Covington Holy Cross 83 Highlands 77

Fun game to call on Holy Cross Radio as the home team bounces back from last night’s disappointing game (vs Conner) to beat a really good Highlands team.

The Indians never trailed in the game racing out to a 30-13 first quarter lead. They would eventually build a 20 point lead in the 2nd quarter. The Birds cut the lead to 12 at the half 44-32.

Holy Cross started the 4th with an 11-pt lead but Highlands would get as close as 2 points with about 3:00 to go before Holy Cross closed it out making 6/6 FTs in the final minute. HC Senior Jacob Meyer led all scorers with 27 points and added 8 assists. Seniors Javier Ward had 23 and Jacob Smith had 22 (5/10 from 3). Sam Gibson with 7 pts and 14 rebs. Matt Dreas had 9 assists.

Highlands had 5 in double figures led by Junior Nathan Vinson with 20 pts and 11 rebs. Senior William Herald had 18 points and Brayden Moeves had 14.

Highlands 13 19 20 25 - 77

Holy Cross 30 14 19 20 - 83

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO Holy Cross was much better in the early to mid part of the first half when Meyer was facilitating and not looking to score.  He made his team much better and the score showed.  They busted out to a 18-20 point lead and were playing really good basketball.  That appeared to help them play good defense as well.  Then , HC reverted to more of what they normally do and this allowed Highlands to get right back into the game.  I'd prefer to see them play more as a team as they did in the first half, I think they'd fair better in the long run.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5-oh said:

IMO Holy Cross was much better in the early to mid part of the first half when Meyer was facilitating and not looking to score.  He made his team much better and the score showed.  They busted out to a 18-20 point lead and were playing really good basketball.  That appeared to help them play good defense as well.  Then , HC reverted to more of what they normally do and this allowed Highlands to get right back into the game.  I'd prefer to see them play more as a team as they did in the first half, I think they'd fair better in the long run.  

28 minutes ago, 5-oh said:

I can guarantee you he was looking to score, but there were better options and the options were hitting. He has been doing that all year. Great game by both teams last night.  Great energy at Holy Cross.  Even better was the bounce back after getting the butts handed to them the night before.

• Like 3

Instride is correct. It was a great bounce back win for Coach Sorrell's team after Tuesday night vs Conner.  This Holy Cross team can score. Most people know that. Give Conner credit when they held them to 62 points. They average nearly 80 on the year. The difference last night was Holy Cross played much better defensively (especially in the first half) holding a talented Bluebirds offense to only 32 points. 

As far as Jacob Meyer I'll say this. Some people "outside Latonia" who do not watch the games and just see box scores always seem to want to criticize Jacob Meyer instead of ever giving him any credit. All star players are going to take the most shots on teams. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves to be honest. He has gotten his teammates involved probably more this year than any of the previous 3. He is averaging 8 rebs per game and shooting well over 50% from the field and 40% from 3. Those #s are fantastic for a kid averaging 35 ppg.

For this Holy Cross team to be like last night and compete/beat teams like Highlands, they need to buy in and play better overall defense and continue to share the ball. Last night, Meyer with 27, and 23 and Smith 22. That will win a lot of games. End of rant...

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

✓ Instride is correct. It was a great bounce back win for Coach Sorrell's team after Tuesday night vs Conner.  This Holy Cross team can score. Most people know that. Give Conner credit when they held them to 62 points. They average nearly 80 on the year. The difference last night was Holy Cross played much better defensively (especially in the first half) holding a talented Bluebirds offense to only 32 points. 

✓As far as Jacob Meyer I'll say this. Some people "outside Latonia" who do not watch the games and just see box scores always seem to want to criticize Jacob Meyer instead of ever giving him any credit. All star players are going to take the most shots on teams. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves to be honest. He has gotten his teammates involved probably more this year than any of the previous 3. He is averaging 8 rebs per game and shooting well over 50% from the field and 40% from 3. Those #s are fantastic for a kid averaging 35 ppg.

✓For this Holy Cross team to be like last night and compete/beat teams like Highlands, they need to buy in and play better overall defense and continue to share the ball. Last night, Meyer with 27, and 23 and Smith 22. That will win a lot of games. End of rant...

✓ I gotta say I own being the problem in the update thread - long on stats, short on analysis, and some off the cuff remarks lacked a generosity of spirit. 

The game was well played by the Indians team. The stream was, as always, excellent.

Congratulations to all on a great game.