Trinity vs. Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

Tigerpride94

Who wins?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2023 at 12:00 AM

The Douglass offense surprised me against Male. I didn’t think they would be able to move it at all and they did a great job. If the Douglass offense can effectively move the ball against Trinity they have a shot. 

The problem is the Trinity offense has come alive behind their freshman QB. I think his ability to move the ball on offense mixed their great defense equals a win this time for Trinity. 

Rocks 27-14

• Like 1

I have said this multiple times lately, but this is almost like a whole new season for Trinity at this point in their schedule. They are a lot more healthy, especially up front, and have really found a rhythm offensively. WR Jeremiah Lynn has taken the leap to the elite/gamechanger status occupied by the likes of Nathan Dutton, James Quick, Scott Radcliff and Rondale Moore in recent years. QB Zane Johnson has not had much problem finding him and has progressed tremendously under the tutelage of Travis Wright and Jake Williams. Skill "dudes" Luke Sasser, JB Berry and Mason Scherer have all made major impacts in keeping the sticks moving and the job Nathan Leslie has done with Matt Higgins and this offensive line has been nothing short of tremendous. Elijah Hernandez has been a major force in the rushing game and Gabe Kays, Will Saner, Boyd Knoerr and Caden Smith have been outstanding as well in the rotation. The best part about this offense is that a guy like RB Clint Sansbury has made it so that even if Johnson is off just a touch, they can feed him and keep it moving. He's the MVP of the offense so far this year for me. 

Defensively, its the same old song. The front seven have been absolutely stifling all year long, especially against the run. LB's Brady McEnenany and Drew Davis anchor a defense that is 2nd in 6A in rushing defense and 1st in sacks and 2nd in interceptions. Brandon Stafford has emerged as a shutdown corner and freshman Sekou Kamara gets better every week at the other corner. Dane Morrow is a huge impact player at safety and Gabe Mingus has been a revelation at the hybrid/viper position both in coverage and making plays on the ball.

All that being said, this will be the toughest game for Trinity in two months. Douglass has the athletes to make you pay for a mistake and pay quickly. TayTay Allen and Pharo Watts are equally dangerous running the rock and Aveion Chenault and Derion Talbert are certified playmakers when Jaxon Strautman can get them the ball. It is really like looking in the mirror when you see what they can do. They are extremely balanced as well, with a near 50/50 split in yardage running and throwing. Defense is where they have really shined though. Michigan commit Jeremiah Lowe and Terrion Hicks are tremendous in the secondary and are a major reason why FD is #3 against the pass despite only having 4 interceptions. Most teams just don't throw against them! Linebackers Derion Neal and Logan Busson are stalwarts against the run and have combined for 24 tackles for loss.

I think this is a game where both teams will try to figure out early what the other team is giving. Male was definitely a good tune-up for FD and should give the Broncos an idea of what they will face on Friday. While the regular season matchup is in the rear-view mirror, Coach Cobb and the Rocks have a tradition of forgiving, but not forgetting. After a few donuts and juice on Thursday morning with the alumni, this 2023 Trinity team full of battle tested seniors looking for revenge and not-so-young-anymore freshmen will have watched the tape and be ready to go with a gameplan from one of the best coaching staffs in the region. I like our chances!  ☘️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Very nice write-up, Rock.   I agree with you on Sansbury being the MVP.   I read where he put on 16 pounds over the off-season and is now 196 pounds.   He is a hard, tough runner.   The QB has improved a lot over the course of the season.  I've always thought that McEnenany doesn't get the acclaim he deserves.   I believe he is a 3-year starter.

In the first game with FD, I was impressed with their defense and the way they swarmed to the ball.   They have great players all over the field.   The days of weak Lexington 6A football are behind us, as evidenced by Trinity's 1-2 record in their most recent games against Bryan Station and FD, and BS and FD being in the final 4.

I expect a 48-minute game played at a high level, with line play and turnovers probably being the deciding factors.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

Very nice write-up, Rock.   I agree with you on Sansbury being the MVP.   I read where he put on 16 pounds over the off-season and is now 196 pounds.   He is a hard, tough runner.   The QB has improved a lot over the course of the season.  I've always thought that McEnenany doesn't get the acclaim he deserves.   I believe he is a 3-year starter.

In the first game with FD, I was impressed with their defense and the way they swarmed to the ball.   They have great players all over the field.   The days of weak Lexington 6A football are behind us, as evidenced by Trinity's 1-2 record in their most recent games against Bryan Station and FD, and BS and FD being in the final 4.

I expect a 48-minute game played at a high level, with line play and turnovers probably being the deciding factors.

Appreciate that very much. To me, the acclaim for McEnaney is simply because of the team's record. I don't know many linebackers at Trinity who have started for three straight years and been a huge part of a stout defense like he has. He, Lincoln Mitchell and Gabe Mingus have been through the fire and come out as terrific ballplayers and also great young men.

I can say without much hyperbole that Brady has cemented himself among Trinity's best linebackers in the last 30 or so years. I often compare him to Eric McElroy '99, Mike Snyder '02, Phil McCauley '09, Daeshawn Bertram '13 and Charlie Ely '21. He has range, quickness, and a tremendous football intellect that make him the MVP of our defense. I hope a college comes along and offers him because he would be a remarkable asset to any defensive coach at that level. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, #RockNation said:

Appreciate that very much. To me, the acclaim for McEnaney is simply because of the team's record. I don't know many linebackers at Trinity who have started for three straight years and been a huge part of a stout defense like he has. He, Lincoln Mitchell and Gabe Mingus have been through the fire and come out as terrific ballplayers and also great young men.

I can say without much hyperbole that Brady has cemented himself among Trinity's best linebackers in the last 30 or so years. I often compare him to Eric McElroy '99, Mike Snyder '02, Phil McCauley '09, Daeshawn Bertram '13 and Charlie Ely '21. He has range, quickness, and a tremendous football intellect that make him the MVP of our defense. I hope a college comes along and offers him because he would be a remarkable asset to any defensive coach at that level. 

I'd like to add Barry King '98 and Jordan Whiting '08

16 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

I'd like to add Barry King '98 and Jordan Whiting '08

King for sure was a great player and needs to be on the list. Jordan was a great kid aside from his college choice, but Phil was a much better defensive player and leader on that team. The two of them and Brock Messina made that defense damn scary for anyone on the other side of us!