NKY Spring Football (This thread is now for Highlands Spring Football)

theguru

I am going to post regional threads on this topic. I want to know what teams in NKY are going to have spring football practice and what that practice consists of? Then the fun part will be comparing how much schools do in the spring and how successful they are in the fall.

How about it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I tell you what Highlands does, then I'll have to kill ya.:D

Actually Highlands does what is allowed. I believe 10 practices and then an intersquad scrimmage. Or maybe it's 9 practices and a scrimmage. Whatever the KHSAA allows them to do they do.

Actually Highlands does what is allowed. I believe 10 practices and then an intersquad scrimmage. Or maybe it's 9 practices and a scrimmage. Whatever the KHSAA allows them to do they do.

I don't want to get too far off topic here but your comments remind me of asking someone how fast they were going after they just caused an accident and them answering my question with this question, "What is the speed limit?"

I don't want to get too far off topic here but your comments remind me of asking someone how fast they were going after they just caused an accident and them answering my question with this question, "What is the speed limit?"

Ru, now lets try and stay on topic here. :D

I have a couple of smart aleck responses I could provide, but I'll pass out of respect for our fearless leader.

Birds spring practices are very intense. Actually they start out slow, but quickly intensify. Lots of hitting. Dale's apparent philosophy is to hit hard in the spring. If someone gets injured, they thus have a lot of time to recuperate before the season begins. During two a days, while there is some hitting, its not as intense as it is in the spring. To those that may feel that more kids are likely to get injured with a lot of hitting in spring, from my observation that hasn't occurred.

I would say that doing well in spring football is critically important to a player's chances of being on the field come fall. Dale uses spring to see what the new kids can do. Based on what he sees in the spring, he uses the summer to decide what offense and defense he'll run in the fall. As many on here know, Dale changes his offense around based on the type of talent he has. He uses the spring to determine just what that type of talent is. Which is why spring football at Highlands is so important to determining the type of success we'll have in the fall.

If you were the type of coach that always ran the same offense year to year, I doubt spring ball would be as important. But at Highlands it real intense. There are usually two pretty much full bore intersquad scrimmages during the spring.

I have a couple of smart aleck responses I could provide, but I'll pass out of respect for our fearless leader.

Birds spring practices are very intense. Actually they start out slow, but quickly intensify. Lots of hitting. Dale's apparent philosophy is to hit hard in the spring. If someone gets injured, they thus have a lot of time to recuperate before the season begins. During two a days, while there is some hitting, its not as intense as it is in the spring. To those that may feel that more kids are likely to get injured with a lot of hitting in spring, from my observation that hasn't occurred.

I would say that doing well in spring football is critically important to a player's chances of being on the field come fall. Dale uses spring to see what the new kids can do. Based on what he sees in the spring, he uses the summer to decide what offense and defense he'll run in the fall. As many on here know, Dale changes his offense around based on the type of talent he has. He uses the spring to determine just what that type of talent is. Which is why spring football at Highlands is so important to determining the type of success we'll have in the fall.

If you were the type of coach that always ran the same offense year to year, I doubt spring ball would be as important. But at Highlands it real intense. There are usually two pretty much full bore intersquad scrimmages during the spring.

Which is also another reason why HHS' baseball program leaves a lot to be desired. When the football coach & AD put that much emphasis on the offseason (whether it be right or wrong), other sports will suffer...tremendously.

Which is also another reason why HHS' baseball program leaves a lot to be desired. When the football coach & AD put that much emphasis on the offseason (whether it be right or wrong), other sports will suffer...tremendously.

Wrong. Guess again. Those folks that blame Highlands football for the baseball problems remind me of the public schools wanting to separate the private schools: they want to blame something else for their failures. I won't go into the reasons why our baseball program declined, but its not because of spring football.

But the baseball program's problems at Highlands have been identified and are being resolved. By the admission of quite a few people (even some CovCath fans!) our baseball team improved considerably last year, and trust me, spring football was as intense last year as ever before. I expect our baseball team to be even better this year and continue to dramatically improve, and it won't be because Dale eases up or changes his spring ball philosophy. I will acknowledge that the two programs are working better to coordinate practices in the spring and that has helped. Simple things like that to improve the baseball program are happening. Coach Johnson and his assistant coaches are to be commended for what they are doing. I think the future is very bright for the baseball program at Highlands.

Wrong. Guess again. Those folks that blame Highlands football for the baseball problems remind me of the public schools wanting to separate the private schools: they want to blame something else for their failures. I won't go into the reasons why our baseball program declined, but its not because of spring football.

But the baseball program's problems at Highlands have been identified and are being resolved. By the admission of quite a few people (even some CovCath fans!) our baseball team improved considerably last year, and trust me, spring football was as intense last year as ever before. I expect our baseball team to be even better this year and continue to dramatically improve, and it won't be because Dale eases up or changes his spring ball philosophy. I will acknowledge that the two programs are working better to coordinate practices in the spring and that has helped. Simple things like that to improve the baseball program are happening. Coach Johnson and his assistant coaches are to be commended for what they are doing. I think the future is very bright for the baseball program at Highlands.

Are kids expected to participate in both? Or is this a facilities issue as to why practices have to be coordinated.

I ask because, as you pointed out in the previous post, spring ball is "critically important to a player's chances of being on the field come fall". I think we would all struggle to find a high school kid that would choose baseball (maybe he's a "role" player but could contribute to the baseball team) choose baseball over spring ball knowing that not participating would cost him playing time in the fall.

If the kids are expected to participate in both, baseball will continue to struggle. IMO.

Are kids expected to participate in both? Or is this a facilities issue as to why practices have to be coordinated.

I ask because, as you pointed out in the previous post, spring ball is "critically important to a player's chances of being on the field come fall". I think we would all struggle to find a high school kid that would choose baseball (maybe he's a "role" player but could contribute to the baseball team) choose baseball over spring ball knowing that not participating would cost him playing time in the fall.

If the kids are expected to participate in both, baseball will continue to struggle. IMO.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I totally agree.......