2007 Warren Central

theguru

Ahhh, it's been a long time waiting for this one:

Central will clearly have room for improvement next year as they will face heavy losses due to graduation. Gone are the core of the last three years. Gone are names like Blake Ayers, Darrius Brooks, Jake Forrester, Aaron Rhodes, Keaton May, Nikko Beason, etc., etc., etc. In their place is a group that has seen some success in their JV career, but they will have growing pains with a tougher schedule that will see them play teams like Hopkinsville, Christian County, Henry Clay, Bardstown, and Bowling Green, among others. Leading the way will be Tevon Boards, a lightning quick running back that saw limited use as a sophomore, but had a breakout season last year, especially when filling in for an injured Brooks in the middle of the year. They also have some more talent at the halfback position in Tabarus Mitchell. If there is one thing Warren Central is never hurting for, it's running backs. The primary need this year will be at the quarterback position. Word has it that the choice will be between junior Quentin Smith, who has quarterbacked the JV for the last two years, and Troy Halcomb, who will be a sophomore next year. It would not be a surprise to see them go with Halcomb, with the precedent being set in Ayers to have a starter for three years. The passing game has been a key component of the Dragons under Cox (in great contrast with the historically run oriented teams of Warren Central), and will figure to be incredibly important to any success for the Dragons.

Defensively, the Dragons return their entire secondary, which is a good or a bad thing depending on who you ask. The secondary struggled mightily against the pass at times last year, but figure to only get better with experience. The Dragons typically have good success against the run (the Henderson County game notwithstanding), so their defense against the pass will be key, especially against Bowling Green and their dangerous combination of Trent Steelman and D.L. Moore. Which isn't to say that the Dragons may not struggle against the run. They are replacing their entire linebacking corps, and a few lineman as well. I don't know as much about those filling their slots, so that will be something to watch.

All in all, I think Central is going to take their lumps. I don't know that they can beat Bowling Green, especially by Week 5 when they meet for the first time. They were able to withstand the loss of a lot of seniors the year before due to the experience they did return. They've experienced a complete turnover in the last two years that leaves an inexperienced but talented group. If they can get it together, they have a chance to have a good season, but unfortunately it will be difficult to do much better than a district runner-up finish as they will have the trouble of going toe to toe with a top 5 team in Bowling Green. Most teams not named Highlands, CovCath, or Johnson Central would share the same fate.

Playing speedy teams is no new situation for Central, and they're usually pretty fast themselves. I think it's probably a game they'll be capable of winning, but I have never seen Bardstown play, and that leaves me at something of a disadvantage for that specific matchup.

Warren Central should be able to handle Bardstown...They'll have alot more depth in talent and have enough athleticism to offset the Tiger speed..With that said, if they don't come out ready to play, Bardstown is more than capable of pulling the upset...

Warren Central should be able to handle Bardstown...They'll have alot more depth in talent and have enough athleticism to offset the Tiger speed..With that said, if they don't come out ready to play, Bardstown is more than capable of pulling the upset...

just4fun, what makes you think bardstown isn't rich in talent, they have two returning all staters, as well as many other worthy candidates.

Alright, another rivalry brewing!:fight: First the Danville folks and now WC! Go Tigers!

just4fun, what makes you think bardstown isn't rich in talent, they have two returning all staters, as well as many other worthy candidates.

Numbers alone...I'm well aware of Bardstowns great athletes...They had the #1 defense in the state in 05 and Mayfield ran through it at will that year and Mayfield would have a very hard time playing with WC every year. Not saying they couldn't beat them, I just wouldn't bet on it. BTown had 3-4 real burners on that team, but, WC will have that too and they'll be bigger and deeper in the trenches and should wear them down in the later part of the game...They may not and I did say if WC didn't come out ready to play, they could get upset, but, I'd take WC.

Numbers alone...I'm well aware of Bardstowns great athletes...They had the #1 defense in the state in 05 and Mayfield ran through it at will that year and Mayfield would have a very hard time playing with WC every year. Not saying they couldn't beat them, I just wouldn't bet on it. BTown had 3-4 real burners on that team, but, WC will have that too and they'll be bigger and deeper in the trenches and should wear them down in the later part of the game...They may not and I did say if WC didn't come out ready to play, they could get upset, but, I'd take WC.

We shall see this fall.