Curtis Higgins takes Fern Creek job

I'll take a good job out in the state anytime over a middle of the road program in Louisville. He will have very little financial assistance, help with getting staff into the building, and will play most of his games in stadiums that are 1/3 full. The public schools in Jeff. Co. are the land of the haves and have nots. The last time time I check there are only two maybe three haves and Fern Creek wasn't one of them.

Best of luck to Coach Higgins. I hope that grass is as green as it appears to be!!:thumb:

I think you'll see that change rather quickly. In case you hadn't noticed the Fern Creek community is the fastest growing area of the county these days the problem is the people living ther send their kids to Catholic School! or Male, Manual or Ballard ,several members of Ballard's softball team live in Glenmary.

That being said the school is busting at the seems enrollment wise. The enrollment is now greater than at any other time post-busing. Don't get me wrong he will have to rally for community and parental support but if he is at all successful it will come easily.

FC has the things in motion to get where it needs to be to become the next "True Traditional High School" it is a 10-15yr plan we are in year 9 or so of. The Alumni association has given the school over 1/2 a mil in the last few years and continues to grow. They financed a major overhaul in the facilities you will see take place over the summer on the baseball and softball fields. FC also has a lot of firsts where its standing out from other High Schools and has received a lot of National Recognition mainly in academics. Part of the plan is to get ALL AREAS up to speed but academics was obviously the first measure of business, it is a school afterall.

Two things can launch Fern Creek having a resides area that includes ONLY Fern Creek which I don't see happening although Ballard has it that way and still somehow gathers athletes countywide or becoming at "True Traditional" with a feeder system. The pre-busing alumni are going to make sure one of the two happens. $$$$$ Talks and the school will be "returned to the community" as they put it in one form or another. It would surprise you I think to know who some of the Alumni involved in this movement are . FC is the oldest HS in the county the list of Alums is long and prestigious.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll see that change rather quickly. In case you hadn't noticed the Fern Creek community is the fastest growing area of the county these days the problem is the people living ther send their kids to Catholic School! or Male, Manual or Ballard ,several members of Ballard's softball team live in Glenmary.

That being said the school is busting at the seems enrollment wise. The enrollment is now greater than at any other time post-busing. Don't get me wrong he will have to rally for community and parental support but if he is at all successful it will come easily.

FC has the things in motion to get where it needs to be to become the next "True Traditional High School" it is a 10-15yr plan we are in year 9 or so of. The Alumni association has given the school over 1/2 a mil in the last few years and continues to grow. They financed a major overhaul in the facilities you will see take place over the summer on the baseball and softball fields. FC also has a lot of firsts where its standing out from other High Schools and has received a lot of National Recognition mainly in academics. Part of the plan is to get ALL AREAS up to speed but academics was obviously the first measure of business, it is a school afterall.

Two things can launch Fern Creek having a resides area that includes ONLY Fern Creek which I don't see happening although Ballard has it that way and still somehow gathers athletes countywide or becoming at "True Traditional" with a feeder system. The pre-busing alumni are going to make sure one of the two happens. $$$$$ Talks and the school will be "returned to the community" as they put it in one form or another. It would surprise you I think to know who some of the Alumni involved in this movement are . FC is the oldest HS in the county the list of Alums is long and prestigious.

I know of 2 girls from the FC area at Ballard but from Glenmary I do not know.

So, all that said...

What's the situation that Coach Higgins faces coming in? What are the challenges?

As far as Fern Creek support of football, I know it's great when Trinity plays them. I assume it's great for all games.

The first obstacle he has to overcome is winning the kids over. You won't find many men who are a better person than Bob Bronger to say the players loved him would be an understatment.

The second obstacle will be in the Athletic administration, he needs to be free to take charge of his ENTIRE program, boosters, parental support etc. There are some egos over there that don't want anyone doing anything unless they are ultimately in charge of it.

Third his team has no size, he has only one lineman returning over 250lbs and he is not a player that has gone both ways (although he should). He needs to get a handle on Hynes, he is not a bad kid don't get me wrong, lets just say he would have faired better in the "enviroment" at Trinity and he needs a coach that is going to instill that kind of focus in him at FC too much else goes on at FC. There is not a deep team spirit and commradary amongest players and I think certain kids, Hynes in particular who have come up in that enviroment suffer a little culture shock and lose focus, when that attitude is not demanded.

Fourth I think he needs to make Lawton his primary RB, which he will most likely feel some resistance to, he has all it takes to be a great RB, speed, agility, athleticism. He is a fair receiver but I think his talents could be far better exploted at RB.

Fifth facilities and equipment are fair but not what he is used to at a rural school where everyone in town comes to the football games.

He needs to get a handle on Hynes, he is not a bad kid don't get me wrong, lets just say he would have faired better in the "enviroment" at Trinity and he needs a coach that is going to instill that kind of focus in him at FC too much else goes on at FC.

Maybe Hynes should transfer to Trinity, sit out his sophmore year, lift weights, get stronger, learn the system and play as a junior and senior. Sounds like a good move for the kid and the Rocks. He would be a "Mr. Football" canidate in Trinity's system. JMO.

Maybe Hynes should transfer to Trinity, sit out his sophmore year, lift weights, get stronger, learn the system and play as a junior and senior. Sounds like a good move for the kid and the Rocks. He would be a "Mr. Football" canidate in Trinity's system. JMO.

Turn around so the congregation can hear you the choir already knows that tune! I am a FC fan but it doesn't take much to figure out Trinity would be the golden highway for him. Don't get me wrong we are tickled as can be to have him! but you talk about fitting into a system!

but you talk about fitting into a system!

If you are refering to the offense then you can buy it for 60.00-200.00. It justr depends on if you want the DVDs or not. While it is not the complete system or some of the changes the base of the offense can be purchased. Very detailed and includes installation process. I believe the DVDs have cutups but I am not 100% sure on that.

Is it that easy to get students to tansfer to Trinty or ST.X?:irked: Would he or his family have to pay like regular students? Don't sound fair to have you guys trying to get birds singing in this kids ear. If the kid is good as some tend to think, Higgins system will be very good for him. He will spread the field and have him throwing the ball all over the field.

Is it that easy to get students to tansfer to Trinty or ST.X?:irked: Would he or his family have to pay like regular students? Don't sound fair to have you guys trying to get birds singing in this kids ear. If the kid is good as some tend to think, Higgins system will be very good for him. He will spread the field and have him throwing the ball all over the field.

TigerTalker this kids family are Trinity supporters, his father is an alum, and he took the entrance exam and was originally enrolled at Trinity for this school year THEN he changed his mind. His parents likely paid money they didn't get back, its not FREE to enroll and yes his family would have paid tuition just like everyone else.

I am not one of those public supporters that spreads rumors and lies about Catholic schools cheating and giving full rides etc. I have too many friends involved in their programs and I KNOW first hand it doesn't happen and quite honestly I find it offensive when anyone alludes that it does. I am not saying it doesn't happen anywhere, maybe the smaller privates out in the state, but it doesn't happen at St X and Trinity. They have aide ANY STUDENT can apply for based on need, football players and other athletes are given nothing special in that regard. A large percentage of the students at both schools receive some form of need based aide regardless of whether or not they are athletes.

Wow.:rolleyes:

I'll take a good job out in the state anytime over a middle of the road program in Louisville. He will have very little financial assistance, help with getting staff into the building, and will play most of his games in stadiums that are 1/3 full. The public schools in Jeff. Co. are the land of the haves and have nots. The last time time I check there are only two maybe three haves and Fern Creek wasn't one of them.

Best of luck to Coach Higgins. I hope that grass is as green as it appears to be!!:thumb:

Hey Charlie,

Fern Creek could be great with some stability and some better hires over the last few years. Russ Gibson had them in at 3-4 every year behind X-T-H!!!!

Could be a very good job