The Headband Theory...

Well, if we throw Sprewell in (retired player), then we can throw Rodman in on the non-headband side to cancel him out.

I like you a lot hangman, but nobody cancells Spree out. :lol: I mean not even Rodman can cancel Spree out as bad as it sounds. However, Rodman has been known to wear the band every once in a while.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't found any teams that have mandatory headbands... I remember the Bulls don't allow them, a recollection of Big Ben having to remove his this season.

As far as Rodman/Spree... I still think they cancel out... Choking coaches, kicking cameramen... It's all the same in the big picture. :lol:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/marty_burns/news/2001/01/10/burns_insider/

Like mushrooms on a vacant lot, headbands are popping up everywhere. Rasheed Wallace, Baron Davis, Larry Hughes, Brian Grant and Jason Williams all have sported terrycloth at times this season.

Terry Davis even wore one once on the bench while dressed in a suit.

Pacers center Sam Perkins, who tried to wear a do-rag this season before the league prohibited it, wears a double-wide version. Blazers forward Scottie Pippen sports a thick black one that perfectly matches his 'fro. Then there's Nuggets guard Nick Van Exel, who likes to wear his tilted to one side like a "cockeyed halo," in the words of one Denver columnist. What in the name of Slick Watts is going on here?

Cavaliers forward Chris Gatling, a self-proclaimed "pioneer" of the headband look, has a good excuse. As a teenager he suffered a serious head injury when he fell off a truck. He's been wearing a headband ever since as a reminder that he's lucky to be alive.

Bulls coach Tim Floyd recently criticized players who wear headbands as "soft." God knows the Bulls already look bush league enough as it is.

Ron Artest, who had been sporting a headband in support of struggling rookie Jamal Crawford (a Seattle native who grew up idolizing Watts), declared, "I'm not soft. Nobody calls me soft. For anyone who calls me soft, I'll rearrange how they think in a hurry."

Tell Rasheed Wallace and the rest of the guys to be true fashion forwards and ditch the headband look. If not for me, do it for Versace -- either Gianni or Dick.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070108/SPORTS0102/701080396/1127

Headbands round into style

Two decades ago, they drew jeers; now players wear them for fashion more than utility.

Cliff Robinson first started wearing a headband during basketball games nearly two decades ago, before it was a fashion statement. Robinson, now a 40-year-old power forward with the Nets, simply wanted to keep the sweat out of his eyes.

Most people seem to remember the former NBA star Wilt Chamberlain as one of the first players to wear a headband. But the man who made a fashion statement out of it -- albeit an unintentional one -- was Donald Earl Watts, better known as Slick.

Section 3. Uniform.

(a) During any NBA game or practice, including warm-up periods and going to and from the locker room to the playing floor, a player shall wear only the Uniform as supplied by his Team. For purposes of the preceding sentence only, “Uniform” means all clothing and other items (such as kneepads, wristbands and headbands, but not including Sneakers) worn by a player during an NBA game or practice. “Sneakers” means athletic shoes of the type worn by players while playing an NBA game.

(b) Other than as may be incorporated into his Uniform and the manufacturer’s identification incorporated into his Sneakers, a player may not, during any NBA game, display any commercial, promotional, or charitable name, mark, logo or other identification, including but not limited to on his body, on his hair, or otherwise.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXXVII.php

Here are some of my favorites:

Ricky Davis - who can forget his antics it attempt to get his first Triple Double?

Eddie Griffin - His DVD incident tops them all, but this guy has a rap sheet that practically stretches forever.

Stephen Jackson - No matter what he does from this point forward, we will always remember his fists flying at the Palace.

'Melo - He does do some good things, but he's a thug at the core. Did anyone see how he acted when he got Punk'd?

I think there's more evidence in support of the theory than against it.

Is this to say the Bulls players are less likely to get in trouble than the rest of the league b/c they are not allowed to wear headbands?

Scott Skiles saw this coming. Actually, Ben Wallace would have been a positive headband-wearer. Too bad he can't anymore.

^^ He should still count for the good headband side.

Good headband:

Smush Parker

Darius Miles

Paul Pierce

So far Gerald Green but UKPAT thinks its only a matter of time :D

Not so fast. According to Wikipedia -

During the 2004-2005 season, Miles made headlines after a confrontation with then-coach Maurice Cheeks in which he reportedly insulted him with racial slurs and then remarked how he didn't care if the team were to lose its next 20 games.

And this is a good read:

http://www.kgw.com/sports/stories/kgw_060304_sports_miles_drug_bust.22606fdaa.html