"Way Too Early" 2023-24 NKY Girls' Basketball Top 16

With both of our NKY teams eliminated last night at the KHSAA Sweet 16 at Rupp Arena (great year Cooper & SK!!), I wanted to help soothe the pain by turning our attention to the 2023-24 season and a VERY early look at what our Top 16 will look like.  In a thread sure to cause consternation and angst from many around NKY, I will lay out the Top 16, share who they lose from this year (graduating seniors only, obviously), and what percentage of their total points and rebounds do they graduate.  Feel free to respectfully disagree and state your case, should make for a thread that has plenty of life over the next 7 months.

Also, I'm well aware that there are a number of "rumors" out there about who may move to where, but I'm not factoring any of that in at this point.  If a couple of the super talented 2027 girls do end up switching schools, that will be addressed in the first poll in the fall, but I'm not factoring that in here.  I've heard 3 of the 2027 girls that are "likely" to go here or there, and this is certainly the year to do it, but I believe all of that stuff when I see it happen fully.  So without further ado, buckle up, and enjoy this crystal ball deep-dive:

1.  Cooper (33rd District) -- they lose 39.4% of their points from this season and 40.4% of their rebounds.  They graduate Kay Friehofer, Whitney Lind, and Yamilet Rondon-Rivera.

2.  Notre Dame (35th District) -- they lose 32.4% of their points and 11.9% of their rebounds.  They graduate Noelle Hubert.

3.  Holy Cross (35th District) -- they lose 41.6% of their points and 33.5% of their rebounds.  They graduate Aleah Arlinghaus, Sarah Bottom, Nejai Lewis, and Elizabeth McCoy.

4.  Ryle (33rd District) -- they lose 43.1% of their points and 31.3% of their rebounds.  They graduate Emerson Fong, Anna Gregory, Abby Holtman, Austin Johnson, and Meredith Snider.

5.  Highlands (36th District) -- they lose 13.7% of their points and 12.6% of their rebounds.  They graduate Alyssa Harris.

6.  NewCath (36th District) -- they lose 7.2% of their points and 18.9% of their rebounds.  They graduate Natalie Haigis and Joelle Kinnett.

7.  Simon Kenton (32nd District) -- they lose 18.1% of their points and 25.3% of their rebounds.  They graduate Belle Bach, Edyn Chenot, Joyce Cooper, and Emilee Eggleston.

8.  Conner (33rd District) -- they lose 44.3% of their points and 52.8% of their rebounds.  They graduate Elaina Keller, Breanna Maidens, Emily McGraw, Juliet Strange, and Kelsee Simpson.

9.  Dixie (34th District) -- they lose 47.4% of their points and 27.9% of their rebounds.  They graduate Samantha Berman and Ella Steczynski.

10. St. Henry (34th District) -- they lose 21.1% of their points and 22.2% of their rebounds.  They graduate Jadyn Danbury and Chilota Iloegbunam.

11. Campbell County (37th District) -- they lose 36.0% of their points and 30.3% of their rebounds.  They graduate Sophia Beck, Julian Busam, Keauna Cullum, and Kennedy Johnson.

12. Grant County (32nd District) -- they lose 49.1% of their points and 48.3% of their rebounds.  They graduate Cecilia Gay, Emily Naranjo, Dakota Rowe, Sarah Scroggins, and Emily Wilcoxen.

13. Walton Verona (32nd District) -- they lose 53.6% of their points and 53.4% of their rebounds.  They graduate Grace Brewer, McKaila Hatton, and Jenna Rodgers.

14. Bishop Brossart (37th District) -- they lose 76.5% of their points and 82.7% of their rebounds.  They graduate Cora Bertsch, Claire Hummel, Molly Kramer, Olivia Lloyd, Jill Planeaux, and Bella Rowe.

15. Pendleton County (38th District) -- they lose 68.5% of their points and 76.6% of their rebounds.  They graduate Skylar Ashcraft, Emmie Dunn, Morgan Hart, Kennadi Mayer, Savannah Shinkowiak, Cara Stewart, and Saniah Thomas.

16. Scott (37th District) -- they lose 78.3% of their points and 80.5% of their rebounds.  They graduate Grace Braden, Ava Coleman, Francheska Deluna, Presley Grant, Kayla Overman, Kayla Peterson, Autumn Ponder, Raegan Scheper, Amberly Turner, and Madelyn Wilson.

Congrats to ALL of those young ladies listed on completing your careers!!  I know how much work you put in, during the season, and in the offseason, whether you'll never pick up a ball again, or you're off to a Division 1 University to play, you should be VERY proud of what you and your teammates accomplished.  You have so many great memories that you'll never forget, many of which seemed like small things when they happened, but they'll feel like huge things in 10 years when you're laughing about them with your teammates as you gather your families in the future.  Well done to all of you.

Off to 2023-24 for all of us fans....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was talking to someone, via text, this morning who was referencing this post (not knowing I was the author).  They pointed out, accurately, how impressive it was (for the player) that NDA lost nearly a third of their points from this season but only one player.  

Noelle should be very proud of her Career, and I know she has done with good old fashioned hard work and consistent effort.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this thread back up, and as you see our returning players on he courts throughout the spring and summer, please share any insights, thoughts, opinions, etc.

Also, while I don't normally give a plugged nickel about rumors and who may go where because of why, if we get confirmation that someone is going to be enrolling somewhere different next year, please help me keep up with that in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just for the sake of discussion and debate.  I agree with your top 2 DD, but would shuffle 3-8, make it look something like this.

1 - Cooper

2 - NDA

3 - Ryle

4 - SK

5 - Holy Cross

6 - Conner

7 - NCC

8 - Highlands

*Debating on putting Dixie ahead of Highlands, but we can go with it.

32 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Just for the sake of discussion and debate.  I agree with your top 2 DD, but would shuffle 3-8, make it look something like this.

1 - Cooper

2 - NDA

3 - Ryle

4 - SK

5 - Holy Cross

6 - Conner

7 - NCC

8 - Highlands

*Debating on putting Dixie ahead of Highlands, but we can go with it.

Is NCC getting a major influx of talent?  Highlands destroyed them twice and arguably has the best player in the region.

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Is NCC getting a major influx of talent?  Highlands destroyed them twice and arguably has the best player in the region.

You can switch NCC and Highlands.  You make a good point about beating them twice last year.  I think you are referring to Green as being the best player in the region.  I am not in that camp.  She has improved greatly since her 8th grade year, but I think she is 4th among bigs in the region and maybe in the top 10 overall.  Yes, I know the coaches in D2 gave her player of the year, but let's be honest Julia Hunt should have gotten the award.  She has a bright future, but maybe pump the brakes a bit on best player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoops Junkie said:

You can switch NCC and Highlands.  You make a good point about beating them twice last year.  I think you are referring to Green as being the best player in the region.  I am not in that camp.  She has improved greatly since her 8th grade year, but I think she is 4th among bigs in the region and maybe in the top 10 overall.  Yes, I know the coaches in D2 gave her player of the year, but let's be honest Julia Hunt should have gotten the award.  She has a bright future, but maybe pump the brakes a bit on best player.

I stand by what I said.  Kid showed great progress last off-season and if she takes another big step forward she will be in the discussion without question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I stand by what I said.  Kid showed great progress last off-season and if she takes another big step forward she will be in the discussion without question.

All good.  Let's keep the discussion going though.  After Green who are your next 9 to make your top 10?

My early Top 11 IN NO ORDER:

Liz Freihofer and Logan Palmer

Sophia Gibson

Julia Hunt and Miyah Wimzie

Quinn Eubank and Sarah Baker

Marissa Green

Caroline Eaglin

Anna Hamilton

Kayla Unkraut

Marissa would definitely not be ahead of Julia, Quinn, Liz or Anna, for me, but would be in that next tier with Caroline and Kayla.  My opinion.  I'm a big Marissa fan, and I hope her changing AAU clubs is positive for her, but I'm not entirely sure it will work out that way.  Either way, she'd be 5th, at best, heading into 2023-24 for me.  Those other 4 are clearly ahead of her, IN MY OPINION.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, The Double Deuce said:

My early Top 11 IN NO ORDER:

Liz Freihofer and Logan Palmer

Sophia Gibson

Julia Hunt and Miyah Wimzie

Quinn Eubank and Sarah Baker

Marissa Green

Caroline Eaglin

Anna Hamilton

Kayla Unkraut

Marissa would definitely not be ahead of Julia, Quinn, Liz or Anna, for me, but would be in that next tier with Caroline and Kayla.  My opinion.  I'm a big Marissa fan, and I hope her changing AAU clubs is positive for her, but I'm not entirely sure it will work out that way.  Either way, she'd be 5th, at best, heading into 2023-24 for me.  Those other 4 are clearly ahead of her, IN MY OPINION.

Like @Baseball Nut 24 I too agree with the top 4.  I would include Baker and Gibson somewhere to make it the top 6.  Should be a good offseason and another exciting season of parity in the 9th.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, The Double Deuce said:

Baker is top five easily.  She has double digit college offers for a reason.   And, while that is just one metric, she averaged 11 and 7 on a team where she was the third and sometimes fourth option... not by her choice, of course.