Increased Minimum Wage - Who Does It Help?

Ram

I alos enjoy the argument that companies will simply "pass the cost along to the consumer." That is 1970's thinking, but the world is now flat. .

While reading your post, I was thinking of the book you almost referenced called "The World is Flat." Good read for all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think tuition won't increase if there isn't an increase in the minimum wage?

As I said in my original post "That son who's tuition will probably go up even more than it would have because the college now has to pay the working students more?"

For the record, none of the other tax initiatives have benefitted me either. The child tax credit-credit....too late for me. My kids were already too old. Could have used it back in the day though! :lol:

Here's my theory:

Tax cuts won't do much for the "average" American. Neither will raising the minimum wage. We all just have to keep doing whatever it takes to keep making things better for ourselves.

Given the choice off boosting the wages of 50 employees of a private company from 5.50 to 7.50 or giving the business owner a tax break, I would back the wage increase for the simple reason that 100% of that wage increase would be recycled immediately into the economy. To recover the 16,000., the business owner may hae to cut off 5 employees but the 45 remaining will have it a little better. Out of 50 employees, I sure some jobs could be combined and at least 5 are dead wood anyway.

Given the choice off boosting the wages of 50 employees of a private company from 5.50 to 7.50 or giving the business owner a tax break, I would back the wage increase for the simple reason that 100% of that wage increase would be recycled immediately into the economy. To recover the 16,000., the business owner may hae to cut off 5 employees but the 45 remaining will have it a little better. Out of 50 employees, I sure some jobs could be combined and at least 5 are dead wood anyway.

"They eat their own."

Because he's doing work-study to reduce his tuition, and the jobs pay minimum wage.

At better than $30,000/year that $5.15 an hour ain't goin' very far! :lol: Granted the increase won't help a tremendous amount, but every dollar matters! :D

He's at UE right? Get him to tutor athletes that are in his classes. It paid between $6 and $7 back in the mid 90's

I can't produce the source at this time but I read that only 4% of the workforce in the United states made minimum wage and around 65% of that group were high school or college students. If these stats are true, as someone said earlier in the thread, the Dems are making a big deal about nothing and it will probably cut into all our pockets. They (dems) will probably get it passed and stick a feather in their hat like they've saved the world or something. I'm so thankful that I'm a Republican.:D

I can't produce the source at this time but I read that only 4% of the workforce in the United states made minimum wage and around 65% of that group were high school or college students. If these stats are true, as someone said earlier in the thread, the Dems are making a big deal about nothing and it will probably cut into all our pockets. They (dems) will probably get it passed and stick a feather in their hat like they've saved the world or something. I'm so thankful that I'm a Republican.:D

A man/woman after my own heart. Raising minimun wage will only hurt the middle class and the Dems, noone else period.

For the record, none of the other tax initiatives have benefitted me either. The child tax credit-credit....too late for me. My kids were already too old. Could have used it back in the day though! :lol:

Here's my theory:

Tax cuts won't do much for the "average" American. Neither will raising the minimum wage. We all just have to keep doing whatever it takes to keep making things better for ourselves.

Not sure that is accurate. A few months/weeks back, I gave HHSDad some #'s that was close to my economic situation. He replied that my tax burden pre-GW would have been around $5200 per year. After GW's tax breaks, it was $2700 per year. That is $2500 or $200 more per month in my pocket.

The minimum wage does zero for me.

I would feel that as a public school teacher with children, I am as close to average as you can get.

Over 13 would have to be cut, not counting employer paid taxes. Probably 14 or 15 including those.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the 5 that are "dead wood" have bills to pay, mouths to feed and lives they would like to be able to live. And your view is better to have 45 living a little bit better and 5 unemployed than 50 employed.

The fact that the government is controlling how much someone must pay an employee is obsurd. I don't care if the minimum wage is $0.01 per hour or $100 per hour.

My view exactly. If you are not talented enough to demand and receive a fair wage for your efforts, you are not very talented and in this country you have no one at all to blame but yourself.