Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Petrino is a great coach BUT

Featured Replies

He doesnt seem to have a whole lot of class. First situation, which isnt all that bad. A few years ago he had the UK game won and punched in another TD to run up the score a little more.

2nd situation-Takes a player like Brad Durham. Promises him a scholarship and then lies to him and pulls the offer.

3rd situation-He did not inform several of his assistants that he was leaving. In particular, Jeff Brohm found out from a guy at the Courier Journal that he was leaving.

Hes a great football caoch, but I just don't like a lot of the things he does.

^ I can understand your displeasure...

 

If anything Bobby has been close mouthed to outsiders, and kept everything inside, making his delivery awful....The running up the score (take it as you will, UK was upset when he kneeled it the year before), Brad Durham, well, if he didn't think he would fit in the system, it's better to find out before losing any eligibility, the 3rd falls back on his occasional lack of proper judgement, but from being around the family, that happens occasionally.

He doesnt seem to have a whole lot of class. First situation, which isnt all that bad. A few years ago he had the UK game won and punched in another TD to run up the score a little more.

2nd situation-Takes a player like Brad Durham. Promises him a scholarship and then lies to him and pulls the offer.

3rd situation-He did not inform several of his assistants that he was leaving. In particular, Jeff Brohm found out from a guy at the Courier Journal that he was leaving.

Hes a great football caoch, but I just don't like a lot of the things he does.

Petrino had been accused of taking too many knees against UK. So that one seems a little small.

 

I'm already on record about the Durham thing, no need to rehash it. Anyone getting their pitchforks ready for the kids that might decommit to Louisville?

 

How he treated his assistants is the one that does bother me. I still think in general that he's not a 'snake' or a 'liar' or whatever people are calling him in the heat of the moment now. I hope eventually wounds heal and he's remembered fondly around here. But there's no excuse about that one.

  • Author
^ I can understand your displeasure...

 

If anything Bobby has been close mouthed to outsiders, and kept everything inside, making his delivery awful....The running up the score (take it as you will, UK was upset when he kneeled it the year before), Brad Durham, well, if he didn't think he would fit in the system, it's better to find out before losing any eligibility, the 3rd falls back on his occasional lack of proper judgement, but from being around the family, that happens occasionally.

 

The running up the score thing doesnt really bother me that bad. I wouldnt do it in that situation, but to each his own. I still feel very strongly that what he did to Durham was wrong and unethical. And the 3rd thing he did shows a lack of loyalty and respect for his coaching staff.

Jurich said that Bobby and his family will ALWAYS be welcome at Louisville.

Jurich said that Bobby and his family will ALWAYS be welcome at Louisville.

Would you really expect him to say anything otherwise? I would be willing to bet that there were words behind closed doors that did not have that same tone. As the Ad, he handled the public forum just as he should have.

Petrino had been accused of taking too many knees against UK. So that one seems a little small.

 

I'm already on record about the Durham thing, no need to rehash it. Anyone getting their pitchforks ready for the kids that might decommit to Louisville?

 

How he treated his assistants is the one that does bother me. I still think in general that he's not a 'snake' or a 'liar' or whatever people are calling him in the heat of the moment now. I hope eventually wounds heal and he's remembered fondly around here. But there's no excuse about that one.

 

I think he is kind of a snake... not a liar, really, but he's sneaky-sneaky, sir. I'm STILL having mixed feelings. I can't say I wouldn't do the exact same thing in his scenario. And with the exception of those talks with LSU and whatnot, I've been very happy to have him as a coach. And I guess it's better for him to leave the program on the rise than in the dust (HOWEVER, I still think he'd get us a championship that much sooner if he stayed. We may experience a delay on that, but let's hope not!!!).

Would you really expect him to say anything otherwise? I would be willing to bet that there were words behind closed doors that did not have that same tone. As the Ad, he handled the public forum just as he should have.

I will agree with you.

Would you really expect him to say anything otherwise? I would be willing to bet that there were words behind closed doors that did not have that same tone. As the Ad, he handled the public forum just as he should have.
They doubled his salary. At that point Jurich has no buisness but to say congratulations.
I think he is kind of a snake... not a liar, really, but he's sneaky-sneaky, sir. I'm STILL having mixed feelings. I can't say I wouldn't do the exact same thing in his scenario. And with the exception of those talks with LSU and whatnot, I've been very happy to have him as a coach. And I guess it's better for him to leave the program on the rise than in the dust (HOWEVER, I still think he'd get us a championship that much sooner if he stayed. We may experience a delay on that, but let's hope not!!!).

 

I will tell you a similar feeling I had with Pitino because I can tell you feel the same way now as I did when he left. I felt awful when he left and worse when I saw how happy he was at the Boston press conference; saying the same thing he said at the Ky press conference---"this is the greatest place in the world to play basketball" or words to that effect. In other words, I hurt worse than he did.

 

It didn't help that Pitino said he wasn't leaving for the pros and just signed a new contract and "it wasn't about the money. Saban did the same thing--"I'm not interested in Alabama." My point is, just say it IS about the money. I don't think anyone can blame a human being for saying "I was offered a few million and turned it down but then they came with many more millions and I just couldn't turn it down." Instead, the coaches invariably shy away from this answer and look ridiculous and say something like "it wasn't about the money" or "it was the right time" or "I always wanted this job". But most times, they didn't want the job till gobs of money got put on the table.

 

I don't know why Petrino left after such success (I haven't had time to read or hear) but we know the money was a factor. Just tell your staff and fans how much fun you have had, you have to look after your best interests, but an offer was made you couldn't refuse. He has been a great coach and UL has become a national power under him.

 

But recruits and fans will understand the truth alot easier than trying to put spin on what happened. Not just Petrino, but all the coaches who leave after success. But as you say, and just like Rick, it always pains the loyal fan base, to see your coach meeting other schools or professional programs at hotels; whether it be during the season or immediately after it.

I will tell you a similar feeling I had with Pitino because I can tell you feel the same way now as I did when he left. I felt awful when he left and worse when I saw how happy he was at the Boston press conference; saying the same thing he said at the Ky press conference---"this is the greatest place in the world to play basketball" or words to that effect. In other words, I hurt worse than he did.

 

It didn't help that Pitino said he wasn't leaving for the pros and just signed a new contract and "it wasn't about the money. Saban did the same thing--"I'm not interested in Alabama." My point is, just say it IS about the money. I don't think anyone can blame a human being for saying "I was offered a few million and turned it down but then they came with many more millions and I just couldn't turn it down." Instead, the coaches invariably shy away from this answer and look ridiculous and say something like "it wasn't about the money" or "it was the right time" or "I always wanted this job". But most times, they didn't want the job till gobs of money got put on the table.

 

I don't know why Petrino left after such success (I haven't had time to read or hear) but we know the money was a factor. Just tell your staff and fans how much fun you have had, you have to look after your best interests, but an offer was made you couldn't refuse. He has been a great coach and UL has become a national power under him.

 

But recruits and fans will understand the truth alot easier than trying to put spin on what happened. Not just Petrino, but all the coaches who leave after success. But as you say, and just like Rick, it always pains the loyal fan base, to see your coach meeting other schools or professional programs at hotels; whether it be during the season or immediately after it.

 

I think it's a funny yet fair comparison with Petrino and Pitino. Pitino is all about the word play... he'll SO go into politics after he's done with basketball. Where as Petrino just kept his mouth shut. It's impossible to please everyone, with either method.

I think it's a funny yet fair comparison with Petrino and Pitino. Pitino is all about the word play... he'll SO go into politics after he's done with basketball. Where as Petrino just kept his mouth shut. It's impossible to please everyone, with either method.

 

 

Wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, good luck with your new coach. It just seems to me that both of them could give their fans a little longer to enjoy the fruits of the season. I'm not sure how long it was after the NCAA finals that Rick split but it really doesn't matter in the long run. If they are going to go I guess one could argue it gives the team a better and longer time to search.

They doubled his salary. At that point Jurich has no buisness but to say congratulations.

Is that not what I posted?:confused:

Petrino had been accused of taking too many knees against UK. So that one seems a little small.

 

I'm already on record about the Durham thing, no need to rehash it. Anyone getting their pitchforks ready for the kids that might decommit to Louisville?

How he treated his assistants is the one that does bother me. I still think in general that he's not a 'snake' or a 'liar' or whatever people are calling him in the heat of the moment now. I hope eventually wounds heal and he's remembered fondly around here. But there's no excuse about that one.

 

To me its two different things. Any kids that committed to play at UL, were committing to play for Petrino as much as anything else. With Petrino gone the situation is different.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.