UK Recruit Mike Williams Update!

SouthernSportsFan

A quick update on UK signee Mike Williams (pictured below). There has been some scuttlebutt that Mike was no longer playing for his high school team. I spoke with his coach Mark Vincent today who confirmed this was true and had this to say:

"Mike Williams has not been dismissed from the Bishop Ireton basketball team. I have 100% confidence in Mike Williams as a person and he is an outstanding young man in all regards. However he is human and thus occasionally we have to deal with issues that arise. I cannot say enough how much faith I have in Mike and what a solid person he is. However he is not currently playing with the basketball team. This is an internal issue with the team right now and thus I cannot comment on the specifics. He is still however a member of the basketball team and I support him completely."

The Coach could not say whether Williams will play again for the team this season.

MikeWilliams.jpeg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't really get kicked off the team. He left the team for "undisclosed internal reasons."

I think its odd that most Cat fans on this site want to know every detail about every student/athlete to enroll at any of their rivals school. For instance the multi-page thread about JJ Redick's DUI. Now we can just dismiss a kid leaving his team mid-season as no big deal, "undisclosed internal reasons". Does anyone have a clue what that means?

He's 7'0'' 270 pounds. That's a big boy. I just read where he trimmed down from 310. :eek:

From the Lexington Herald Leader on Sept. 29th:

"Williams' potential drew the interest of college recruiters, said Vincent, adding, "His work ethic is second to none."

Williams brings the promise of intangibles. He has a 3.2 grade-point average, Vincent said. As a native of England who only began taking basketball seriously when he came to this country three years ago, he is not the product of a system that led officials from the NCAA, NBA, AAU and shoe companies to meet earlier this week to try to devise better development of youth basketball.

"He'll represent the program in a very classy way," said Vincent, who grew up in Muhlenberg County. "He's a guy who will work. You don't have to worry about his grades or about him getting in trouble. He'll be somebody like (UK senior) Bobby Perry."

Dave Telep of the Scout.com service advised thinking of Williams long-term.

"He's a tremendous student and high-character kid," Telep said. "When you've got four or five scholarships you need to fill, size is a premium this time of year. ... You have to project him over his career. I don't think Kentucky brought him in to be a starter."

"