Are the WNBA referees about to kill the Clark…Golden Goose.

Wow, I am not one to complain about referees (tough job doesn’t come close).  But, the treatment Clark got last night against Connecticut was blatantly brutal.  The opening play was a defensive kicked ball (not called) resulting in a defensive run out that saw Clark get a phantom foul called on the layup.  So in 1st 12 seconds the refs missed 2 calls and set the tone that the rookie was going to have to earn her bones. Caitlin is obviously physically weaker than the stronger level of mature WNBA competitors.  But the consistent mugging she took and ticky-tacky fouls that seemed to be one-sidedly called against her was visually disturbing.  League going to need to have discussions with refs to cut out the rookie bias before the glitter is gone off this real chance for the league’s profile to exponentially and permanently be raised.  Refs, especially the male, just need to get themselves in position and call the game consistently.

I had a Facebook friend post this last night:

Have to preface my post that I love what Caitlin Clark has done to elevate the excitement for college and pro women's basketball but watched the second half of their game Vs the Sun and she acted a bit too much spoiled brat Lebron for me!!!

In the  closing minutes of a winnable game she had a bad turnover, fouled after the TO then barked at the ref that she was fouled resulting in technical foul and free throw and ball for the Sun who subsequently won. In post game interview she  could have owned up to her mistake that had a huge impact on the game at a crucial time but she didn't......not as big of a fan.

Everyone is watching including young girls so do better Clark. 

It's more than shooting 3's and scoring points.

She definitely has a tendency to whine and has some pretty bad turnovers at times. 

She will continue to go through a learning phase as she acclimates to professional basketball, but I think she'll be fine. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

I had a Facebook friend post this last night:

Have to preface my post that I love what Caitlin Clark has done to elevate the excitement for college and pro women's basketball but watched the second half of their game Vs the Sun and she acted a bit too much spoiled brat Lebron for me!!!

In the  closing minutes of a winnable game she had a bad turnover, fouled after the TO then barked at the ref that she was fouled resulting in technical foul and free throw and ball for the Sun who subsequently won. In post game interview she  could have owned up to her mistake that had a huge impact on the game at a crucial time but she didn't......not as big of a fan.

Everyone is watching including young girls so do better Clark. 

It's more than shooting 3's and scoring points.

Agree with the whining and untimely turnovers; but, I do think the exasperation she vocalized came from the physical beating she was subjected to and the imbalance of how the game was called.  Refs are obviously dishing her a little humble pie and she is going to have to just zip her lip and earn her stripes.  

Just now, Oldercoach said:

Agree with the whining and untimely turnovers; but, I do think the exasperation she vocalized came from the physical beating she was subjected to and the imbalance of how the game was called.  Refs are obviously dishing her a little humble pie and she is going to have to just zip her lip and earn her stripes.  

It is a big jump up to the WNBA and I think her team is expecting a lot of her.  Plus, so many of the women in the WNBA are absolute super athletes that probably give their best efforts against Clark.  I agree she needs to zip it, watch her body language, and play ball. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

It is a big jump up to the WNBA and I think her team is expecting a lot of her. 

A lot of the haters are ignoring the fact that she was the #1 pick because Indy was horrible. LOL

Yes, she makes them better, but she can't do what she does with no help. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

A lot of the haters are ignoring the fact that she was the #1 pick because Indy was horrible. LOL

Yes, she makes them better, but she can't do what she does with no help. 

I have had the same conversation with a couple of people off BGP and that is Indy is horrible and judging her performance needs to be done in the proper context. 

• Like 1

From OutKick on Facebook.

Jemele Hill on Caitlin Clark's success:

"We would all be very naïve if we didn’t say race and her sexuality played a role in her popularity. While so many people are happy for Caitlin’s success — including the players; this has had such an enormous impact on the game..."

jh.jpg

29 minutes ago, theguru said:

"We would all be very naïve if we didn’t say race and her sexuality played a role in her popularity. While so many people are happy for Caitlin’s success — including the players; this has had such an enormous impact on the game..."

jh.jpg

Hill said race (duh) and her sexuality (probably to a lesser degree) played a role in her rise to fame. That is not exactly breaking news or a scorching take. She didn't say she was a bum on the court.

This is on par with someone saying Sydney Sweeny's hotness played a role in her rising to stardom and the faux outrage crowd saying, "Hater. She is only popular because she is a gifted actor!"  

While Hill may peddle in the race-baiting game a little much for me, this is pretty tame.

3 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Hill said race (duh) and her sexuality (probably to a lesser degree) played a role in her rise to fame. That is not exactly breaking news or a scorching take. She didn't say she was a bum on the court.

This is on par with someone saying Sydney Sweeny's hotness played a role in her rising to stardom and the faux outrage crowd saying, "Hater. She is only popular because she is a gifted actor!"  

While Hill may peddle in the race-baiting game a little much for me, this is pretty tame.

I had to Google Sydney Sweeny and yes she is pretty cute. 

A lot of people peddle in the race-baiting game and now it has evolved to the race and sexuality game. Ugh. 

28 minutes ago, theguru said:

jh.jpg

I read the article yesterday. I couldn't help but laugh at the end. A'JA Wilson was quoted saying it makes her blood boil when people say it's not about race. Acting as though Caitlin Clark wasn't a huge hit this past season in due to her breaking records, and leading her team to the title game. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I read the article yesterday. I couldn't help but laugh at the end. A'JA Wilson was quoted saying it makes her blood boil when people say it's not about race. Acting as though Caitlin Clark wasn't a huge hit this past season in due to her breaking records, and leading her team to the title game. 🤦‍♂️

I think we are at a place in America where derogatory comments about race, religion, gender, and sexual orientation are mainstream. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, theguru said:

jh.jpg

I don't speak for everyone, and I never watch women's pro basketball.  But I watched Clark once and was hooked in the same way Steph Curry hooked me.  They both play a style that's fascinating to watch.

The only other women's player I watched just because of the player was Griner.  She was just different and better.

So for me, Hill's argument doesn't carry weight.

• Like 2