Bob Huggins out at West Virginia

GOREDDEVILS

3 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

How about total wins compared to others in the business, I just think he has been good for the game with his less talented teams and coming up with upsets and underdog wins.

Doesn’t it strike you as odd that such a winner couldn’t get more talented teams? Or higher profile jobs? 

23 wins and a Final 4 every 20 years makes a coach a winner? 

3 hours ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Doesn’t it strike you as odd that such a winner couldn’t get more talented teams? Or higher profile jobs? 

23 wins and a Final 4 every 20 years makes a coach a winner? 

Does it strike you that he didn’t need talent or a high profile job to win many, many games? And last time I checked, Cinncinati said WVa are rather decent D1 jobs.

10 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

Does it strike you that he didn’t need talent or a high profile job to win many, many games? And last time I checked, Cinncinati said WVa are rather decent D1 jobs.

Each has been relevant in the national landscape exactly once since the days of Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. Maybe WV twice. I wouldn’t call either of them high profile. 

So he made a career off beating up on C-USA and the bottom of the Big East barrel. 

His teams must hedge really hard. 

1 hour ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Each has been relevant in the national landscape exactly once since the days of Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. Maybe WV twice. I wouldn’t call either of them high profile. 

So he made a career off beating up on C-USA and the bottom of the Big East barrel. 

His teams must hedge really hard. 

Each are relevant every year in respective conferences, bottom of the Big East is exactly who? Cincinnati under Huggie was a team nobody wanted to play come tourney time, so a winner is still the right term for him and always will be.

27 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Each are relevant every year in respective conferences, bottom of the Big East is exactly who? Cincinnati under Huggie was a team nobody wanted to play come tourney time, so a winner is still the right term for him and always will be.

I find your defense and promotion of Huggins as a winner interesting. I personally have often compared John Calipari to Bob Huggins. I see them very similar as coaches. They are good practice coaches and not good game coaches. They have a style they play and they will stick to it. For you to be promoting Huggins like this and be so anti Calipari is a strange contrast IMO.

As to who is a winner, Calipari has a higher winning percentage than Huggins. In the tournament, Calipari's NCAA tournament winning percentage is #3 and Huggins is #13.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I find your defense and promotion of Huggins as a winner interesting. I personally have often compared John Calipari to Bob Huggins. I see them very similar as coaches. They are good practice coaches and not good game coaches. They have a style they play and they will stick to it. For you to be promoting Huggins like this and be so anti Calipari is a strange contrast IMO.

As to who is a winner, Calipari has a higher winning percentage than Huggins. In the tournament, Calipari's NCAA tournament winning percentage is #3 and Huggins is #13.

I just think Huggie has always gotten the most from his teams, very demanding, no nonsense guy, hasn’t done very well in tourney play.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...