Will Newport have any home games in 2023?

dshoe40

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

Is there a delay here?

Yep.  Same company is still putting stands in at Lloyd, so they're 2 months off schedule.  Only chance of a home game this year is if they host a playoff game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Yep.  Same company is still putting stands in at Lloyd, so they're 2 months off schedule.  Only chance of a home game this year is if they host a playoff game.

Thanks and so sad.

It definitely stinks for Newport. I drove by today on my way home from work and it looks to me, from a good distance of 471, that there are concrete forms being built for the new stands. Hopefully they put in actual locker rooms and bathrooms. This stadiums history is on par with any other WPA stadium. 

17 hours ago, nees1212 said:

I thought Lloyds project was much further along.  Can any Juggs followers confirm their project’s status?

On 7/21/2023 at 4:15 PM, nees1212 said:

On 7/22/2023 at 9:51 AM, Thunder44 said:

I thought Lloyds project was much further along.  Can any Juggs followers confirm their project’s status?

The stands are oftentimes one of the final pieces of the puzzle on stadium projects (although not necessarily). So Lloyd's field renovation may well be complete and only waiting on the stands to be finished.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, newarkcatholicfan said:

Newport has a 1pm game on Nov 4th at home.
Where will that game take place? I am hoping to cover it.

I thought I'd read that after the construction delays, Newport Stadium would be ready at the end of October - and here we are. 

Luckily we've got a guy who knows a thing or two. And if he doesn't know, he also knows some other guys who know, you know?  

@Colonels_Wear_Blue?

I'd still call the school to confirm the game is AT Newport.  

Screenshot_20231029-191058__01.jpg

11 hours ago, rjal said:

What I have heard, all be it  third hand, was that there will be an inspection sometime this week and if the stadium can pass, the game will be played at home. 

9 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've heard the same thing, but I've got a couple of messages in to confirm.

This is wonderful if that is the case. I wondered if moving the game to Saturday might be because it wasn't completely finished but a day game would be easier to manage than a night game.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:24 PM, Breds82 said:

The stands and press box seem to be complete but no locker rooms or concession stands. I hope they can play at home, school board/district did these boys a disservice.

Those were part of the next phase as they were never scheduled to be done for this season based on a conversation I had with someone from Newport a month ago.

• Like 1

I understand not being able to play there this year due to lack of restrooms and locker rooms. My main point is the disappointment I feel for the Newport players, and to an extent NewCath's players. Whoever it may be, the school district or the city, dropped the ball big time over the years for this to be the situation. The stadium was in bad shape as far back as the late 90's (if not later ) and on, and nothing was going to be done until their hands were forced. Newport has some of the highest tax rates in NKY, this should've been acted on way sooner.

• Like 2