On a limb.....Louisville football 2007....

RockPride

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my take on the topic:

2004 was Louisville's greatest offensive team, and I think this past year was our greatest defensive team.

This year, Louisville should be better than 2004 offensively. There's just a CRAZY number of weapons, and the O-line is going to be solid in my estimation. In 2004, we had a solid running back by committtee, with Shelton, Gates and Bush. As much as I loved watching those guys rush the ball, this group next year will be better. It's just crazy to look at the depth and versatility Louisville has for running the ball with Anthony Allen and Brock Bolen as power backs and George Stripling for speed (look for Spillman to get a few more carries, too, along with catches out of the backfield.) The WR corps in 2004 consisted of Russell, Clark, Tinch and Jones. That's a SOLID group, but I don't see future or current NFL 1-2 guys in there. Harry Douglas and Mario Urrutia are 1-2 guys. Gary Barnidge is a heck of a pass catching TE, and Kragthorpe loves to get it to the TE. Pat Carter had his development hurt by injuries, but he was smooth on that throw to Allen in the Orange Bowl. If we finally get to see Brohm healthy for an entire season, I think this will be the most efficient and talented group ever to play for the University of Louisville.

Defensively, we lost some key guys. But almost everyone of them had a young star ready to step into their place. Our D-line is DEEP and talented, Whitehead, Heyman, Grady, Cox, Williams, Walker, Henderson, Mitchell, that's a heck of a two-deep. Louisville holds over a great LB in Malik Jackson (Mel Kiper called him the second best OLB prospect for 2008, I believe) and another one that I think will surprise people in Lamar Myles, who quitely took a lot of Nate Harris snaps from him with his play. We all know that Willie Williams, no matter his history, can ball, and he's going to step right in and own that other LB spot. The secondary returns two proven players in Rod Council and Latarrius Thomas, and a star that RSed out of high school with injury in Brandon Heath. Turrenne fills that last hole, in both the secondary and the defense.

If everything comes together, I think this is Louisville's best team. The schedule isn't as friendly as last year, but the preseason recognition coming off a BCS bowl victory, combined with the talent coming in and coming back, this might be the year. You never know.

The JUCO signings have certainly changed the base expectations for this season. If Kragthorpe game coaches like he recruits, he's special. I can't wait to see what he can do recruiting kids for a full year...

Give us a prediction on their game with UK at Commonwealth. The Cats have most of their team back next year, plus some good recruits and redshirts. They also finished the 2006 season in a strong fashion. IMO I think it will be a close contest, and UK very well could win. However, I admit I'm no expert on football....my high school didn't even have a team.

Just a feeling, and a hope, on my part.:thumb:

I think that both will come out firing, UK might get a score early as Louisville will be playing their first real team, but I do think that UL's defense will adjust to UK better in that they'll have (I believe) Utah and their spread offense behind them....This U of L defense should stay in Woodson's face for much of the day, and for UK to have any success they will have to establish the run, which I think UL is setup best to defend. Offensively this is Louisville's best team by far....with UK's very poorly rated defense learning a whole new system, I think that they'll be hard pressed to be ready for the Cards early...let's not forget how many of the fans who think the Cats will roll...I think disappointment prevails.

...let's not forget how many of the fans who think the Cats will roll...
If I had to guess, I would honestly think around 18% or less "think the Cats will roll" in this game. Not nearly as many as many UL apologists will overhype it as (Yes, that number is meant in jest, but also in seriousness).

I believe the majority feel UK has a solid chance and better than the past few years, but that UL will most likely prevail going away.

^ In a NOT MEAN way...I do not think that UK's chances are SOLID...I would say SHAKY at the very best...last year there was no chance, and people still were saying they would win...I tried to pull up those old posts, but it wouldn't go back that far for me.

Appearently not many people do. :eek:

I care about UofL basketball, but football is always #1 for me. (Well, technically it's #2. Foosball is always going to be my favorite. As far as I know, I'm the grand foosball champion at the University of Louisville. Freshman year orientation I beat the last champion of the intermural foosball team [now defunct as far as I know], and haven't ever been beaten by a schoolmate.)

Possibly, but I think they take a step back.

West Virginia is going to be a tough on the road.

South Florida returns a lot, and UL is in Tampa.

Cincinnati will provide some opposition in Cincy.

Pitt will still be average.

Rutgers takes a step back, they lose their entire receiving core plus 7-8 starters on defense including their entire linebacking core.

Syracuse, UConn.

They should handle NCST, UTAH and MSU.

Hopefully, UK will rise to the occasion and make it a game.

The schedule is tougher.

Plus, I think that many UL fans forget what a game planner that Petrino was and what a fantastic offensive mind he was. Kragthorpe's teams put up good numbers, but that was in the CUSA. I think his system will need some time to be implemented. More than 1 loss and UL is in the Texas Bowl.

They may be better offensively, but I think ther defense takes a step back, plus the schedule is a little more tougher.

I could see them making another serious run if Petrino were still in the Ville but hard to believe they can match last seasons' success with a new coach at the helm. They have the tools but I just don't see it happening. I see WVU winning the BEast.

Judging from the pic of Commonwealth Stadium I could see you thinking U of L will take a step back. I disagree. I don't think they take a step back, they may not go forward either. I hope they don't spin their wheels. I still think they are going to have a solid season and the players have a lot to work for and look forward to. Card fans are excited. I can't wait!

If I had to guess, I would honestly think around 18% or less "think the Cats will roll" in this game. Not nearly as many as many UL apologists will overhype it as (Yes, that number is meant in jest, but also in seriousness).

I believe the majority feel UK has a solid chance and better than the past few years, but that UL will most likely prevail going away.

From the Murray Ledger....

Murray State football to begin 2007 at Louisville

By MSU Media Relations & The Associated Press

The Murray State football team will open its 2007 season at in-state rival Louisville.

The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 1, but both institutions have tentatively agreed to move the contest to Thursday, Aug. 30 at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. The meeting will be the first between the two programs since 1990.

Buggatti, maybe you, me and LTW should get some tickets and root on MSU, in this big game for Murray State....