Interesting fact about the 12 state semifinal games next week

16thBBall Fan

I was just looking at the 12 state semifinals games next week across all classes based on this year's RPI that only 3 of the 12 games will be played east of Louisville. I just found that interesting. Also, maybe even more interesting is that 5 of the 12 games are being played west of Louisville. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I had one of the head coaches from Central Kentucky point out to me that there were only 4 "one horse town/county schools" that were being represented in the regional finals across the state this year....actually 3 if you include Caverna, which is in Hart County.

Looking at the quarterfinals, I believe that number was whittled down to zero:

1A Football:
Pikeville at Campbellsville
Raceland at Kentucky Country Day

2A Football:
Beechwood at Mayfield
Somerset at Owensboro Catholic

3A Football:
Lexington Catholic at Christian Academy Louisville
Bell County at Hart County

4A Football:
Paducah Tilghman at Covington Catholic
Boyle County at Franklin County

5A Football:
Owensboro at Bowling Green
Cooper at Highlands

6A Football:
Bryan Station at Ballard
Frederick Douglass at Trinity

• Like 1

Seems that since the RPI locks in after the last regular season game there is no reward for good play in the playoffs. Cooper smacks Scott County and beats Southwestern and their RPI doesn't improve? Owensboro has played lights out but they don't improve? Seems to me that it would be easy and quickly recalculated( all those decimal places scream computer program lol) and improvement would be rewarded by strength of opponents.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wouldn’t that penalize the regular season district winners? They are playing 4 seeds who have low RPIs in the first round so could potentially be jumped. If we’re going to live in this RPI world, build a schedule outside of district play to position yourself to host games in the 3rd round and beyond.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Seems that since the RPI locks in after the last regular season game there is no reward for good play in the playoffs. Cooper smacks Scott County and beats Southwestern and their RPI doesn't improve? Owensboro has played lights out but they don't improve? Seems to me that it would be easy and quickly recalculated( all those decimal places scream computer program lol) and improvement would be rewarded by strength of opponents.

You’d be penalizing all the 1 seeds and lowering an RPI that they earned during the regular season. They have no choice in the matter and are forced to play the lowest seeds. That’s not going to happen. The current method is the most fair. If you don’t like your RPI in the playoffs, do better in the regular season. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cardinal4Life06 said:

The two Owensboro schools both going to state final would be huge. 

Both have tough games coming. BG. Is no slouch, and they will be ready. 
Somerset is rolling and playing their best. I heard their running back went for 295yds last night. That’s very impressive and could present issues for the aces!!

2 hours ago, sportsdad316 said:

Both have tough games coming. BG. Is no slouch, and they will be ready. 
Somerset is rolling and playing their best. I heard their running back went for 295yds last night. That’s very impressive and could present issues for the aces!!

Owensboro will have a tough road but it’s winnable.

Catholic will running clock Somerset. I think Catholic will win state. 

I agree, both schools making it to state would be awesome!!

All the RPI is going to accomplish is, the historically good football programs will have to start playing out-of-state teams to fill their schedule.  Mark my words.  

As for the location of the games, this is a direct result of playing a weaker schedule to try to play at home in the playoffs.  Some do it.  Some don't. 

Overall, I have no problem with RPI if two adjustments/rules were made:

1.  Re-adjust for strength of out of state comp.  If you can figure it for in state comp, it shouldn’t be that hard to adjust for out of state.

2.  If two teams meet in the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs & they’ve already met in the regular season then the regular season winner hosts the playoff game, regardless of RPI.  FD & BS should be hosting tonight….they EARNED that right in the regular season matchups with Trinity & Ballard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Overall, I have no problem with RPI if two adjustments/rules were made:

1.  Re-adjust for strength of out of state comp.  If you can figure it for in state comp, it shouldn’t be that hard to adjust for out of state.

2.  If two teams meet in the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs & they’ve already met in the regular season then the regular season winner hosts the playoff game, regardless of RPI.  FD & BS should be hosting tonight….they EARNED that right in the regular season matchups with Trinity & Ballard.

Agreed, a team gets punished for playing an out-of-state team, no matter if they are a top team in their state or not.  And, a head-to-head match-up should trump all rankings.