Spring Landscaping

Breds82

I’ve had zero luck in the landscaping game. The major zero is getting pines to grow in the clay soil of NKY. I bought 8 baby pine trees, that would grow to 8ft in two years. I planted them in the back yard underneath a huge Walnut tree. The area gets enough sun that I still have to cut the grass once a week but the trees never grew. I wanted to plant them to combat erosion at the base of the hill and to separate the main yard from the fire pit I have at the bottom. I did everything I was told to do by the Botanist but they never grew an inch after one year and they were all dead after 3. Any tips or advice would be welcome.

What type of pine were you planting? Pines are very picky growers when it comes to soil acidity and moisture. 

If you are in NKY, there are really only 3 types of pines I'd recommend. 

1. Bald Cypress - pretty fast growing tree, sheds needles in the fall, nice fall color, decent shade, height: 50', width: 20'.  These trees are typically seen around water features. 

2. Dawn Redwood - very fast growing tree, sheds needles in the fall, great fall color, great shade, height: 80', width: 25'. Very fast growing tree (3 to 4' per year) 

3. Eastern Red Cedar - medium growth rate (about a foot per year), true evergreen even throughout winter, good for wind breaks and privacy blinds, height: 45', width: 15'

The Bald Cypress and Dawn Redwood will look like they may be dying in the fall. Worry not, they're just turning into that nice fall color. These are the 3 types of pines I've had the most luck with in NKY. I'm sure there are probably more, but I've just not come across them yet. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Thanks for the input. I can’t remember what the trees I got were but I listened to the tree guy and planted per his instructions. Is there a certain time to plant these types of pines?

Right now or late fall. It's all about the dormancy of the tree. You want to plant when the roots stop or are about to begin soaking up that moisture from the ground. 

• Like 1

Another project for the back yard. I have a a flat area in the back yard before my hill starts. Well my wife and 6 year old (mainly my daughter) guilted me into another dog, makes two, in October. Needless to say it was turned into a mud pit within a few days. I’ve been wanting to build a patio for awhile but money always went to more important things. A guy at work suggested just building a natural rock patio. So I have a 15x15 natural rock patio I just started yesterday. I knew I’d have to do a bit of digging, as there is a slope in the yard, but I certainly under estimated the amount and I’m only on row two. 

The issue you had with the pines may have been related to the walnut tree. Walnuts produce a toxin that is harmful to other shrubs/trees to limit competition. Some trees can tolerate it, but most need to be planted at least some distance away from walnut trees. 

• Like 1