Russell 59 Boone County 47

The Lady Devils take this one.

Fortman led all scorers with 30 points. This game was much closer than the

final score would indicate, as Boone County led the game by ten at the half.

In the first half, both teams were flat early, but Boone had success late with

the press. Russell then went to the press in the second half, turning up their

intensity in the process, and finally got shots to start falling.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell is now 15-1 and hasn't appeared in the state rating of top teams. Anyone know why?

They are an unknown quantity outside this area because they had not played west of Morehead. Even though the game was at Russell, this win should help. This is a quality win.

Russell - 10 6 19 24 - 59

Boone Co - 9 16 5 17 - 47

Russell - Fortman 34pts, 12 rebs; O'koro 7 pts, 20 rebs; Simpson 9 pts, 6 rebs; Adkins 7 pts, 3 assists; Sparks 2 pts, 5 rebs, 4 steals

Boone Co - Behrens 13 pts, 6 rebs; Hicks 13 pts, 5 rebs; Reed 7pts, 7 rebs; Switzer 5 pts, 6 rebs; Bradley 5 pts; Brasseaux 4 pts, 7 rebs

They are an unknown quantity outside this area because they had not played west of Morehead. Even though the game was at Russell, this win should help. This is a quality win.

It is a quality win against an excellent team...Ratings are nice but our girls realize how tough it will be to get out of the region...It doesn't matter where we are ranked come district time...In fact, there's a little school who wears orange a couple miles down the road that would like nothing more than to beat us in the first round of the district if we draw one another...If we make it out of the district there are several teams that are capable of winning the 16th region...We just hope we can stay healthy and compete for a championship in March...

It is a quality win against an excellent team...Ratings are nice but our girls realize how tough it will be to get out of the region...It doesn't matter where we are ranked come district time...In fact, there's a little school who wears orange a couple miles down the road that would like nothing more than to beat us in the first round of the district if we draw one another...If we make it out of the district there are several teams that are capable of winning the 16th region...We just hope we can stay healthy and compete for a championship in March...

:thumb: Tourney time should be very exciting with a lot of great basketball to see.

Congrats to the Lady Devils on the "W". They continue to impress.

Let me add one key statistic to all that has been mentioned but first, the game was much closer than the score.

Russell from the charity stripe: 29/43, Fortman was 17/20 herself

Boone from the charity stripe: 11/16

This is rediculous for a team to drive 2 1/2 hrs to get homered this bad. Boone is physical but not that physical. A man from a Russell district opponent made the comment to our parents that this is nothing unusual when a team comes to Russell to play to get that many fouls called against the visitor.

Field goals were even at 12 apiece, Boone hit 4 3's/Russell 2. Obviously the difference being at the line, what a joke but Boone had a chance to put the nail in the coffin and failed to do so.

As for the ranking, who else have the played besides Boone that is ranked in the top 20?

Fortman, what a player. Okoro is as strong on the boards as I have ever seen.

Russell fans remember this win well for when you make the drive next yr to watch our 9th region refs make all the calls in our favor. I will make sure to let them know how it was in the 16th region calling 21 fouls against Boone to 8 in the 2nd half alone.

You are absolutely correct the game was alot closer than the final score. Just a couple of observations on the game. Fortman is real gamer congratulations on a fine game. Okoro big body but her knee must still be bothering her because she did not move real well the whole game. From my understanding she is better than what I saw. Boone sped the game up in the first half and it looked like Russell was a little tired. 2nd half was a foul fest and it slowed the game down for Russell which is very detrimental to Boone's strength which is their bench. Russell shot 42 free throws to Boone's 16 a little disparity there. 17 of Fortmans points were from the charity stipe. I commend her on her shooting 17/20 pretty darn good. Are all 16 region refs so thin skinned. The Rebel faithful (that is us parents) yelled at what we thought was a bad call and the ref actually stopped reffing and came over to us and told us not to yell at them anymore. Now I have screamed at many refs, nothing derogative, or degrading, or cursing and never have they stopped and came over to tell the crowd to knock it off. The only one was the grey haired ref after that he was not going to give us a break the rest of the game. The other two seemed not to care just the one. Tough venues and games like this will only make Boone better in the end. Good luck Russell and Good luck Boone the rest of the season.

You are absolutely correct the game was alot closer than the final score. Just a couple of observations on the game. Fortman is real gamer congratulations on a fine game. Okoro big body but her knee must still be bothering her because she did not move real well the whole game. From my understanding she is better than what I saw. Boone sped the game up in the first half and it looked like Russell was a little tired. 2nd half was a foul fest and it slowed the game down for Russell which is very detrimental to Boone's strength which is their bench. Russell shot 42 free throws to Boone's 16 a little disparity there. 17 of Fortmans points were from the charity stipe. I commend her on her shooting 17/20 pretty darn good. Are all 16 region refs so thin skinned. The Rebel faithful (that is us parents) yelled at what we thought was a bad call and the ref actually stopped reffing and came over to us and told us not to yell at them anymore. Now I have screamed at many refs, nothing derogative, or degrading, or cursing and never have they stopped and came over to tell the crowd to knock it off. The only one was the grey haired ref after that he was not going to give us a break the rest of the game. The other two seemed not to care just the one. Tough venues and games like this will only make Boone better in the end. Good luck Russell and Good luck Boone the rest of the season.

The 16th region refs are not very good. I don't think they are biased they just aren't very good. That might explain the thin skin.

3ptshooter, our 9th region refs will call the games as they see them. I have never seen the 9th region refs homer anyone. Nor would I want them to. I am not sure what happened at Russell but I bet some of their fans may weigh in on your extremely strong statements but I must admit that 43 to 16 is a very lopsided foul tally. How did Nell deal with the refs?

You are correct about some of the fouls coming at the end but that was 3 or 4 at the most. Boone pressed most of the game not just the end. I have no problem with foul calling as long as it is consistent. Several times IMO Russell was bailed out from a turn over by a foul when Boone had them pinned. Then under the basket they let them pound each other which benefits Russell since Okoro is so much stronger than any of our girls. I would never say that 1 ref cost us a game but the grey haired ref made it tough for Boone to get on any roll. Just look at our unforced turnovers and shooting percentage and that will tell you how Boone lost the game, but to overcome those 2 things and a ref who for what ever reason did not like us makes for tough row to hoe.