NET Rankings

futurecoach

Since the NET rankings is one of the big tools they use these days in regards to selecting teams for the NCAA tournament. I figured it would be good to have a thread on it, since we may be looking at these rankings a lot in the coming weeks. 

UK currently is 45th in the rankings, one spot ahead of North Carolina that is 46th. UK was 36th over a week ago until that loss to Georgia. UK at this time only had one quad one victory, but has a chance to pick up a second one tomorrow night. 

4 of Kentucky’s 9 losses have came against teams ranked in the top 12 currently. Then a total of 7 of their losses have came against teams in the top 44. UK does have a win against the 3rd ranked team at Tennessee. So IMO UK still has a good chance to make the tournament. 

(Which I know before some of our regulars say it. I know it is sad that we even have to resort to watching NET rankings just to try to make the tournament)

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

• Thanks 1

Is this list just a ranking or does it somehow take it account all the spots that the NCAA needs to fill for conference tournament winners?  I guess, in other words, how many "upsets" need to happen elsewhere for UK NOT to be in the tournament?

In the Top 50 NET of all the teams in the top 50 that are in Power 5 conferences only 1 team has a worse Quad one record than UK.  That would be North Carolina's 0-9.  Iowa has 7 Quad one wins and crazily Northwestern has 6.  Neither of those two teams on the court should be able to beat UK but they have proven to be able to beat more quality opponents based on these standards.  

Also Kansas are you serious?  11-5 in Quad one games and have only played 6 games the entire season against Quad 3/4 teams.  

UK needs to get to 3 Quad one wins.  These are always in flux so a team that they have beaten could end up being a Quad one win down the road if the team can get themselves in a better spot.  Missouri is such a team if they can get hot down the stretch and pull off a few more wins against Quad 1 teams.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nkypete said:

Is this list just a ranking or does it somehow take it account all the spots that the NCAA needs to fill for conference tournament winners?  I guess, in other words, how many "upsets" need to happen elsewhere for UK NOT to be in the tournament?

This ranking basically replaced the old RPI rankings they used to use to help with section and seeding for the tournament. Where UK is hurting is Quad one wins. To get a quad one win, you need to beat a team at home who is ranked in the top 30, if it’s a neutral site it counts as a quad one win if they are ranked in top 50, if it’s a true road game it counts as a quad one win if that team is ranked on top 75 according to the NET rankings. Which based off that criteria UKs only quad one win was over Tennessee. 

If UK gets to at least 3 quad one wins, I think they will be pretty safe to make it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

UK will get in for sure. The tournament is about $$$$s. A Thursday game at an out of the way destination with 1000 people in the stands will now become a site with 6000 fans, most of them in blue.

That’s probably the only way they could get in, but maybe something will work out.

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

UK will get in for sure. The tournament is about $$$$s. A Thursday game at an out of the way destination with 1000 people in the stands will now become a site with 6000 fans, most of them in blue.

Pretty sure this has been dispelled may times.

Spoiler alert for those that do not know: NCAA tournament games are nearly as well attended or watched as many believe. There is a reason it has been relegated mostly to cable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

UK still has work to do. BBN alone isn't going to get them in. 

• Like 1

UK may have picked up two Quad one wins tonight. Texas A&M was ranked 35th going into tonight and they just beat 20th ranked Arkansas. So Texas A&M may move into the top 30. Which if they do, that makes UKs win at home over them a Quad one win. So UK may be at 3 quad wins, once the NET rankings are updated tomorrow morning. 

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

UK may have picked up two Quad one wins tonight. Texas A&M was ranked 35th going into tonight and they just beat 20th ranked Arkansas. So Texas A&M may move into the top 30. Which if they do, that makes UKs win at home over them a Quad one win. So UK may be at 3 quad wins, once the NET rankings are updated tomorrow morning. 

UK is not up to 40th in the NET ranking. They currently still only have 1 quad one win, because Texas A&M only moved up to 31st and didn’t make the top 30. When and if Texas A&M makes the top 30 it would give UK another quad one victory. 

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

UK is not up to 40th in the NET ranking. They currently still only have 1 quad one win, because Texas A&M only moved up to 31st and didn’t make the top 30. When and if Texas A&M makes the top 30 it would give UK another quad one victory. 

What's that put them at, 2-7 vs. Q1 teams?

On 2/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, futurecoach said:

Since the NET rankings is one of the big tools they use these days in regards to selecting teams for the NCAA tournament. I figured it would be good to have a thread on it, since we may be looking at these rankings a lot in the coming weeks. 

UK currently is 45th in the rankings, one spot ahead of North Carolina that is 46th. UK was 36th over a week ago until that loss to Georgia. UK at this time only had one quad one victory, but has a chance to pick up a second one tomorrow night. 

4 of Kentucky’s 9 losses have came against teams ranked in the top 12 currently. Then a total of 7 of their losses have came against teams in the top 44. UK does have a win against the 3rd ranked team at Tennessee. So IMO UK still has a good chance to make the tournament. 

(Which I know before some of our regulars say it. I know it is sad that we even have to resort to watching NET rankings just to try to make the tournament)

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

UK has now moved up to 33rd in the NET rankings and has 4 quad one wins. 

• Like 1