Elliott Co. Basketball Team

I don't know how Elliott Co. doe's it. According to most opinion's they have

small, average, mediocre player's. They don't play no defense at all. Their coach is absolute bottom tier. You hardly ever see any of their player's or the team in any ranking's at all. When you do the person or person's who did the poll didn't know what they were doing, and their poll wasn't worth considering.

They are almost non-existent in the local paper's and new's venues. Yet they start five sophomore's(probably would be "one" of the youngest in state) including three who played on last year's regional-runner up team. They have an 19-5 record. Average margin of victory is 16.5ppg. All five loss's combined total twenty(1,3,3,6,7). How you guy's(Elliott) compete with all those minus's I don't know. Whatever the secret is, don't tell anyone and keep up the good work!:thumb:

Mrs. Don't take this wrong, but with only a meer 6 posts, I don't believe that you are truly informed with how awestruck many people are with this Elliot County team.

I myself, have STARTED many threads on how impressive this team is.

Many BGP posters have made many statements about the talent Rose Hill will have next year and for the next few years and they are calling on it to be a Big Blue Region for the next 4 years, but I contend that it will be Elliot's for the next 3 years GUARANTEED.

Elliot is "The Team" to beat after this season (if not this year) so where you get that they are average, mediocre players who don't play defense is beyond me. :confused: Their coach has only been "Class" everytime I have seen him coach and if you view Cubster's (16th region guru) weekly poll then you will see they have ALWAYS been in the top 3 this season.

Lastly, the reason why they are not covered in many local newspapers is because not many newspapers are being sold in Sandy Hook. This is economics, Ask any accomplished editor.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how Elliott Co. doe's it. Their coach is absolute bottom tier. :thumb:
I'm sure that their coach will be thrilled to hear that he has been refered to as "absolute bottom tier" - lol.

I'm sure that he is doing a great job. I've long been a believer that teams are a reflection of their coach. Obviously, he has found the magic which works for them.

This Elliot County team are overachievers who obviously provide a lot of excitement for their fans, who look forward to having them represent them for the next couple of years.

I played for Rick at Elliott County and have been to allot of games since I have been out of high school. I do not think that Rick is bottom tier at all. I have the greatest respect for him. He is a coach that always puts his kids first and is out for their best interest. For those that dont think he is a good coach should go and watch them practice everyday and see how well they are prepared and in shape compared to other schools.

As for how they win. Well I strongly feel that he is part of that as well as the Kids have played together for so long that they are very comfortable together on the court and they play with such big hearts it is heart to beat them. They want to get to every lose ball and make every hustle play before the other team does. I think the only bad thing you can say about them defensively is they need help inside due to a lack of size. Other than the Knipp kid there is not one Kid on the Team that is even six feet tall even though the programs say they are. It was mentioned before that all 5 players are Like guards and can all shoot pass and run the floor. It doesnt get any more fun to watch than this team. As long as they are shooting the ball well they are hard to beat.

I am glad to see Elloitt doing well and It makes me proud to have played there. Keep up the Good work Elliott County and the coaching staff.

The Lions are a very good team with a very bright future. But, I would not guarantee that they will rule the region for the next three years. I think that Rose Hill will have a lot of talent to contend with as well. Based on all I have seen the last couple of years and this year, it would appear that Rose Hill and Elliot County will be contending for the All A and 16th Region titles. Not taking anything away from Elliot at all, but Rose Hill has some very good young players as well.

I think that Rose Hill will be the best team in the region by far talent wise but I do not feel like they can compete with the speed of the 16th. In a world where all teams have a 6'8 and a D-1 point guard, they will be a very competitive team.

I'm sure that their coach will be thrilled to hear that he has been refered to as "absolute bottom tier" - lol.

I'm sure that he is doing a great job. I've long been a believer that teams are a reflection of their coach. Obviously, he has found the magic which works for them.

This Elliot County team are overachievers who obviously provide a lot of excitement for their fans, who look forward to having them represent them for the next couple of years.

I am Elliott Co. 100%. If you are going to quote me get it right!! :mad: I said according to most opinion's(I never said mine) their coach is bottom tier!! Every thing I put in the post was based on what I have heard(FROM OTHER PEOPLE) and read(FROM OTHER PEOPLE)

The point of this whole post is that many of the posters on here from the Elliott County camp (Not all) feel as though their team is being slighted in some way. I don't feel that is true, as it doesn't matter what the local media, fans, and others think. The true level of respect is paid by opposing coaches and players and I feel Elliott has had their respect for sometime. As far as the battle that is sure to ensue between Elliott County and Rose Hill over the next few years, I'll take the boys from The Hill as I feel they have a true physical presence in Euton, where Elliott lacks that. In the Lions game against Russell their physical weakness was exposed as VanHoose used his strength, not finesse to take it to Elliott's weaker guards. Now Elliott fans I'm just one man with one opinion don't be too offended.

Vanhoose was held to 15 points, which is about 6 or 7 under his average. He also made 0 three points field goals. He also had 3 fast break lay ups, so he actually only got 9 points while being matched up with Elliott Counties "weak guards."

Vanhoose was held to 15 points, which is about 6 or 7 under his average. He also made 0 three points field goals. He also had 3 fast break lay ups, so he actually only got 9 points while being matched up with Elliott Counties "weak guards."

It is not the scoring that VanHoose damaged Elliott with as much as him passing out of post position on a guard. Countless times he was able to find open men on backdoor cuts, medium range jumpers, etc.. The truth is the Elliott coaching staff never made the proper adjustments.

It is not the scoring that VanHoose damaged Elliott with as much as him passing out of post position on a guard. Countless times he was able to find open men on backdoor cuts, medium range jumpers, etc.. The truth is the Elliott coaching staff never made the proper adjustments.

Rarely did Vanhoose post up and recieve the ball. He did score 2 points out of the post but other than that him posting, which again he did not do much of, had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Now am I say that Vanhoose didnt make a difference in the game? No. His presence alone will make a difference in the game. But he made a difference on the perimeter, not the post.

I myself would have to say that the EC coaches don't make adjustments during the game . In fact they don't keep stats , they simply watch the game. Don't get me wrong about the coaching staff , but why are they there, if the kids are going to Play ball them selves. A part of coaching is letting your players know what the other players are doing and to adjust.

RA09, I don't believe that Vanhoose was "held" to a low output as much as he had a poor shooting night (not the Elliott defense), as did many Elliott shooters had poor shooting nights also. To imply that Vanhoose was shut down is totally incorrect. Besides having to sit 1-2 minutes to change jerseys and 1-2 minutes fouling out at the end of the game, that is 4 minutes less playing time than he is use too. So there could easily be your 5.7 pts below his average you are referring too and not the Elliott defense.

The difference in the game was Elliott's off shooting night! 11% 3ptfg

33% overall. (not the Russell defense) but Elliott had plenty of open look's that didn't go down. I talked to some of the player's who told me that during monday's practice they did drill's that hadn't been done in four or five months. They all also said they were very sore in the groin and shoulders.

I believe that would cause a body to miss a few shot's. I talked to Ferguson's dad and he said that ferg was complaining about being very sore in the shoulder's and a little in the thighs. I wonder what Mays was thinking??

RA09, I don't believe that Vanhoose was "held" to a low output as much as he had a poor shooting night (not the Elliott defense), as did many Elliott shooters had poor shooting nights also. To imply that Vanhoose was shut down is totally incorrect. Besides having to sit 1-2 minutes to change jerseys and 1-2 minutes fouling out at the end of the game, that is 4 minutes less playing time than he is use too. So there could easily be your 5.7 pts below his average you are referring too and not the Elliott defense.

Why RA09 you know it wasn't the Elliott defense! Heaven's no!! But now I am certain it was Russell's defense that held the Elliott player's down. Least way's according to the Russell poster's on the Elliott, Russell thread it was.:thumb: