some games/practices here and there.

And Player E wants to.........you get the picture.

You let one and that little trickle coming out of the dam becauses a torrid stream very quickly.

So now Player C wants to work and miss a day or two to work and help support the family.

And Player D wants to participate in the school play and miss some games/practices here and there.

And Player E wants to.........you get the picture.

You let one and that little trickle coming out of the dam becauses a torrid stream very quickly.

If Player C comes to the coach prior to the season and says here are three days that I need to work at my families business then the coach could make the same kind of decision.

If Player D is going to college on an academic scholly to study Theater and has appreared in numerous productions and won't miss any practice time but needs to miss three days for the Senior Play then the coach could make the same kind of decision.

Now if the player wants to take off to go to Florida and lay on the beach that another matter and the coach should make a decision based on the facts.

To have a flat "NO" without investigating what is happening in students lives is IMO not what high school participation should be about.

As a coach, it would seem to be opening a huge can of worms to allow exceptions. You either allow them for all or you allow them for none. If you're selective about it, you then run into the perception that you have double standards based on one's ability to contribute to the team.

I lean towards the child making a choice and sticking with it.

As a coach, it would seem to be opening a huge can of worms to allow exceptions. You either allow them for all or you allow them for none. If you're selective about it, you then run into the perception that you have double standards based on one's ability to contribute to the team.

I lean towards the child making a choice and sticking with it.

And if that is your decision as a coach then that would be okay by me too.

Prom and the All A have clashed very often the past several years. I believe there is some flexibilty in scheduling the regional all a games. It has always worked out well for us at Raceland. I think the coach and the administrators work together as best they can to schedule their all a games.

This type of thing happens frequently in small towns, where you have a handful of athletes and they are needed in every sport. A good athlete is always welcome as long as you do not cause resentment or trouble on the team.

Many players have a primary sport and then secondary ones. If the coach wants them regardless of their preference then let them play. Most of the time the coaches work it out between them and it never is a problem. AAU is probably more difficult because they are not part of the School. Every coach wants to win and if that athlete helps you win then you have to take what you can get.

As long as they are honest and up front then the coach can work with the players schedule. The rest of the team also needs to understand that the player is not out at the local DQ while you are having practice but is at another sport.

Most of the team memebers want to win also and will not mind if the player contributes.

• 2 weeks later...

support the sport that is in season for the school. Although when you are a small school you sometimes have to share players. Just the facts of life. At a large school you should be able to field enough players to not have to make an exception.

When My daughter was in the 8th grade she played AAU basketball and a girl on her team missed a few tournaments so that she could play softball . It didn't affect her very much though . She became a college All American in basketball playing for Xavier University . Tara Boothe ,but we sure could have used her a little more on that basketball team .

Am I the only one that realizes the hard feelings that girls tend to have when that "back-up" player only gets to play when the two-sport star decides something else is more important. My experience has been that there is massive dissention on the team when things like that are happening.