Kentucky 91 Mississippi State 89

10 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

So is it only dumb not to take a timeout when it doesn’t work? Or did Cal do the wrong thing by not taking the timeout even though they won?

My feeling on this is it depends to me who has the ball if someone other than Sheppard, Dillingham and maybe Reeves has the ball under 6 seconds (plus it is tied and you are not down) I call a timeout. If one of those 3 has it I probably let them make a play. That's just me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

What a finish!!!! Thankfully Wagner passed it off. Wisely  passed it to the man with the hot hand. Cats played poorly in the first half but Cals guess that they cool off was correct. Not sure what Zs issues with gravity were tonight but he was on the floor a lot and not because he was diving for the ball.

Ugo absolutely cannot foul at the end and Reed threw just a god awful pass to let State right back in it. Also we are up 3 and we don’t foul? Guy from State was on fire tonight. 

overall I’m very happy with a win, it’s nice to see the Cats win one like this. 

I was worried when Wagner didn't give him the ball initially.

Big Z was getting tossed around like a rag doll most the night.

Terrible foul by Ugo. Completely awful turnover by Sheppard but he sure carried the Cats tonight, just wish he'd clean up that really awful TO he tends to have. Clutch on D and Free Throws and of course the winning shot.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And while we're at it, fantastic coaching by Cal throughout that game.

I agree except for 1 thing you could see Sheppard was in trouble before that terrible pass and you have 2 timeouts with under :30 seconds left and he had an official right in front of him less than a foot away he should have been screaming for a timeout. 

5 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Completely awful turnover by Sheppard

Two things on that he knew he was in trouble and all he had to do was jump stop and call a timeout or Cal who had an official less than a foot from him and he should have been screaming for a timeout. We had two left and there was less than :30 seconds left (:24 actually).

• Like 1

Obviously, Reed Sheppard. But hats off for the continual in game adjustments. UK always seemed one step ahead of the Bulldogs tonight. All credit goes to the players for that and of course to Calipari for properly rolling out the ball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The last 12-13 minutes of the game when Kentucky began their run towards taking the lead, the entire team did a great job of not rushing things. I think Reed had one terribly rushed shot when he attempted to tie the game at 56, outside of that,  everyone was patient. They let the ball work it's way back to Reed late in the shot clock vs forcing up a tough contested shot. That took a lot of poise and maturity in a hostile road environment. 

• Like 1

GREAT fight and heart by our guys tonight, wow, MSU played so far above their head it was unreal.  Big Z HAS to start now and build up stamina to 25-30 min a game

Time to get some fundamental things cleaned up in practice Cal, if you guys get that done this team has a real shot!!!

36 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

My one and only bone to pick with UK basketball.  Why on why does Cal start the five guys he does?

I like bringing in the shock troops 3 or 4 minutes into the game. It seems to work well. Plus I think you never have to worry about Reed or Rob coming in connected and ready to go. Some players don't come off the bench as engaged as they do when starting. I like our chemistry right now, why screw it up?

• Like 3