Increased Minimum Wage - Who Does It Help?

Ram

The fact that the government is controlling how much someone must pay an employee is obsurd. I don't care if the minimum wage is $0.01 per hour or $100 per hour.

Then, should that extend as to who they can or cannot employ? What and how a business may develop on its own property? How a business may or may not dispose of its garbage? Allow certain conduct of harassment and/or discrimination?

The real benefit of the minimum wage is the benchmark standard it sets. That is really not a bad thing. As for the economic impact, I find it hard to believe a company will now struggle because of this vs. the last decade of controlled payroll costs? Hey, maybe the place should not be in business if that is the best it can do.

By the way, business were outsourcing, reorging, reducing and all sorts of predictions before the wage went up. So nothing has really changed and have yet to see a validated study that shows the last wage increase resulted in a real decrease in the American standard.

This is more a chicken little cry.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that is accurate. A few months/weeks back, I gave HHSDad some #'s that was close to my economic situation. He replied that my tax burden pre-GW would have been around $5200 per year. After GW's tax breaks, it was $2700 per year. That is $2500 or $200 more per month in my pocket.

The minimum wage does zero for me.

I would feel that as a public school teacher with children, I am as close to average as you can get.

I am in the same situation. After W took office I am putting between $200 and $300 a month back in by pocket.

When we are in what Dems call a "recession" I prosper a lot more. After W took office I re-financed my house and saved $20000 off the pay-off.

I am in the same situation. After W took office I am putting between $200 and $300 a month back in by pocket.

When we are in what Dems call a "recession" I prosper a lot more. After W took office I re-financed my house and saved $20000 off the pay-off.

They are still taking over 4000.00 out of my quarterly commission checks on top of what is witheld from my weekly sallary. I'll have to compare 05 to 06 when i get my W2's, but it doesn't seem lie mush of a gain to me.

They are still taking over 4000.00 out of my quarterly commission checks on top of what is witheld from my weekly sallary. I'll have to compare 05 to 06 when i get my W2's, but it doesn't seem lie mush of a gain to me.

Has nothing to do with your final tax bill. The percent withheld from special pays (that includes commissions) is set by law. Compare your 2000 to your 2006 tax returns and you'll see the difference.